Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Sole trader paying Class 1 NIC 69 1
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 226 7
- Stock of photos to capatilise 286 14
- Spousal transfer and PPR 774 34
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 138 4
- Where has Portia gone? 3,470 91
- RTI Payroll ID 700 19
- Rogue Accountant 3,552 57
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 87 2
- Practice management software 1,105 21
- micro entity balance sheet query 135 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 336 19
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 155 1
- VAT on a private sale? 176 5
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 240 3
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,236 24
- Payroll software 189 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 84 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 605 19
- Trade Association Dinner 180 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 818
- Pensions Regulator 462
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 425
- Sanzar 324
- How do you do it 315
- Digital marketing focus group 307
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 279
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 185
- Fit for purpose 181