Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,297 27
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 111 3
- utr 51 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 268 7
- Companies House incorporation service 57 1
- P9D or P11D 675 7
- CT return error message 357 10
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,674 43
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 493 9
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 103 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 87 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 84 1
- Audit rules 362 8
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 290 7
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 216 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 812 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 183 2
- FRS17 query 202 2
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 998 6
- Charge HMRC 269 2
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 307
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 274
- CIS schemes 207
- Domain name sale and limited company 199
- Investment 178
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 171
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 170