Capital allowances on buildings
I have a limited company client who owns a care home which was purchased in 1991.
We recently instructed Quantity/Land Surveyors to prepare reports to enable us to calculate the fixtures & fittings contained within the building. We used the VOA's preferred method.
We have written to the previous owner of the home to establish whether a claim had been submitted in the past but have had no response despite numerous attempts.
We are about to submit the claim but are worried as we could not establish whether a previous claim had been made. There is a rule whereby if capital allowances have not been claimed since July 1996 then there is no restriction but I am not sure whether this rule is only for purchases made after July 1996 whereas our client purchased in 1991.
Thanks in advance.
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,231 7
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,225 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 963 29
- You know its over 354 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 497 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 232 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 185 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 167 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 261 3
- Cocaine anyone? 519 8
- Late Registration for VAT 495 13
- EIS/SEIS 152 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 280 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 424 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 428 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 727 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 563 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 595 4
- Personal pension 404 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 225 1
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 460
- corporate hierarchy 441
- Advice - 274
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 227
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 209
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 204
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 184
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 176