Car fraud...tax implications
A client purchased a car from a seemingly reputable company via a bank transfer for £9,000. It seems she has been the victim of a scam , although she received an invoice the car and money seems to have disappeared.
She intended to use the car for business (with say 15% private use deduction).
If she never sees her money or car again how if at all should she treat the loss for tax purposes.
1. If we establish the car did exist could we claim £9,000 addition less disposal £0 = £9,000 balancing allowance then deduct private proportion.
2. If the car didn't exist , could we still claim the above treatment given the fact she had an invoice and purchased the "car" in good faith?
3. If not is their a specific deduction for fraud or any other way to get relief.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 249 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 762 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,563 42
- CIC Company 390 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,656 57
- Is this a scam? 762 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 124 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 335 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 242 5
- New company - form a group? 162 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 182 4
- PITA client 229 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 372 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,318 33
- Dividend dates 491 8
- R&D tax credit claim 223 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 120 1
- is this fraud? 792 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 498 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 189
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 157