Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,204 10
- The importance of Grammar 1,289 38
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 105 3
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,345 37
- Profit split from an investment property 134 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 694 25
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 89 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 263 6
- tax saving on card points 228 6
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 909 14
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 249 9
- Scissors 861 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 433 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 444 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 233 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 116 2
- Xero Pain Points 496 17
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 338 8
- VAT and Groups 83 2
- Post Budget Disincorporations 1,954 13
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 370
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 306
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 294
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 217
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 200
- Company Structure 194
- VAT and customer entertaining 175