Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,172 132
- How do I account for trees?! 74 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 476 17
- P11d Van - no private use 366 11
- Expanding To UK From USA 75 1
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 222 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 149 1
- Abbreviated Accounts 302 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 490 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 272 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 249 5
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 363 2
- Computerised Accountancy Software 254 1
- Standard 'email' template system 296 5
- HMRC Enquiry re interest paid 413 7
- Being Tax relevant 210 2
- Help with Mortgage Application? 362 5
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 468 12
- 10% Wear & Tear Allowance - Limited Company 286 3
- Can an EU biz register an LLC in UK, but operate from the local country? 183 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 981
- Employment related securities question 501
- Looking for a qualified accountant 312
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 301
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 274
- National Insurance 211
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 200
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 193
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 186
- Payments on account coded out?? 145