CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Microsoft One Drive 185 5
- Accounts Package 188 7
- Question about VAT Group Registration 93 1
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 636 18
- Not a question but made my day 539 13
- Does reputation of a tax agent affect likelihood of a HMRC audit 195 3
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 261 3
- Travel expenses for director - flight 360 3
- Repayment of Share Capital 389 8
- VAT on property 105 1
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 248 4
- PPR ELECTION 306 9
- Late night meals self employed 352 2
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 415 9
- EBT Self Assessment Return 268 1
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,833 18
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 123 1
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,876 25
- Audacity 1,222 21
- 2014/15 Forms P11D and P11D(b) 262 1
- NHS finance professionals 572
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 376
- Foreign Pension Contribution 346
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 329
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 310
- vat gross profit percentage margins 307
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 283
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 251
- Thinning income 229
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 203