Capital Allowances on HP
Ok, I understand the principles of accounting for HP contracts (unless somebody shoots me down here)
It is rather subjective but if you have determined that the contract is a finance lease (as opposed to operating) then you capitalise the agreed value as an asset and have a corresponding liability.
All capital payments go agaisnt the liability but all interest payments go to the PNL. For tax purposes (ignoring capital allowances at this point) only the interest element is deductible.
Reading then about the capital allowances and notional ownership can anybody briefly advise whether or not a contract in which the lessee has the option to buy the asset at the end of the contract is eligible for capital allowances?
CA23310 (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/camanual/CA23310.htm) seems to state that such an arrangement does not come under capital allowances until the final payment has been made but then states that The Capital Allowances Act 2001 is very generous and allows capital allowances as soon as the asset is brought into use.
And what if the material facts of a particular HP contract where you only have the option to buy indicated, overall, that the commercial substance was that of a finance lease? I.e. over 90% of the fair value of the asset. I've probably misread something, it's been a long old day.
Sorry for asking something quite technical but I would very much appreciate any nuggets of guidance.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 257 9
- LLP - Member leaving 148 6
- what time is it ? 89 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 258 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,059 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 674 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 226 4
- Year end 162 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 574 21
- How would you account for warranty? 160 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 404 22
- Sweet Tooth 189 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 180 2
- trading or dormant 119 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 131 1
- tax credits 143 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 573 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 277 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 124 1
- Foreign income for self employed 140 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 879
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 246
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 242
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 167