Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Website Content 375 4
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 140 2
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 270 9
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 654 12
- Incorporated company charity 108 2
- property capital gains 311 3
- Closing down loss-making company 612 10
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 360 5
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 431 5
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,107 19
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 402 2
- Tips on meals 402 3
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 243 2
- Stumped - IHT 453 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 576 12
- Transferring DLA between Directors 378 3
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 152 2
- Creative Auto Enrolment 864 12
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,437 35
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 167 3