CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 283 9
- Merging my businesses 64 2
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 303 7
- Where has Portia gone? 1,463 61
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 72 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,662 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 509 16
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 103 4
- VAT on commercial property 105 3
- Rogue Accountant 2,994 49
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 226 4
- deceased creditor 162 5
- Corporate member of LLP 269 1
- Investment company 264 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 329 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 210 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 364 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 96 1
- Transfer of stock 361 12
- Holiday entitlement 546 10
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 779
- RTI - duplicate employee record 528
- Pensions Regulator 443
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 401
- Sage Vat return box 2 305
- Sanzar 301
- Digital marketing focus group 282
- How do you do it 270
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 238
- Report old income 237