CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- practice planning 27 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,084 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 162 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 148 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,632 10
- Which address 1,056 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 583 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 97 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,496 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,212 44
- R&D tax claim 255 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 534 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 195 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 140 2
- Gift to employee 380 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 179 1
- Transfer of a business 129 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,152 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 420 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 484
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 319
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 260
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 164
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 138
- Employment related securities question 126