Cash basis return for bad debts
I may have a new accounting client who has not done her 2010/2011, or 2011/2012 tax return. Tut tut.
In 2010/2011, they invoiced their client (april to dec) a total of £50K. During the year they only received £20K of it. No payments received against this debt in 2011/2012 and in 2012/2013 the company is potentially putting this debt into a CVA.
Now - we need to play catch up with the 2010/2011 tax return which will show income of £50K and potentially the 2011/2012 will show a bad debt cost of £30K. It seems unfair to have to pay tax on money never received.
So my question then is, could my client do the 2010/2011 tax return on a cash received basis, and if she ever receives any payment on the rest of the income, declare that in the tax year of receipt?
Thank in advance.
- Directors Share Purchase 181 3
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 511 9
- Incapable of reading 221 2
- Using VT Transactions + for first time .. struggling with flat rate VAT 190 3
- How much to charge 291 4
- How to pay national insurance 234 8
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 242 4
- Government Gateway 1,013 16
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,590 11
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 219 6
- Project Manager Consultant with Profit Share 115 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 129 2
- P11D Rejection 389 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 562 14
- Selling a practice 382 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,302 20
- Overlap relief 475 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 181 1
- Dormant payroll 855 9
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 207 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 448
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 351
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 344
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 315
- Perkbox 280
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 251
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 246
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 244
- Document Management Systems 220
- WIP Software 209