Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 268 6
- flat rate scheme 2,442 51
- Importing transactions from VT Cashbook to VT Transaction+ 58 1
- Family Partnership 351 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,268 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 92 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 205 3
- Business lending another business money (UK) 332 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 117 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 349 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 228 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 209 6
- Business trips - director and family 441 3
- Signed accounts for bank 698 15
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 340 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 245 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 131 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 888 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 241 5
- VAT Query on new build 151 1
- Sainsbury's mangement 1,045
- Calling franchise accountants 894
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 590
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 515
- Scammers 509
- Potential new client 458
- MERGER ACCA MEMBER WITH ICAEW FIRM 458
- HMRC online filing 409
- fraud 279
- Anyone offering Probate Services yet? 201