Capital allowances on buildings
I have a limited company client who owns a care home which was purchased in 1991.
We recently instructed Quantity/Land Surveyors to prepare reports to enable us to calculate the fixtures & fittings contained within the building. We used the VOA's preferred method.
We have written to the previous owner of the home to establish whether a claim had been submitted in the past but have had no response despite numerous attempts.
We are about to submit the claim but are worried as we could not establish whether a previous claim had been made. There is a rule whereby if capital allowances have not been claimed since July 1996 then there is no restriction but I am not sure whether this rule is only for purchases made after July 1996 whereas our client purchased in 1991.
Thanks in advance.
- What would you do in this situation? 442 11
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 100 3
- Help Required 242 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 199 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 362 14
- What's in a name ? 188 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 112 3
- ATED Penalties 244 1
- late second payment on account 133 2
- US royalties 56 2
- Project being run jointly 108 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 158 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 125 3
- Sole trader mix up 272 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 719 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 880 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 202 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 490 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 153 5
- CTA study material 693
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 419
- Employment related securities question 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 241
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 193
- Trust for Employee 180
- Expat pension contributions? 176
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 149
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 124
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 112