Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- deleting customers on Sage 50 66 3
- Giving a seminar 445 25
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 48 2
- Flat Rate Scheme 210 12
- Interest on Loan to a Company 234 2
- Writing off bad debts 143 4
- Added years superannuation 13 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 93 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,062 31
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 323 7
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 45 1
- Care to help a student out? 240 9
- Residency 91 day rule 180 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 839 12
- Dazed & confused 1,302 9
- Altered PAYE cheque 113 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 141 1
- PAYE coding notices 97 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 672 17
- Is there a time limit on VAT claims on DIY barn conversions? 130 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,185
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 596
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 401
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 306
- Agent fees to sell business 185
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 184
- Alphabet shares 181
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 173
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 150
- EBT 148