CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 100 5
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 76 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,564 12
- Companies House incorporation service 257 11
- Share Capital 49 2
- Trading income or not? 116 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 248 5
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 155 4
- Charge HMRC 343 3
- FRS17 query 222 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,733 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,542 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 551 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 270 2
- How to opt out? 401 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 90 1
- utr 170 4
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 315 7
- P9D or P11D 742 7
- CT return error message 392 10
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 281
- CIS schemes 214
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 174