Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Can anybody recommend any software 159 2
- Family Partnership 126 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,040 29
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 45 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 338 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 96 3
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 714 11
- flat rate scheme 2,219 41
- HMRC Postal Delays 371 10
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,368 14
- Legal advisor recommendation please 274 5
- Closure of PAYE scheme 189 2
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 191 2
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 192 3
- Termination Payment 510 15
- Company Share Buy Back 347 8
- P11D Car Value 144 2
- Business lending another business money (UK) 253 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 302 5
- bookkeeping system 704 9