Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,969 45
- Love is in the air 197 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,663 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 365 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 392 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 491 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 146 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 638 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 341 7
- HMRC accounting 277 3
- Employers NI allowance 452 6
- Dividend taxation 276 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 186 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 183 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 168 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 449 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 281 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 262
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 233
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 187