CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- transactions after account have been closed 155 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 151 5
- The stupidity continues 591 22
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 523 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 207 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 115 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,339 25
- New Employers Helpline 204 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 215 3
- Software recommendations 273 1
- Share transfer question 376 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 322 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 179 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,453 19
- Overlap relief 758 19
- What is IRIS World like? 364 8
- Pension contributions 381 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 510 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 202 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 280 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 438
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 434
- WIP Software 299
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 290
- No payroll scheme in place 234
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 206
- Is there anything wrong with this? 201
- Small Part Disposal of Property 188
- Uncommercial property business 180