Capital gains tax on sale of shares
One of the conditions for claiming ER is that the taxpayer (T) was employed or an officer throught out one year prior to the disposal of the shares. This is the wording in the article Entrepreneurs' Relief - what you need to know and which I presume is the same as the wording in the statute itself.
In this case T sold shares in a private company generating a CGT liability of over £90K. He qualifies in all respects for ER with the one exception that he had resigned frombeing a director and company secretary approximately 2.5 years prior to the date when he was paid for the shares.
The background is that T was a member of a family which in 2004 started up a company engaged in food manufacture. The company did well but during ensuing years was alwys short of cash. In 2006 an outside interest (OI) purchased shares in the company, injecting capital. By 2008 as the result of rights issues OI had become the majority shareholder. In 2009 by a further rights issue and an accompanying shareholders agreement OI gained total control. OI required T to resign from his posts. At that point T started negotiations with OI to purchase all his shares and this concluded with payment for the shares in Feb 2012.
In principle this seems an obvious case qualifying for ER. i.e. to encourage business enterprise.
Much depends on the interpretation of the words I have referred to "throughout one year prior to the disposal of shares ......" It does not say "throughout one year ending with the date of the disposal of shares..." Furthermore the words "disposal of shares" does not say the "date of disposal of shares". "Disposal" could mean the whole gamut of the prior negotiations as well. Of course, there could be a misquote above but if not there seems to be an ambiguity which by law has to be interpreted in favour of the taxpayer I believe.
Another possibility is that the associated disposal rules might be invoked here.
Any thoughts ?
- Yorkshire Day 226 13
- Do I need a smartphone? 974 26
- Flat rate VAT 220 4
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 24 1
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 865 17
- Best apps for clients 934 7
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 237 5
- Deduction from Salary 963 28
- Accounts Software 321 11
- Group Audit Thresholds 382 11
- Collection or business assets 169 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 436 13
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,812 42
- VAT for client based in Thailand 73 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 857 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 345 5
- Deleted question? 155 1
- Accountancy Career 452 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 102 1
- Employee and subcontractor 213 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 694
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 548
- Cancelled 434
- Cancelled 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 342
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 341
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 211