Capital allowances on car introduced into self-employment business
An individual owns a car, and runs a business. They are self-employed. They owned the car before the business commenced, but so far have been claiming the HMRC mileage allowance for business miles. They now wish to introduce the car into the business and claim motor expenses under the "full cost" method, including capital allowances on the car. Which dates are important for determining the capital allowance on the car? Obviously the car needs to be brought into the business accounts at the open market value at the point at which the "full cost" motor expenses start to be claimed, and an element of private use will apply to the eventual capital allowances claimed. But is the date for capital allowance purposes (pre or post April 2009) the date at which the car was brought into the business, or the date at which the car was purchased by the business owner? I assume the former, but would appreciate clarification on this.
Second question - does it make any difference if the motor expenses arise as costs from running a furnished holiday let. The income in this case will be treated as property income rather than self employment income. Not sure if this makes a difference to the tax treatment of the car.
Many thanks for any assistance on this.
- AIA/Capital Allowances 145 4
- RTI and Advances to Employees 325 7
- Selling to USA, Delivery to Poland, VAT? 70 1
- HELP CT Return filed but doesnt match up HMRC's AP 172 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,644 23
- International VAT 86 2
- CTA 175 2
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 594 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 691 21
- Insurance payout 98 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 520 11
- RTI / P11d 151 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,096 21
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 272 9
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 370 3
- No more tax returns... 1,211 11
- Company Share Buy Back 282 7
- Sage 200 question 185 3
- P11d query 199 3
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 359 5