Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,169 132
- How do I account for trees?! 67 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 473 17
- P11d Van - no private use 363 11
- Expanding To UK From USA 70 1
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 220 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 147 1
- Abbreviated Accounts 301 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 487 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 270 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 248 5
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 360 2
- Computerised Accountancy Software 253 1
- Standard 'email' template system 296 5
- HMRC Enquiry re interest paid 412 7
- Being Tax relevant 206 2
- Help with Mortgage Application? 361 5
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 467 12
- 10% Wear & Tear Allowance - Limited Company 284 3
- Can an EU biz register an LLC in UK, but operate from the local country? 182 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 980
- Employment related securities question 501
- Looking for a qualified accountant 311
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 301
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 274
- National Insurance 211
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 200
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 193
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 185
- Payments on account coded out?? 143