Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 284 6
- Client Paperwork Retention? 469 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 98 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 512 1
- Paying Son 596 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 334 7
- HMRC accounting 204 3
- Employers NI allowance 431 6
- Dividend taxation 223 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 133 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 170 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 131 3
- Love is in the air 134 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 430 4
- iris update 11.9.2 444 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 263 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 673 8
- Which time limits apply? 399 4
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 227 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 334 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 270
- CGT for NOn UK residents 268
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 253
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 228
- Capital Gains personal representatives 211
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 206
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 185