Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Can an owner hold company money 302 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 293 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 212 6
- Class 2 NIC 263 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 382 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,704 37
- Vat payable on van 146 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 242 7
- Community Faux Pas 931 26
- Cash gift from India 138 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,310 40
- Windows10 190 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 624 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 474 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 238 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 392 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 797 14
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 218
- Is the APN valid 196