Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Declined for business bank account 230 5
- Help with Mortgage Application? 476 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 167 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,615 283
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 212 10
- Standard 'email' template system 875 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 459 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,027 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 215 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 91 1
- Circular shareholding 231 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 188 6
- business card address 300 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 213 2
- Loan to a related company 102 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 658 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 331 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 270 8
- property rental income split 128 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 137 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,112
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 366
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 228
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 221
- Non Resident 186
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 182
- Franchise income and costs 176