Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,461 5
- How much does the company pay 65 2
- Help with CGT please 81 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 110 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 293 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 320 17
- Will I need to resign? 935 11
- Cocaine anyone? 668 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 255 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 154 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 197 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 846 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 548 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 719 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 186 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 112 2
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 245
- WWOOFers 241
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 184
- UK State pension paid in NZ 168