Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Would this save hours of your time? 349 7
- Laptop purchase 1,343 20
- PTP software disaster 212 2
- Wrong career 410 17
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 148 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 195 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 85 2
- Director's tax return 187 3
- Tricky VAT question 123 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 95 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 223 6
- VT accounts licence key 229 5
- Weely paid employees 208 2
- Splitting the tax year 75 1
- FPS Submission 128 2
- Value pricing 635 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 200 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 124 1
- vat return 216 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 172 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 787
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 542
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 408
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 289
- Free Tax Legislation? 248
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 232
- Director Loan account operation 230
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 223
- Paye procedures for CVA 157