Can these property losses be carried back?
I’d appreciate any input on this please.
Husband and wife own a rental property. The property was a furnished holiday rental for many years, then a furnished long term let for 5 years. The long term tenant left the property damaged (December 2011 when the tenant left). Husband and wife decided to turn it back into a furnished holiday let following repair to damage. Repairs have been carried out between January 2012 and November 2012, and were due to be completed along with the first booking in December 2012.
November 2012 a landslide rendered the land around the property unsafe and halted the repairs. The current news is that it won’t be safe to even get close to the property until spring 2013 (possibly April 2013). Even then the property could be demolished because of the unsafe land. Meaning the December 2012 booking can no longer go head, neither can any further bookings until the situation is clear.
Can any losses be carried back here?
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 183 4
- VAT Query 147 2
- Overlap relief 687 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 148 2
- Sacked my first client 589 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 380 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 191 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,243 24
- Share transfer question 245 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 600 11
- Trades and deadlines 114 3
- How to pay national insurance 639 18
- New Website Look 1,065 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 250 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 218 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 150 4
- Marketing and email surprises 341 7
- Am I too soft? 452 13
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,216 16
- Humour me...worrying without need? 308 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- WIP Software 284
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 216
- No payroll scheme in place 213
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 193
- Software recommendations 193
- Is there anything wrong with this? 184
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 182