Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,444 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 16 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 196 1
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 102 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 222 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,224 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 356 6
- Go Cardless 375 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 316 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 129 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 389 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 336 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 290 13
- Bringing money to Uk 289 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 255 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 185 1
- Hosted email exchange 189 5
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 209
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Domain name sale and limited company 180
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151