Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Property Expenses - Allowable 236 2
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,166 34
- SA302's anyone?? 86 4
- do i pay vat when buying a business 333 21
- VAT errors 95 3
- Professional Clearance 354 12
- Introduction of Goodwill 719 15
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 140 5
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 996 12
- VAT & Landlords 253 7
- are receipts needed? 412 13
- Capital reduction 194 1
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 299 1
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 144 4
- CIC accounts submission 174 4
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 132 5
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 634 21
- New accountant 592 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 249 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,109 67
- Skandia using wrong address 1,594
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 352
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 258
- Management expenses for investment company 246
- Bonus Bonds 243
- Help with tax codes on Sage 188
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 152
- Clogged Losses 152