I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 296 8
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 138 5
- Do I need to pay my accountant 333 6
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 589 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 495 24
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 145 3
- Lloyds bank ... 422 6
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 382 18
- Limited company buying a car 215 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 485 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 258 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 304 4
- ACCA practice certificates 518 5
- Limited company buying director's car 318 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 103 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 145 1
- WC's and capital allowances 191 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 332 13
- Dress code 1,570 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 486 13
- CTA study material 774
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 402
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 285
- Expat pension contributions? 261
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Trust for Employee 241
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 188
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149