Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- flat rate scheme 2,432 51
- Importing transactions from VT Cashbook to VT Transaction+ 47 1
- Family Partnership 345 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,261 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 88 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 201 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 250 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 332 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 112 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 340 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 222 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 208 6
- Business trips - director and family 439 3
- Signed accounts for bank 693 15
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 339 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 245 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 125 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 887 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 241 5
- VAT Query on new build 147 1