Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Sage opening balance / retained profit nightmare! 67 1
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 29 2
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 299 6
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 41 1
- Benefit in kind but no salary 306 6
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 222 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 228 3
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 76 3
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 131 2
- CGT on transfer of property 368 20
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,221 23
- Advisory Fuel Rates 117 5
- The stupidity continues 2,558 102
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,536 28
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 78 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 158 1
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 214 8
- Excel file Corrupted 190 3
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 124 1
- Marketing and email surprises 535 10
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 466
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 456
- WIP Software 323
- No payroll scheme in place 268
- Is there anything wrong with this? 240
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 239
- Small Part Disposal of Property 212
- Uncommercial property business 210
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 179
- SA Penalty 173