Carry back of trading loss to prior period - how to claim
I am completing a CT600 using HMRC's software for my client, a small property management company.
In most of the preceding years, the company has been treated as "dormant" for corporation tax purposes as it was either loss-making or had a corporation tax liability of under £100 in each year. Last year, the company had fewer expenses than normal so made enough profit that corporation tax was payable, and a return was duly completed and the tax paid.
This year, the company is again loss making. Although it would fulfil the conditions for dormancy, I would like to use the trading loss to carry back to the previous period to offset some of the profit last year, and obtain a rebate of some of the corporation tax paid, so I do not intend to apply for dormancy this year but will compete a tax return.
On the online CT600 Computations service, I have stated how much of the loss I would like to carry back to the previous period. However, there is nowhere on the form to indicate which year the claim will be applied to.
On the CT600 itself, it does not make any mention of the claim for carry-back loss relief to the prior year.
I have telephoned the corporation tax office for my client, but they do not know the answer (i.e. they are unable to tell me how to make a claim for carry-back loss relief!) and have referred me to their technical department for a call back within 2 days... I'd quite like to get this one finished today (I only work one day a week and this is it!) so I wondered if anyone knew the answer.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,960 45
- Love is in the air 165 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,644 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 237 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 332 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 376 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 487 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 123 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 515 1
- Paying Son 625 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 336 7
- HMRC accounting 250 3
- Employers NI allowance 442 6
- Dividend taxation 256 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 161 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 150 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 437 4
- iris update 11.9.2 446 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 273 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 270
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 256
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 229
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186