Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Should I move back home away from my office? 459 10
- Property income in different capacities 118 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 197 6
- Contract Hire of Vans for Limited Company 64 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 410 10
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 118 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,298 19
- Scanners 180 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 128 1
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 237 3
- Payment plans for clients 147 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 235 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 266 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 395 2
- P60 or payslips? 111 1
- IHT dilemma 1,389 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 196 1
- IT advisory questions? 188 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 800 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 165 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,166
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 799
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 494
- Digita Hosted Software 322
- Credit where credit's due....... 276
- Director phone costs 240
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 229
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 208
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 161
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 141