Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 96 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 159 1
- Shareholder agreement 188 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 90 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,476 21
- Accountants' Error 747 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 166 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 161 3
- Scoot 200 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 166 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 222 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 667 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 117 1
- Regaining my qualification 233 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 250 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 264 2
- Auto enrolment 207 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 201 3
- Company Reorganisation 172 3
- Employee Loan 223 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,460
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 776
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 262
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 253