Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 88 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 797 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 156 3
- Property scam victim 315 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 256 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 239 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 53 1
- Have i messed up? 746 11
- VAT on garage rent 128 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 423 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 53 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 101 2
- Tasks for new trainees 147 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 69 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 70 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 563 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,648 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 260 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,811 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,092
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 575
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 383
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 288
- Charge out rates in London? 242
- Interest on Loan to a Company 189
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 174
- Agent fees to sell business 163
- Alphabet shares 160
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 154