Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 332 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 801 17
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 41 1
- CIS Deductions 71 3
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 174 4
- Share swap 414 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 177 3
- Check my logic on this please? 237 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 77 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 222 6
- Late P45 206 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 566 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 432 13
- CIC accounts submission 96 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 604 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 449 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 268 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,518 44
- What does it mean?? 486 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,166 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 249
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 240
- Management expenses for investment company 224
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161