CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Why should I retain membership? 2,663 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 165 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 323 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 127 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,252 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 387 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,461 18
- Vat 244 4
- CT/CIS offset 118 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 170 4
- Trade name 172 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 129 1
- New business - journal entries 310 20
- B2B vat in the EU 110 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 311 18
- VAT on deposits 204 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 128 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 409 12
- option to tax 204 1
- Share of profits from building society 105 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 783
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 707
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 388
- Social investment tax relief 206
- Digita Hosted Software 199
- Call Centre Data Costs 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 159
- Travel costs and contractors 151
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 145
- Certificates of tax deposit 138