Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 139 4
- PRR 454 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 58 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 230 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 294 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 206 2
- cross border vat 115 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,907 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 777 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 283 12
- Can't read my handwriting 634 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,653 74
- Employing a carer 132 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 534 16
- Corp Tax Refund 175 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 403 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 282 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 95 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 236 1
- Audit partner? 280 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,373
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 519
- National Insurance 414
- Non Resident 321
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 227
- Employer's Helpline 188
- CIS paid under reg 9 186
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 149