Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 279 10
- Sole trader hid directorships. 222 3
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,201 40
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 236 9
- Company car without a salary 68 1
- Charity donations 964 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 305 13
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 528 11
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,100 20
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 103 2
- VAT on finance leases 171 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 552 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 269 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 225 3
- Goods Purchased for Rental 688 34
- Professional Clearance 1,605 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 306 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 461 6
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 424 11
- Interflora florist 251 3
- NOVA 502
- Bonus Bonds 385
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 369
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 281
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 250
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 177
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 161
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 140