Capital Gains Tax on shares abroad
I live in the UK at the moment and I am UK citizen. However, I will be moving to Germany fairly soon to live and work there for several years.
I have some shares in the UK that I might decide to sell.
I would like to understand what would be the consequence if I decide to sell my shares before or after my relocation.
If I sell them before, whom do I need to pay CGT - to the UK's HMRC office (by Jan 2014 - although I will be living outside of the UK for more than a year at that point), or to Germany's tax office since I will be living there at that point? Will I have a choice about this?
What happens if I sell them after I move?
I know that taxation law for CGT has changed in Germany in 2009 but there is a clause that says that the shares bought before 31 Dec 2008 will not generate any CGT. In my case, more than 90% of shares were bought before this date.
I would appreciate any advice or further information on this.
Thanks in advance.
- State pension 240 2
- Accountancy Career 36 1
- CIC Company 644 13
- pension paid by company? 30 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,798 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,234 66
- 27,000 Really? 939 27
- Deduction from Salary 624 15
- inheritance tax 355 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 414 5
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 257 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 347 10
- One off meeting new client 1,673 16
- Legal title not in the company name 751 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 276 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 530 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 189 3
- NALS Accountants Report 347 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,235 44
- Farm barn lettings 230 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 299
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- How not to compose an email 214