Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 152 4
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 159 2
- Next Move 697 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 142 2
- Self-assessment statistics 2,451 58
- Not renewing AAT 664 9
- CGT of shares gifted 374 6
- New dividend taxation 461 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,783 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 141 1
- Company car v company allowance 263 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 436 9
- Company formation and bank account 416 9
- Owning overseas property 327 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 289 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 263 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 706 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 704 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 264 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 433 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- 2015 tax year end 394
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 393
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 318
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 239
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204