Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 171 3
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 76 3
- Comments on this scenario 32 1
- Related Parties Note 401 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 44 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 111 4
- Have i messed up? 573 9
- loss on carbon credits 90 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 539 9
- SAGE con 169 3
- Dazed & confused 136 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 228 2
- Overpayment relief claim 115 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 222 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,529 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 508 28
- Charity reserves 112 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,502 16
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,253 19
- do I have to pay NI? 272 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,001
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 541
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 204
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 170