Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- BTC is slow 250 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 178 2
- Director registration for SA question 444 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 172 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 318 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 494 22
- valuation of vehicles 400 16
- Business only use of company car 688 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 507 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 316 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 949 29
- New Company reviews please 542 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 308 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 254 2
- VAT with Russia 223 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 249 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,121 29
- directors loan 360 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 297
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 238
- Any thoughts on Capium? 228
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 217
- auto enrolment 187
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 157
- How to account for investment in JV? 150
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148