Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,688 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 71 1
- Accounts Software 134 5
- HMRC Agents Line 198 4
- calculation DTR restriction 81 1
- Company Director In Prison 451 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 69 1
- AWeb - download file 170 3
- Charity work 236 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 253 6
- Director Drawings 166 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 264 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 227 7
- Collection or business assets 108 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 272 8
- Tax position re this lease? 371 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 728 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 105 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,675 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 91 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 679
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 520
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 336
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 216
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203