Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 971 29
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 51 1
- Project being run jointly 167 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 297 4
- Companies House 585 9
- Dress code 349 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 116 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 317 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 721 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,421 25
- What would you do in this situation? 599 13
- Help Required 382 10
- directors control and tax problems 242 5
- Fastest Software 795 13
- What's in a name ? 357 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 274 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 457 15
- Bulk Invoicing 186 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 169 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 255 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 433
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 207
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 200
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 197
- Expat pension contributions? 192
- Trust for Employee 192
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 164