Car fraud...tax implications
A client purchased a car from a seemingly reputable company via a bank transfer for £9,000. It seems she has been the victim of a scam , although she received an invoice the car and money seems to have disappeared.
She intended to use the car for business (with say 15% private use deduction).
If she never sees her money or car again how if at all should she treat the loss for tax purposes.
1. If we establish the car did exist could we claim £9,000 addition less disposal £0 = £9,000 balancing allowance then deduct private proportion.
2. If the car didn't exist , could we still claim the above treatment given the fact she had an invoice and purchased the "car" in good faith?
3. If not is their a specific deduction for fraud or any other way to get relief.
- What would you do in this situation? 55 3
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 113 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 592 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 613 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 69 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 336 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 237 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 215 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 93 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 369 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,382 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 284 5
- NOVA 547 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 262 10
- Regional Development Grant 114 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,375 21
- Company car without a salary 221 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 386 10
- Charity donations 1,068 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 144 2
- Bonus Bonds 389
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 376
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 287
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 184
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 169
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129