Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- CIC Company 372 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,638 57
- Is this a scam? 746 8
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,531 41
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 110 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 319 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 229 5
- New company - form a group? 151 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 170 4
- PITA client 199 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 360 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,309 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 738 15
- Dividend dates 486 8
- R&D tax credit claim 211 5
- CIS Deductions 271 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 110 1
- is this fraud? 786 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 494 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,534 28
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 331
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 254
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 182
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 176
- Car leasing scheme 175
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 153