Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Mandatory Capitalisation 99 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 84 1
- Allowable expenses on retal property 86 1
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 153 3
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,309 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 276 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 113 2
- notarising & legalising documents 164 4
- question 429 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 395 11
- Income prior to company formation 204 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 116 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 144 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 143 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 419 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 455 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 205 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,415 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 311 6
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 103 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 398
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 285
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 260
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 254
- French ConnectionUK 202
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 188
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 186
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 181
- APN's 173
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 147