Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 416 14
- signature required 71 3
- Dispensation 88 2
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 71 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 265 3
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 189 3
- Capitalising purchased software 91 2
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 247 2
- Web sites 104 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 552 17
- how to object to registered company name... 319 2
- Property income in different capacities 248 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 523 12
- CGT 467 19
- CGT 284 5
- Vat registration exception 138 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 477 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 135 1
- Charity Grant accounting 109 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 856 46
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,210
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 503
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 298
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 176
- TheTax Donut 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 150
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 145