Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- What sectors to target? 594 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 244 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 170 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,920 41
- Self assesment online 975 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 253 21
- Why do I do this every year 382 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 294 5
- closing limited company 159 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 77 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 504 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 245 9
- IHT and US resident 56 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 134 1
- Practice management 378 7
- IHT and cash gifts 244 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 529 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,598 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 254 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 594
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 411
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 310
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 171