Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 209 7
- Capital introduction 115 2
- Accountex flash mob 157 4
- Property sale split between years 215 8
- Group structure - transfer of shares 28 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,026 27
- Direct payment schene 77 3
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,145 37
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 121 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,195 35
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 266 8
- CIS Deductions 284 8
- sole trader to ltd company 166 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 329 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 277 7
- Dual taxation - usa 191 2
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 130 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 289 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 151 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 145 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 327
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 191