Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,037 9
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 130 5
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 244 14
- Prior Year Adjustments 67 2
- Share Issue 202 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 138 11
- Client avoiding UK Tax. 740 23
- PAYE/NI due date? 134 2
- repairs and/or improvements 97 2
- To Do List 1,512 31
- Dormant company or not? 263 12
- Personal Allowance for non residents 323 8
- Farm Partnership 85 1
- Sum Product - Pulling my hair out! 358 12
- Leaving Flat Rate VAT scheme 442 9
- Entrepreneurs Relief 1,458 25
- Are language schools in France exempt from paying TVA? 132 5
- Problem ex client...again.. 3,711 27
- Time limit for making Self Assessment Tax Return 215 1
- Question for Dropbox users 395 13
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 654
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 515
- Auto enrolment excuses 451
- Removed post 368
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 343
- Social investment tax relief 159
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 152
- Call Centre Data Costs 152
- Digita Hosted Software 135
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 129