Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- FHL - hedge purchase 104 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 528 18
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 271 3
- Fees 476 6
- HMRC Post 584 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 439 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 191 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 445 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 290 3
- www.pool.adzio 164 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 192 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,883 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 288 3
- Transactions with directors 484 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 314 9
- Non VAT invoices 252 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,438 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 282 5
- Form 17 Download 199 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 601 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 769
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 421
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 304
- S222 Charge 253
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 216
- IP trans to holding company 197
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 191
- AIA 189
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 183