Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- P35 and Service Company questions 76 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 173 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 73 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 361 14
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 157 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 121 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 106 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,572 12
- Companies House incorporation service 277 11
- Share Capital 83 2
- Trading income or not? 146 1
- Charge HMRC 367 3
- FRS17 query 224 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,753 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,613 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 561 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 281 2
- How to opt out? 407 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 97 1
- utr 192 4
- Xtuple 542
- Qtac payroll for bureau 372
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 314
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 285
- CIS schemes 217
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 178
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176