Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- More HMRC on gov.uk 152 4
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 139 3
- Employed clients and expenses 814 15
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 591 21
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 261 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 373 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 530 18
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 424 9
- Interflora florist 80 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 289 6
- Directors loan accounts 422 10
- Income Self employed 547 8
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,202 22
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 256 7
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 352 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 258 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 122 2
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,038 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 702 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 920 34
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 542
- NOVA 490
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 354
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 275
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 240
- Friendly Pensions 172
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 157
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 145
- Finance Lease 141