Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 593 18
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 508 20
- Tax relief on accommodation costs 25 1
- Director or self-employed 278 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,366 25
- Anybody still doing returns? 1,007 37
- BVI registered 190 4
- Closing a limited company 393 6
- Self assessment for directors 187 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 279 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,619 17
- A little knowledge 423 6
- Digita in the cloud 181 2
- Tax relief when working away 96 1
- Tax relief when working away 212 3
- Designated sole Residence 260 5
- Scratch Head 361 1
- Year end 278 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 335 13
- Clothing 650 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 970
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 691
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 634
- Latest phishing scam 616
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 459
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 338
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 270
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 240
- Sabbatical payments 232
- Negligible Value Claim 215