Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Do I need a smartphone? 260 9
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 496 10
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 30 1
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 232 3
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 450 6
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 51 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 155 3
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,780 13
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 40 2
- Deduction from Salary 753 21
- Company struck off 215 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,406 53
- Opening Balances 279 6
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 279 6
- Employment Allowance 402 7
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 361 12
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 372 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 284 1
- West Bromich Albion 367 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,920 61
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 648
- Cancelled 403
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 347
- How not to compose an email 330
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 326
- Probiz 313
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 292
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 226
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 203