Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 104 1
- Closing a limited company 94 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 84 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 111 1
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 95 3
- Software 253 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 348 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 404 23
- Broadband costs 191 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 404 14
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 291 11
- Use of home deduction 440 14
- Non resident income. 209 11
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 313 5
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 193 5
- SA800 Returns 222 4
- state pension statement 737 9
- VAT on EU supplies 69 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 100 1
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 155 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 848
- Copy Wanted 588
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 529
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 390
- Entrepreneurs' relief 365
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 322
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 307
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 295
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 206