Capital allowances on buildings
I have a limited company client who owns a care home which was purchased in 1991.
We recently instructed Quantity/Land Surveyors to prepare reports to enable us to calculate the fixtures & fittings contained within the building. We used the VOA's preferred method.
We have written to the previous owner of the home to establish whether a claim had been submitted in the past but have had no response despite numerous attempts.
We are about to submit the claim but are worried as we could not establish whether a previous claim had been made. There is a rule whereby if capital allowances have not been claimed since July 1996 then there is no restriction but I am not sure whether this rule is only for purchases made after July 1996 whereas our client purchased in 1991.
Thanks in advance.
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,696 32
- Where has Portia gone? 727 26
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,550 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,836 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,290 19
- HMRC Scam 264 2
- Departments in Sage 50 93 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 235 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 265 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 108 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 78 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 453 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 132 2
- AIA - new period 222 1
- Self assessment question 1,162 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 379 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 269 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 859 20
- Dividend Tax Rate 448 8
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 512
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 396
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 228
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 227