Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 64 2
- Moving to the cloud 533 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 144 2
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 61 1
- Companies house strike off 44 1
- How much to charge for payroll? 726 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 147 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 118 4
- BTC vs Digita 973 29
- Seeking a tax case 253 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 282 4
- See you all on the other side 233 5
- VATABLE Income 283 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 210 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 264 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 410 6
- P11D software 95 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 449 9
- VAT - business splitting 235 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 521
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 351
- IRIS and FRS 102 325
- USA help 283
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 245
- Capital gains on rental property 227
- Sage Coretime 215
- Capitalising Finance Lease 212
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 204