Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 952 29
- You know its over 337 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 488 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 173 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 161 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 250 3
- Cocaine anyone? 511 8
- Late Registration for VAT 489 13
- EIS/SEIS 144 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 418 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 424 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 719 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 555 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 591 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 175 3
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 439
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 201
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175