Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Easy way to not pay tax 364 13
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 144 3
- VAT Registration 100 7
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 100 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 394 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 209 8
- Tax Credit Overpayment 99 5
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 222 4
- Builder using cash labour 194 2
- Threshold for RTI submission 175 3
- FATCA registration as an Agent 49 1
- IRIS Practice Management 200 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 171 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 391 16
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 190 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 340 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 447 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 166 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 240 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 476 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,493
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 830
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 424
- Sale of business 399
- NOVA 306
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 218
- Bonus Bonds 183
- Management expenses for investment company 180
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 175