Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- PAYE versus Dividends 148 2
- Employee or partner 13 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 180 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 111 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 135 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 57 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 144 1
- Giving a seminar 683 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 300 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 219 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 79 1
- Non sequitur 252 2
- Am i Liable? 881 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,297
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 424
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 213
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 150