CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 52 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 385 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,762 71
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 159 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 666 11
- Which software for practice books? 530 20
- Related Parties Note 635 10
- Dazed & confused 352 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 110 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 139 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 310 7
- trading or dormant 241 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 187 6
- Payroll Liabilities 103 2
- SAGE con 300 6
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 136 4
- Charity reserves 249 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 143 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,676 18
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 333 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,047
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 564
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 371
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 280
- Charge out rates in London? 222
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 217
- Personal consumption by landlord 191
- Interest on Loan to a Company 178
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 155
- Agent fees to sell business 149