Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,145 34
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 132 2
- Dress code 594 15
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 370 3
- What would you do in this situation? 739 15
- Dividend 104 2
- ACCA practice certificates 126 2
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 239 5
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 199 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 542 16
- Project being run jointly 240 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 337 4
- Companies House 632 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 414 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 751 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,477 25
- Help Required 452 10
- directors control and tax problems 362 5
- Fastest Software 819 13
- What's in a name ? 441 5
- CTA study material 721
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 281
- AIM Stocks and IHT 258
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 224
- Expat pension contributions? 211
- Trust for Employee 208
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 193
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 126