Capital Allowances - Balancing Charge?
Hi all. I have a client who has ceased being self employed in the tax year 2011-2012 and become an employee. I have taken over from a previous accountant but have been unable to get any previous years paperwork or calculations due to the Accountant being seriously ill.
I know there is a Capital Allowances balance b/fwd of £6k which needs dealing with. My client does not know what the capital allowance is or that he was even claiming capital allowances. I think that it is for his vehicle which he still has.
My question is do I write off the whole balance as a balancing charge (£6k) for the client to then have to pay tax on it? I have been advised by HMRC that is what needs to happen but would like other accountants views.
Thank you for any help provided.
- The stupidity continues 1,402 73
- Withdrawing company car 95 1
- looking for a practice consultant 116 1
- AML report needed? 166 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 203 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 72 1
- transactions after account have been closed 307 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 64 1
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 157 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 388 9
- Marketing and email surprises 449 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 764 26
- What is IRIS World like? 409 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 322 5
- Mlom bollocks 252 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 106 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 590 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 311 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 284 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 444
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 443
- WIP Software 308
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 293
- No payroll scheme in place 242
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 198
- Uncommercial property business 189