Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Opening a Quick books file 155 2
- What are my legal responsibilities 373 15
- P11D Benefits - Accountancy fee for Directors personal tax 222 2
- cash the returned VAT cheque 207 1
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 222 1
- Remote subcontractors - due diligence 230 1
- Confict of Interest 326 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 243 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 102 3
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 342 5
- P11d query 274 5
- Rental expenses 71 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 148 5
- No more tax returns... 1,545 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 424 6
- Signed accounts for bank 309 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 482 10
- Landing clients 436 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,161 22
- Termination Payment 229 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 989
- Calling franchise accountants 841
- Avanti Accounts 807
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 571
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 485
- Scammers 474
- MERGER ACCA MEMBER WITH ICAEW FIRM 426
- Potential new client 406
- HMRC online filing 367
- Anyone offering Probate Services yet? 198