Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 214 9
- VAT Invoice 167 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 368 6
- General tax book with planning 170 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,240 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 292 11
- Gift of property & improvements 125 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 811 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 134 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 231 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 161 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 466 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 385 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 264 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 196 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 260 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 170 4
- SA302's anyone?? 546 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,653 41
- Renting for military reasons 200 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 512
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 299
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 175
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- P11D benefit received by widow 153