Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,399 26
- Entrepreneurs Relief 412 16
- Substantial shareholding exemption and foreign subsidiaries 18 1
- international employer please help!! 113 3
- Sage payroll alternatives 443 7
- CGT 184 3
- accounting for this transaction 356 3
- Gift Aid 208 5
- do i have to register new ltd practice as tax agent? 211 3
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 231 2
- Compliance check 578 16
- Capital gain? 194 4
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 126 3
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 376 5
- Tax Avoidance 229 1
- When to include value of import in Box 7 95 2
- sole trader accountant 892 15
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 466 10
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 188 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 356 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,096
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 784
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 470
- Digita Hosted Software 284
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 234
- Credit where credit's due....... 230
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 212
- Director phone costs 160
- RTI overpayments gap 156