CAs on partnership cessation due to death
Husband and wife partnership. Substantial expenses incurred on equipment and also integral F&F in an extension to business premises. Wife dies half way through year.
I've done a single set of accounts for full year, which I've then apportioned between the periods - first half goes on partnership tax return and last half goes on personal tax return of husband on self employed pages. Fair enough so far.
But what about capital allowances? Presumably I can't claim anything for the first half year seeing it is a cessation of the partnership. Then I claim CAs in second half for sole trader having brought in WDV of asset pools. But for the second half, as it's a six month period, the rates/allowances are pro-rata'd so I can't claim full allowances. Is this right?
Also, what about AIA on assets bought in first half? I was hoping to bring in the purchases on day 1 of the new sole trader business and claim full AIA, effectively as pre-trading expenditure, but is that acceptable?
The way I see things, is that the client is going to be disadvantaged further in terms of tax because of the death of his wife due to losing some capital allowance claims? Surely this can't be right?
- Redundancy pay for directors? 449 13
- VAT - Recharge 68 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 341 4
- transitioning payroll 156 4
- Legal title not in the company name 173 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,558 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 152 3
- Deduction from Salary 198 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,744 30
- Car financed by employee 189 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 126 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 623 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 158 3
- Dividend payment date 2,194 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 170 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 182 2
- One off meeting new client 1,435 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 308 6
- Child tax credits 235 4
- Car leasing scheme 227 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 305
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 223
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 199
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169