Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Accountant software 399 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 128 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 225 1
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 133 2
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 190 4
- CIS gross status review 82 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 118 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 346 6
- Flat rate vat error 236 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 125 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 137 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 72 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 130 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 354 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 611 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 262 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 603 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 198 4
- Charge out rates in London? 209 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 177 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 749
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 481
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 295
- How to format a stock book 260
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 210
- Tax efficient holding company structure 199
- Investment property company accounts template 188
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 184
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 167
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 155