Cash basis return for bad debts
I may have a new accounting client who has not done her 2010/2011, or 2011/2012 tax return. Tut tut.
In 2010/2011, they invoiced their client (april to dec) a total of £50K. During the year they only received £20K of it. No payments received against this debt in 2011/2012 and in 2012/2013 the company is potentially putting this debt into a CVA.
Now - we need to play catch up with the 2010/2011 tax return which will show income of £50K and potentially the 2011/2012 will show a bad debt cost of £30K. It seems unfair to have to pay tax on money never received.
So my question then is, could my client do the 2010/2011 tax return on a cash received basis, and if she ever receives any payment on the rest of the income, declare that in the tax year of receipt?
Thank in advance.
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 53 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 45 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,018 30
- This is getting boring 575 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 228 7
- pension paid by company? 76 3
- inheritance tax 395 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 313 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 212 4
- State pension 284 3
- Accountancy Career 99 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,811 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,271 66
- Deduction from Salary 638 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 426 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,684 16
- Legal title not in the company name 757 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 294 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 240
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221