Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 453 10
- More HMRC on gov.uk 265 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 689 24
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 29 1
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 305 4
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 248 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,273 23
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 555 1
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 330 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 205 2
- Transition to FRS102 - goodwill 509 14
- Employed clients and expenses 840 16
- Goods Purchased for Rental 620 31
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 147 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 389 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 537 18
- Interflora florist 119 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 309 6
- Directors loan accounts 440 10
- Income Self employed 559 8
- NOVA 492
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 358
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 276
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 241
- Friendly Pensions 177
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 160
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 148
- Finance Lease 141
- Company Car Lease 140