Cash basis return for bad debts
I may have a new accounting client who has not done her 2010/2011, or 2011/2012 tax return. Tut tut.
In 2010/2011, they invoiced their client (april to dec) a total of £50K. During the year they only received £20K of it. No payments received against this debt in 2011/2012 and in 2012/2013 the company is potentially putting this debt into a CVA.
Now - we need to play catch up with the 2010/2011 tax return which will show income of £50K and potentially the 2011/2012 will show a bad debt cost of £30K. It seems unfair to have to pay tax on money never received.
So my question then is, could my client do the 2010/2011 tax return on a cash received basis, and if she ever receives any payment on the rest of the income, declare that in the tax year of receipt?
Thank in advance.
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 468 15
- Carrying forward self employment losses 130 6
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 127 6
- client can't/won't pay 1,746 33
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 67 2
- how much to charge 224 6
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 341 16
- Charities and VAT 129 11
- Rental losses 81 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 190 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 159 3
- HMRC SA system 91 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,497 53
- Company dividends 862 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 174 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 82 2
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 90 2
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 845 23
- White van man 998 30
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,391 16
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 897
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 594
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 564
- Latest phishing scam 519
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 368
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 336
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 274
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167