Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 213 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 15 1
- CIS and Close Company 59 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 208 4
- Secondment expenses 140 3
- VAT Option to tax 434 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 97 4
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 133 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 81 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 88 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 129 3
- VAT Registration 318 5
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 82 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 246 6
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 113 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 69 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,253 19
- husband and wife dividends 410 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 152 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 310 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 634
- Free Tax Legislation? 395
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 318
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 219
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177