Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 285 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 197 4
- State pension 271 3
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 213 6
- 27,000 Really? 966 28
- Accountancy Career 68 1
- CIC Company 648 13
- pension paid by company? 51 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,804 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,247 66
- Deduction from Salary 630 15
- inheritance tax 369 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 419 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 350 10
- One off meeting new client 1,678 16
- Legal title not in the company name 753 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 287 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 531 4
- NALS Accountants Report 350 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,236 44
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 300
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- How not to compose an email 227
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221