Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- cancellation of Engagement 247 5
- Feuding directors 313 9
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 248 7
- Foreign branch in SME 113 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,255 21
- Fastest Software 680 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 138 1
- Where did it go? 311 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 97 1
- VAT Registration for Building Company 121 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 516 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,915 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 615 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 257 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 123 1
- Benefit fraud 3,438 49
- SA Tax Returns 180 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 174 2
- Consolidated accounts 146 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,034 24
- CTA study material 653
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 396
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 223
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 174
- Trust for Employee 159
- Expat pension contributions? 152
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 136
- Capital allowances 128