Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- 40% rule for travel expenses 282 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,207 62
- capital gains on PPR 75 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,578 430
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 303 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 207 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 255 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 402 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,380 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 336 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 280 8
- PRR 316 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 209 3
- corp tax software 375 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 454 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 481 7
- Which tax box 203 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 169 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 286 3
- References for clients 250 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 153
- CIS paid under reg 9 145