Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Overseas bank interest 156 5
- Cash basis 299 9
- Contractor accommodation expenses 117 1
- Undeclared rental income 1,958 20
- Kasperskey - home pc 320 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 171 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 277 4
- Statutory sick pay 142 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,902 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,291 12
- Lorry Drivers 365 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 241 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,641 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 143 1
- PRR 588 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 220 2
- Partially exempt? 319 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 268 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 609 4
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 261 10
- Skandia using wrong address 534
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 291
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 287
- Employee rewards 278
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 250
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 243
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 232
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 141