Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- VAT Registration 110 8
- Tax Credit Overpayment 106 6
- Easy way to not pay tax 377 13
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 145 3
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 103 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 399 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 211 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 224 4
- Builder using cash labour 198 2
- Threshold for RTI submission 176 3
- FATCA registration as an Agent 52 1
- IRIS Practice Management 201 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 172 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 391 16
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 190 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 342 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 452 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 169 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 242 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 478 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,493
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 830
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 424
- Sale of business 399
- NOVA 306
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 218
- Bonus Bonds 183
- Management expenses for investment company 180
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 175