Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 143 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 163 2
- "Audit Report" 60 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 466 13
- Coding Notice 225 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 239 6
- New business - journal entries 407 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 221 3
- Payroll software 644 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 264 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 396 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 731 18
- B2B vat in the EU 186 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 197 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 226 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 192 4
- LLP as member of LLP 135 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,834 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 511 7
- Vat 305 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 864
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 721
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 409
- Social investment tax relief 219
- Digita Hosted Software 213
- Call Centre Data Costs 200
- accounting for this transaction 190
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 171
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 168
- Travel costs and contractors 167