Can these property losses be carried back?
I’d appreciate any input on this please.
Husband and wife own a rental property. The property was a furnished holiday rental for many years, then a furnished long term let for 5 years. The long term tenant left the property damaged (December 2011 when the tenant left). Husband and wife decided to turn it back into a furnished holiday let following repair to damage. Repairs have been carried out between January 2012 and November 2012, and were due to be completed along with the first booking in December 2012.
November 2012 a landslide rendered the land around the property unsafe and halted the repairs. The current news is that it won’t be safe to even get close to the property until spring 2013 (possibly April 2013). Even then the property could be demolished because of the unsafe land. Meaning the December 2012 booking can no longer go head, neither can any further bookings until the situation is clear.
Can any losses be carried back here?
- vat gross margins 170 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 149 4
- e mail 59 1
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 778 8
- Auto enrolment 562 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,335 6
- VAT on new build property 136 2
- Auto enrolment 289 9
- SAGE 50 2011 113 1
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 161 3
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,621 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,845 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 175 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 884 18
- 1st year reporting under FRS 102 - Property revaluation 249 5
- IFA giving dodgy advice? 378 9
- Recommendations for Accounting Software 274 4
- Training (again) 333 4
- Online Back Up 433 9
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 207 5
- NHS finance professionals 667
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 410
- Foreign Pension Contribution 375
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 356
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 347
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 309
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 271
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 226
- IFA income recognition & reporting 211