Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,920 98
- Anyone had this problem?? 85 1
- Error or mistake in CT return 60 1
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 186 4
- Statement of Accounts 98 5
- Closing my business down 454 21
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 103 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 255 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 156 2
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 134 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 205 7
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 210 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 180 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 346 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 165 1
- CGT history of shares 246 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 299 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 398 6
- CGT on sale of let property 180 2
- how do i get UTR 223 3
- Moving away from CCH software 982
- QROP pension input amounts 459
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 388
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 292
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 250
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 229
- Out of time or not? 217