CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 210 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 380 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 69 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 43 1
- Relevance of UK Residency 39 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief 645 30
- Should I move back home away from my office? 117 2
- More AE! 568 12
- IHT dilemma 1,303 20
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 73 2
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 407 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,943 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 199 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 139 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 199 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 310 3
- Aweb tracking ... 261 3
- PAYE 1,409 16
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 138 1
- Gifts from limited companies 188 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,131
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 473
- Digita Hosted Software 310
- Credit where credit's due....... 251
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 204
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 177
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 152
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 141