Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Overseas bank interest 114 3
- Contractor accommodation expenses 107 1
- Undeclared rental income 1,904 20
- Kasperskey - home pc 305 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 159 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 269 4
- Cash basis 256 7
- Statutory sick pay 130 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,889 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,261 12
- Lorry Drivers 359 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 235 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,593 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 129 1
- PRR 584 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 218 2
- Partially exempt? 317 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 264 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 599 4
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 254 10
- Skandia using wrong address 530
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 291
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 286
- Employee rewards 278
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 250
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 243
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 231
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 139