Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- What would you do in this situation? 475 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 122 3
- Help Required 266 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 217 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 385 14
- What's in a name ? 219 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 143 3
- ATED Penalties 257 1
- late second payment on account 148 2
- US royalties 74 2
- Project being run jointly 120 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 174 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 160 3
- Sole trader mix up 284 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 731 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 886 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 208 4
- Filing company accounts 132 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 503 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 158 5
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 422
- Employment related securities question 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 197
- Trust for Employee 183
- Expat pension contributions? 181
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 151
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 116