Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 237 8
- VAT flat rate scheme 154 2
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 229 4
- Client information from previous accountant 41 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 71 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 62 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 355 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 119 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,652 31
- PAYE NI 99 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 105 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 820 14
- How much to charge? 694 10
- break even point 1,003 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 171 5
- Accomodation and travel 204 1
- Unpaid Fee's 348 6
- Issue with a software supplier 232 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 304 5
- Possible Partnership? 511
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 491
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 467
- New Fangled Penalties 307
- Clubs and Taxable Income 258
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 257
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 250
- Loans to other companies 192
- Tasbook email configuration 183
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 167