Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Limited company buying a car 152 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 278 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 458 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 555 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 186 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 116 2
- ACCA practice certificates 495 5
- Limited company buying director's car 292 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 81 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 108 1
- WC's and capital allowances 174 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 311 13
- Dress code 1,547 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 482 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 259 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 379 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 473 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 195 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 114 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 481
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 397
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 280
- Expat pension contributions? 257
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Trust for Employee 237
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 183
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147