Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Advice for new build property 31 3
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 224 8
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 448 20
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 261 5
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,273 17
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 198 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,034 25
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 271 8
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 205 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 110 1
- Sage Line 50 91 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,930 58
- mileage claim via self assessment - how far back? 144 2
- HMRC Post 352 5
- Freelance/Employee 578 14
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 538 11
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 336 8
- Employment Allowance 381 3
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,420 13
- Auto-enrolment staging dates, letters etc 217 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 400
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 370
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 345
- Electric Car 282
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 178
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 166
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 163
- AIA 153