Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 45 1
- cancellation of Engagement 434 12
- Profit or Capital Gain 67 3
- How to complain about HMRC 318 11
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 93 4
- Company Name - Number of Characters 83 1
- Car leased by Co, cost made good in full. Am I missing a trick? 148 7
- Bulk Invoicing 41 1
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 661 21
- FRS percentage 211 5
- Adding Tables to Wizard 36 1
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 451 5
- Companies House 852 7
- Accountancy work for Farmers 297 12
- PAYE for a babysitter? 351 17
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 169 2
- Is a dormant CT600 needed? 68 1
- Preparing CIC accounts 84 1
- Feuding directors 549 18
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 313 2
- CTA study material 666
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 403
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 227
- AIM Stocks and IHT 205
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 181
- Trust for Employee 165
- Expat pension contributions? 159
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 120
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 111