CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 485 15
- Do I need to pay my accountant 842 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,092 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 100 1
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 655 20
- Audit 97 1
- carry back of gift aid 169 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 292 8
- Awkward IP 1,167 12
- What's in a name ? 952 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 847 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 184 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 554 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 232 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 381 6
- Potentially dodgy client 406 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 560 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 457 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 400 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 546 23
- CTA study material 785
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 425
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 268
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 200
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 153