Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 543 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,060 51
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 175 4
- Peer to Peer lending 1,049 8
- Small company audit 310 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 102 2
- R&D tax credit claim 254 6
- CIC Company 494 6
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 347 8
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 251 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 508 11
- HMRC Property campaign 787 10
- Estate agent and VAT registration 192 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 123 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 380 12
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 220 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 234 5
- Problem partnership fees 159 1
- Car financed by employee 147 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 147 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 610
- Cancelled 355
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 338
- Cancelled 291
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 268
- Probiz 255
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 210
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 200
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 192
- Car leasing scheme 188