Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 446 13
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 14 1
- CGT history of shares 180 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 145 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 184 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 336 6
- CGT on sale of let property 123 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 185 2
- how do i get UTR 147 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 92 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 239 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 139 1
- Your comments please 317 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 195 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 133 2
- EIS 199 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 135 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 118 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 131 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 731 14
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 384
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 284
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 225
- Out of time or not? 211