Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Client right to working papers 1,638 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,385 7
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 87 3
- . 169 5
- wills 244 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 238 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 250 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,077 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 468 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 396 12
- 31st october deadline 163 4
- Self-employed 816 17
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 422 14
- Limited company taking a share in a new limited company 118 3
- Who owns the tax computations - client or accountant ? 662 17
- VAT registration and two trades 229 2
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 371 6
- VAT on residential properties 301 5
- Microsoft One Drive 824 30
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 551 8
- NHS finance professionals 678
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 415
- Foreign Pension Contribution 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- vat gross profit percentage margins 372
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 362
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 315
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 288
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 254
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215