Capital allowances on car introduced into self-employment business
An individual owns a car, and runs a business. They are self-employed. They owned the car before the business commenced, but so far have been claiming the HMRC mileage allowance for business miles. They now wish to introduce the car into the business and claim motor expenses under the "full cost" method, including capital allowances on the car. Which dates are important for determining the capital allowance on the car? Obviously the car needs to be brought into the business accounts at the open market value at the point at which the "full cost" motor expenses start to be claimed, and an element of private use will apply to the eventual capital allowances claimed. But is the date for capital allowance purposes (pre or post April 2009) the date at which the car was brought into the business, or the date at which the car was purchased by the business owner? I assume the former, but would appreciate clarification on this.
Second question - does it make any difference if the motor expenses arise as costs from running a furnished holiday let. The income in this case will be treated as property income rather than self employment income. Not sure if this makes a difference to the tax treatment of the car.
Many thanks for any assistance on this.
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,148 45
- Mortgage Reference 68 1
- Practical experience 828 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 407 9
- Personal Tax 117 1
- VAT 301 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 161 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 118 1
- last minute request 217 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 115 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 76 1
- Cash gift from India 487 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 73 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 414 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 96 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 239 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 650 6
- Overseas workday relief 162 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 311 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 669 13