Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 48 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 396 15
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 843 28
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,059 29
- directors loan 272 8
- Director registration for SA question 280 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 231 3
- New Company reviews please 470 12
- Business only use of company car 609 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 346 4
- CIS not deducted 317 5
- Car Capital Contribution 184 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 213 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 103 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 266 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 360 8
- VAT with Russia 144 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 221 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,168 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 285
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 211
- Any thoughts on Capium? 204
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 147
- How to account for investment in JV? 147