Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 127 2
- SA302's anyone?? 263 10
- Tax status of prizes 38 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,345 38
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 289 6
- clg 81 2
- VAT errors 159 4
- Professional Clearance 455 15
- CIS Deductions 254 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,241 15
- Auto enrolment 1,323 14
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 99 2
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 217 6
- do i pay vat when buying a business 407 22
- Loss Relief 194 3
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 640 19
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 283 3
- Property Expenses - Allowable 309 4
- Introduction of Goodwill 889 15
- VAT & Landlords 272 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,600
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 496
- NOVA 359
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 265
- Bonus Bonds 250
- Management expenses for investment company 250
- Help with tax codes on Sage 194
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 161
- Clogged Losses 154