Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 18 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,126 10
- Cocaine anyone? 202 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,476 22
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 839 26
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 282 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 470 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 256 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 333 11
- Tax return software for remote working 485 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 558 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 453 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 453 9
- How to purchase business premises? 180 2
- Will I need to resign? 841 10
- Childcare vouchers 193 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 278 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 300 6
- VAT avoidance? 246 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 198 3
- Hive up 476
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 439
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 249
- Amortisation of Goodwill 224
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 210
- WWOOFers 205
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 193
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 184
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 181