Cash basis return for bad debts
I may have a new accounting client who has not done her 2010/2011, or 2011/2012 tax return. Tut tut.
In 2010/2011, they invoiced their client (april to dec) a total of £50K. During the year they only received £20K of it. No payments received against this debt in 2011/2012 and in 2012/2013 the company is potentially putting this debt into a CVA.
Now - we need to play catch up with the 2010/2011 tax return which will show income of £50K and potentially the 2011/2012 will show a bad debt cost of £30K. It seems unfair to have to pay tax on money never received.
So my question then is, could my client do the 2010/2011 tax return on a cash received basis, and if she ever receives any payment on the rest of the income, declare that in the tax year of receipt?
Thank in advance.
- Limited company buying a car 144 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 263 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 458 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 553 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 173 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 108 2
- ACCA practice certificates 495 5
- Limited company buying director's car 290 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 77 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 98 1
- WC's and capital allowances 173 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 306 13
- Dress code 1,546 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 479 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 258 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 379 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 473 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 186 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 106 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 480
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 256
- Trust for Employee 237
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 178
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147