Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- BrightPay 639 20
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 903 26
- Gift or Capital Gain? 341 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 273 4
- Abolish the penalty regime 94 3
- IHT Query 146 3
- Statutary sick pay 185 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 267 4
- Director Salary 357 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 332 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 299 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 190 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 307 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 335 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 383 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 285 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 295 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 166