Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 511 13
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 856 23
- Classic cars investment 351 10
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,010 25
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 178 3
- break even point 679 20
- Asset holding company 269 6
- How much to charge? 457 7
- National Insurance Contributions 119 1
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 317 6
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 243 3
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 281 1
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 3,020 36
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 788 8
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 235 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 450 13
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 665 9
- HMRC - Sage Backup 262 5
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,188 29
- BrightPay 752 23
- Possible Partnership? 480
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 452
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 447
- New Fangled Penalties 259
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 245
- Clubs and Taxable Income 234
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 231
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 220
- Loans to other companies 179
- Tasbook email configuration 167