Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 843 37
- Pension Contributions Relief 383 12
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 420 18
- Furnished lettings criteria 188 2
- Is this fraud? 374 6
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 78 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 778 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,471 31
- Saying goodbye 467 13
- Tax on private fuel for own car 210 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 1,015 11
- Flat rate scheme 210 3
- Drop box Storage 219 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 284 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,199 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 624 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 422 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 168 2
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 140 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 206 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,276
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 456
- National Insurance 353
- Non Resident 270
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 262
- Franchise income and costs 242
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Employer's Helpline 150
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 147
- employment capital allowances 140