Cash basis return for bad debts
I may have a new accounting client who has not done her 2010/2011, or 2011/2012 tax return. Tut tut.
In 2010/2011, they invoiced their client (april to dec) a total of £50K. During the year they only received £20K of it. No payments received against this debt in 2011/2012 and in 2012/2013 the company is potentially putting this debt into a CVA.
Now - we need to play catch up with the 2010/2011 tax return which will show income of £50K and potentially the 2011/2012 will show a bad debt cost of £30K. It seems unfair to have to pay tax on money never received.
So my question then is, could my client do the 2010/2011 tax return on a cash received basis, and if she ever receives any payment on the rest of the income, declare that in the tax year of receipt?
Thank in advance.
- What can my client claim r & d on? 320 6
- R&D tax claim 103 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 582 13
- Vat threshold issues 121 2
- Growing pains 361 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 237 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 78 1
- Consequential loss claim 121 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 190 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 120 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 107 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 341 5
- private to company car? 204 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 957 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 588 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 154 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 240 1
- Partner with an IVA 175 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 602 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 426 11
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 418
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 287
- Pre incorp expenses 279
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 246
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 210
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 178