Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Spousal transfer and PPR 626 25
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 529 16
- recompense capital input 124 5
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 73 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 719 19
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 88 1
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 409 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,213 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 112 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 180 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 208 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 218 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 977 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 185 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 244 5
- Merging my businesses 223 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 483 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 374 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 334 1
- Holiday entitlement 592 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 796
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 325
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183