Cessation of Engagement letter to client going to a new accountant - are these common?
A new client (non audit, personal and trust tax client) has received a Cessation of Terms of Engagement letter from their previous accountants, with the request that they sign the three page document indicating their agreement.
One of the paragraphs states ' you agree to hold harmless and indemnify us against and representation, whether intentional or unintentional, supplied by us orally or in writing in connection with this agreement. You have agreed that you will not bring any claim in connection with services provided to you by the firm against any of our employees on a personal basis.'
There are three other paragraphs in this general vein under the heading of Limitation of Liability.
Are these letters becoming common, or even recommended best practice by the professional bodies?
Presumably the advice to the new client should be to ignore it and don't send it back?! I've read it a few times and am still not very clear about what it's trying to say, but the overriding impression is that signing it can only reduce the new client's rights.
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 306 16
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 229 7
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 535 10
- The stupidity continues 87 2
- New Employers Helpline 138 3
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 426 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 222 5
- Overlap relief 724 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,305 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 194 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 192 4
- VAT Query 194 2
- Sacked my first client 666 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 418 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 253 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,273 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 622 11
- Trades and deadlines 163 3
- How to pay national insurance 652 18
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172