Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,036 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,182 44
- R&D tax claim 234 7
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 521 18
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 503 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 164 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 122 2
- Gift to employee 365 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 134 1
- Transfer of a business 121 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,127 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 410 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 112 2
- Sage Import Data 308 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 115 2
- Best time software for small practice? 229 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 317 13
- private to company car? 366 9
- Which address 1,025 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 475
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 329
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 266
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 253
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 203
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 155
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 139
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133