Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 711 21
- PITA ex-client 165 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 230 6
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 148 1
- Tax on free shares 47 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 337 9
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 112 6
- Buying a horse?? 351 11
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 312 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,652 19
- New supplier 119 3
- Audit 416 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 821 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 84 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 240 13
- Scottish Independance 876 24
- Funding Circle experience 70 1
- Awkward IP 1,503 16
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 62 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,164 12
- CTA study material 797
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 446
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 302
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 216
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155