Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 288 17
- Free invoicing software 72 1
- New business - journal entries 192 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 525 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 233 7
- Why should I retain membership? 2,538 43
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 151 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 398 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 657 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 328 4
- Trade name 54 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 180 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 113 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 102 1
- Lettings expenses 106 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 358 12
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 334 11
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 302 9
- PAYE 460 12
- Using CT600.pdf if all the directors are different 100 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 731
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 375
- Social investment tax relief 195
- Digita Hosted Software 188
- Call Centre Data Costs 185
- option to tax 168
- VAT on deposits 161
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 148
- Travel costs and contractors 138