Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 184 4
- SA302 276 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 227 4
- Go Cardless 322 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 202 3
- Hmrc software 215 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 105 1
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 162 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 279 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 307 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 241 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 147 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 282 7
- New Email Extensions 197 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 315 2
- Dental practice incorpration 154 1
- Audit rules 180 4
- Xtuple 508
- Qtac payroll for bureau 347
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 291
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 172
- Domain name sale and limited company 168
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 165
- CIS schemes 160
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 141