Just a quick question.
For small businesses, running as sole traders, is there any legal requirement to deposit all cash receipts into and make payments from business bank accounts?
I went to 2 high street banks today and got completely different answers. One said that it is illegal to not deposit cash into the bank account, but I have doubts, I suspect that they would want me to put the money in considering the amount of money they charge for 'looking' after my money. The other bank said that there is no such requirement.
I run a small business taking primary cash receipts and a few cheques every now and then. I pay for purchases by cash with a few expenses such as utility bills from the business account. I usually keep a steady float in my business bank account to cover these expenses, but I don't normally put all income into the bank. The remainder of my 'drawings' I either hold in cash, put into a personal account or spend it. All the money I have left over is mine, being a sole trader.
I don't think I will need to prepare detailed accounts, but I do have a qualified accountant to do my books for me. I do keep adequate records of all sales and purchases and I pay the right amounts of taxes on my business income. I have ran this system for a few years and the accountant did not even suggest that there is something wrong with this arrangement. I am just a bit confused with what the banks are telling me. It would be rather tedious if I am to deposit money into the account and make withdrawals for every small business transaction.
Want another opinion to see if I am missing something.
Thanks in advance.
- Pattern for CTA 250 5
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 143 3
- PAYE versus Dividends 165 3
- Employee or partner 33 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 190 5
- The Cotter Case 190 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 138 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 151 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 79 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 943 16
- Sole Trader business 156 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 154 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 687 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 309 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 226 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 242 4
- Sage Depreciation 88 1
- Non sequitur 258 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,309
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 644
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 335
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 265
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156