CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 214 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 278 11
- Tax return software for remote working 425 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 431 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 763 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 383 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 427 9
- How to purchase business premises? 106 2
- Will I need to resign? 771 10
- Childcare vouchers 114 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 260 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 285 6
- VAT avoidance? 195 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 168 3
- PAYE coding out 155 3
- Follower cases 567 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 447 2
- Late Registration for VAT 444 12
- TheTax Donut 1,138 1
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 707 10
- Hive up 464
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 430
- corporate hierarchy 412
- Advice - 239
- Amortisation of Goodwill 209
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 195
- WWOOFers 189
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 170
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 170
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 166