Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,176 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 34 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 425 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 118 3
- dividend 163 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 125 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 254 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 177 3
- Irish Taxation 143 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 314 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 515 6
- Drector renting room to company 96 1
- Off site storage 157 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 600 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 252 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 350 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 241 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 333 4
- Self assesment losses 324 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 176 3
- Xtuple 567
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 233
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 210
- Investment 206
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 182
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152