Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 104 1
- How much does the company pay 766 33
- Proof of identification 43 1
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 63 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 71 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 286 5
- Using home as clients registered address 181 4
- Childcare vouchers 362 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 68 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 67 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 53 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 42 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 414 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 347 4
- Merry Christmas 122 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 83 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,094 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 245
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177