Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 122 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 108 2
- VT accounts licence key 78 3
- Other forums 134 2
- Underpaid National Insurance 110 2
- Career Advice 144 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 97 2
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,902 29
- Would this save hours of your time? 233 5
- Payroo Employer allowance query 81 1
- non resident receiving UK dividends 170 2
- Wrong career 215 8
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 214 6
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 103 3
- Agent with HMRC 280 11
- Quarterly PAYE 279 8
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 187 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 573 4
- Newsletter 248 5
- RTI Filing 1,770 22
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 775
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 529
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 395
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 281
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 224
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 219
- Director Loan account operation 216
- Free Tax Legislation? 210
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 209
- vat return 180