Career change to Accountancy - advice pls?!
I am seriously considering a career to Accountancy and I would very much appreciate any advice/experiences you guys can share with me.
I am in my early 30's and currently work as a Web Developer with a lot of database work. My career history to date has been in I.T. and I DO NOT have a degree. I have thought this decision through and my reasons for wanting a change are very good so I am comfortable in making the change.
I am still reading up on the different areas of the industry and where each path could lead me, but at the same time as doing this I would very like your specific answers too. Okay, so I've listed some questions/areas that I would like advice on:
1) What qualification should I take (AAT, ACCA, CIMA, ACA)?
a) the specific career path each will lead me to?
b) the qualification that is most demanded currently?
c) is the industry leaning towards a particular qualification for the future?
d) will not having a degree dictate/limit which qualification I go for?
2) What is the best way to enter the industry?
a) look for a junior position with study support straight off?
b) look for a junior that doesn't have study support but then with 1 years experience look for a position that does provide study support?
c) study the foundation level exams through my own cost but, hopefully, get study support for the intermediate and advanced level exams?
d) is there a particular company I should look to start off with?
e) a good method of home study (CBTs, books)?
As you can see I have listed a number of questions here and I am still reading into the subject, but it will be a lot quicker if I just ask the questions.
Not having a degree is penalising me in the employment world but having a recognised Accountancy qualification will hopefully put that restriction behind me (i.e. if you study a Accountancy degree you still don't end up an Accountant).
Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
- Year end 87 1
- How would you account for warranty? 120 4
- LLP - Member leaving 95 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 386 22
- Sweet Tooth 144 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,022 13
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 198 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 160 2
- trading or dormant 97 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 92 1
- tax credits 121 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 525 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 186 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 561 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 261 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 109 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 193 3
- Foreign income for self employed 125 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 640 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 87 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 863
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 514
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 325
- How to format a stock book 304
- Tax efficient holding company structure 241
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 235
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 188
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 159