CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 141 4
- Accountants' Error 694 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 145 3
- Scoot 183 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 152 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 202 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 661 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,453 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 109 1
- Regaining my qualification 200 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 235 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 232 2
- Auto enrolment 193 3
- Shareholder agreement 173 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 196 3
- Company Reorganisation 165 3
- Employee Loan 207 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 465 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 596 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 150 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,452
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 765
- Any views 698
- HMRC Employers Diary 523
- International interest certificate 425
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 389
- Sale of business 355
- NOVA 260
- Advertising services? 255
- IRIS Open Books problem 249