CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- 40% rule for travel expenses 277 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,204 62
- capital gains on PPR 70 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,576 430
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 301 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 205 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 253 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 400 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,378 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 335 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 279 8
- PRR 314 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 207 3
- corp tax software 373 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 453 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 481 7
- Which tax box 203 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 169 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 286 3
- References for clients 249 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 153
- CIS paid under reg 9 145