Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Do accountants work at home? 361 8
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 395 8
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 840 15
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 85 1
- Rogue Accountant 3,834 58
- Where has Portia gone? 5,943 120
- How to introduce funds in to a Limited by guarantee company 42 1
- ER Relief 88 2
- 'Workers' for AE purposes 92 1
- Payroll question 242 3
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 267 5
- Where did you buy your Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500? 92 3
- Can a trust benefit from PPR 710 6
- VAT Registration 214 1
- How do you do it 427 1
- Help 505 14
- Payments on account 333 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 794 21
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 125 1
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 323 1