Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 45 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 395 15
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 840 28
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,059 29
- directors loan 272 8
- Director registration for SA question 280 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 231 3
- New Company reviews please 468 12
- Business only use of company car 609 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 346 4
- CIS not deducted 317 5
- Car Capital Contribution 184 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 212 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 99 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 266 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 359 8
- VAT with Russia 144 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 221 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,167 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 285
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 211
- Any thoughts on Capium? 204
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 147
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 146