Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Company Secretarial Software 1,341 29
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 21 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 104 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 242 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,549 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,899 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,897 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 53 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 110 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 156 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 448 22
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 80 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 79 1
- Tax position re this lease? 148 2
- VAT on Training Courses 135 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 134 2
- Self employed travel expenses 158 3
- which software 383 4
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 77 1
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 404 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 577
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 271
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 265
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 197
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 165