CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 85 6
- childcare 22 2
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,057 45
- Childcare voucher schemes 208 8
- What sectors to target? 506 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 88 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 381 12
- PAYE Control Visit 124 2
- Practice management 319 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 185 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 228 8
- eBay trading 164 3
- Capital allowances on Software 82 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 207 10
- Pension contribution 129 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 217 3
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 282 12
- duplicate 194 1
- Self assesment online 791 8
- Refusing to complete a tax return 716 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 918
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 636
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 565
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 395
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 297
- Scratch Head 220
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 204
- Sabbatical payments 188