Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Self Assessment and P11D 61 2
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 124 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 604 22
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 864 36
- TRONC scheme 100 1
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 115 3
- Investment from Friend 140 8
- Advice on letting a client go ? 686 13
- Capital Gains Relief 145 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,600 29
- Identity check problem 1,251 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 186 3
- Business Set up cost 104 1
- Aged Debtor 82 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 966 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 99 3
- blank - ignore 500 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 89 2
- calculate mortgage interest 366 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 458 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 574
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 472
- Entrepreneurs' relief 418
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 343
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 242
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 235
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 165