Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Clothing 569 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 279 12
- Digita in the cloud 20 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 208 7
- IHT and US resident 120 2
- Tax relief when working away 30 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 142 5
- Anybody still doing returns? 795 33
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 199 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,236 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- Designated sole Residence 166 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 740 15
- Anyone know what this is? 304 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 928 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 556 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 283 9
- no utr 313 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,145 49
- Director drawings 614 32
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 258
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199