Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 63 1
- Goodie bag 1,487 52
- Husband Wife let property 334 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 486 12
- Output tax for retailer 299 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 251 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 108 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 101 1
- CT600 Advice 73 1
- Fair Value Accounting 61 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 104 4
- can I approach clients ? 350 8
- Companies House Penalties 83 2
- Apostille documents 94 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 527 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 68 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 327 14
- Classic cars investment 553 15
- Why .... 818 9
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 524 5
- Possible Partnership? 638
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 512
- New Fangled Penalties 442
- Fuming! 372
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 315
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 253
- Outsource Data Entry 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 232
- Moving away from CCH software 224
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 173