Capital Gain Calculation for Second Home
I think I know the answer to this one but I'm not certain, it relates to PPR and transfer of land.
Client owned House A and his mother lived at House B which was adjacent. Client's mother died some years ago and he inherited House B (which was later transferred into 50/50 owenship with client's wife). Various improvements to House B were made, it was rented out for some years and then sold last year for a profit, which even after taking into account improvements, the split ownership and the capital gains allowance will still amount in some capital gains tax, the client never lived in House B so if wouldn't attract any PPR relief. After acquiring House B but before selling it the client moved from House A to House C some distance away, at the time House A would have attracted full PPR relief and no CGT paid.
So far so good - however two of the improvements to House B involved the acquisition of land, one was bought from a neighbour, client has the records and I am including the value of the land as an improvement in the calculation. The complication is that some land was transferred from the deeds of House A (the clients old private residence) to House B, the value at the time would only have been a few thousand (based on the value of the other similar land acquired at arms length around the same time).
The client had initially wanted to include this land under the improvements - but clearly this is not right as there was no cost to acquiring the land - it was freely transferred. My question is would any PPR attach to this small section of land, which at one point had been part of the Client's PPR? TCGA 1992 s222 refers to disposing of an interest in:
"(b)land which he has for his own occupation and enjoyment with that residence as its garden or grounds up to the permitted area"
This criteria appears to be met and had this land been disposed of with House A it would have qualified fully for PPR relief, when the land was transferred to the deed of the second property it still remained under the ownership of the client, although it ceased to be part of the principal residence at that point.
Any advice welcomed.
- Tax case refeence request 30 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 752 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 205 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,888 29
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 415 24
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 229 5
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,869 64
- Working out a daily rate 97 5
- Auto enrolment 1,209 13
- Payroll dates 101 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 274 8
- Withholding of tax 80 1
- missing 926 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 150 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 88 1
- are receipts needed? 138 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 506 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 192 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 166 7
- Partnership merger 86 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 869
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 246
- Management expenses for investment company 228
- Bonus Bonds 226
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 216
- Help with tax codes on Sage 169
- Capital reduction 160