Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- wave software 98 1
- Freelance software consultant 314 5
- client can't/won't pay 253 11
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 66 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,124 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 84 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 205 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 128 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 203 6
- losses carried forward 361 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 463 22
- Auto enrolment 1,617 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 207 8
- VT 344 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 696 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 149 2
- Ongoing trade? 239 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 293 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 897 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 151 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 778
- Copy Wanted 490
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 452
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 450
- Latest phishing scam 279
- Entrepreneurs' relief 264
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 260
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 243
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 230
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 226