Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 202 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 728 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 99 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 383 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 303 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 95 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 219 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 131 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 234 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 126 4
- SA302's anyone?? 503 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,596 41
- Renting for military reasons 149 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,529 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,037 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 110 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 126 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 510 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,987 30
- Tax status of prizes 322 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 281
- Management expenses for investment company 258
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 165
- P11D benefit received by widow 147