Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Goodie bag 112 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 186 5
- Husband Wife let property 136 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 439 8
- Career in Practice 117 2
- Relevant life plan 340 8
- Limited Company expenses 374 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 192 6
- Telemarketing 160 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 149 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 137 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 180 3
- how to value rental space 101 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 326 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 69 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 463 5
- Output tax for retailer 262 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 449 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,932 32
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 96 1
- Possible Partnership? 601
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 500
- New Fangled Penalties 408
- Clubs and Taxable Income 330
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 297
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 251
- Loans to other companies 243
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 211
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 206
- Outsource Data Entry 205