Can you carry back losses which were brought forward?
Farming client made a loss in 2009/10. Losses could not be utilised so were carried forward to 2010/11. No tax due for 09/10.
Profit made in 2010/11 and averaged with 2009/10, resulting in a tax liability for 09/10 but no tax for 10/11 due to losses brought forward. However if we could carry back the losses which had been brought forward we could eliminate the 09/10 tax and still have enough losses left over in 10/11 for there to be no tax due.
The averaging claim does not save any tax as there is no tax for either year whether we average or not, but by averaging we give ourselves a lower profit figure should we need to average again in 2011/12.
The question is, are we allowed to carry back losses which had been brought forward purely by claiming on the 2010/11 Tax Return or would we need to amend and re-submit the 2009/10 Tax Return too?
- Where has Portia gone? 2,122 68
- recompense capital input 92 3
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 621 17
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 62 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 171 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 168 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 202 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 964 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 153 3
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 378 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 234 5
- Merging my businesses 214 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 574 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 469 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 357 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 331 1
- Holiday entitlement 588 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 327 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 170 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 241 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 792
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 318
- Sanzar 314
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 297
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179