Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Cash in Hand 181 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 194 5
- are receipts needed? 637 17
- SA302's anyone?? 621 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 337 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 153 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 358 12
- Busines software 188 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 214 6
- Converting a barn for business use 190 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 321 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 330 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 496 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 339 3
- Bookkeping software 740 7
- Clogged Losses 290 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 285 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 671 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 282 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 140 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 523
- NOVA 375
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 337
- Management expenses for investment company 278
- Bonus Bonds 276
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 187
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 171
- EXACT ONLINE 170
- P11D benefit received by widow 167