Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 256 3
- Weely paid employees 229 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 120 3
- Reregister for VAT 99 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 434 11
- Director's tax return 250 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 196 6
- Value pricing 671 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 55 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 182 5
- Wrong career 457 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 129 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 264 7
- Laptop purchase 1,376 20
- PTP software disaster 260 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 221 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 97 2
- Tricky VAT question 172 1
- VT accounts licence key 261 5
- Splitting the tax year 107 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 547
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 261
- Director Loan account operation 243
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 237
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159