Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- How much does the company pay 44 2
- Help with CGT please 72 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 106 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 307 6
- Benefit in Kind 288 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 315 17
- Will I need to resign? 927 11
- Cocaine anyone? 662 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 252 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 148 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 194 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 180 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 842 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 544 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 713 13
- Personal pension 446 9
- Business rates consultancy 272 4
- Wrong tax code 182 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 109 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 334 10
- Hive up 514
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 475
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 298
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 244
- WWOOFers 239
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 221
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 197
- The booking.com con 181
- UK State pension paid in NZ 168