Car fraud...tax implications
A client purchased a car from a seemingly reputable company via a bank transfer for £9,000. It seems she has been the victim of a scam , although she received an invoice the car and money seems to have disappeared.
She intended to use the car for business (with say 15% private use deduction).
If she never sees her money or car again how if at all should she treat the loss for tax purposes.
1. If we establish the car did exist could we claim £9,000 addition less disposal £0 = £9,000 balancing allowance then deduct private proportion.
2. If the car didn't exist , could we still claim the above treatment given the fact she had an invoice and purchased the "car" in good faith?
3. If not is their a specific deduction for fraud or any other way to get relief.
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 39 1
- Giving a seminar 488 28
- Joint Filing Help 71 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 149 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 94 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 623 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 232 13
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 180 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 399 17
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,127 32
- deleting customers on Sage 50 97 4
- Interest on Loan to a Company 241 2
- Writing off bad debts 155 4
- Added years superannuation 29 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 95 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 336 7
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 50 1
- Care to help a student out? 263 9
- Residency 91 day rule 186 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 849 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,194
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 403
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 186
- Agent fees to sell business 185
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 175
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 151
- EBT 150