I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 98 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 408 8
- Tolley UK sales number 196 7
- Starting new accounting business 183 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 430 10
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 99 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 336 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 118 2
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 139 1
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 60 3
- VAT registration - which address? 53 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 79 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 224 4
- On line Remote Training 238 7
- Clients 594 11
- Group Relief 76 1
- Sage 200 vatable journal? 102 4
- Transfer of stock 250 12
- Can a Directors Pension be paid into a Ltd Company 153 1
- New client procedure 305 4
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 469
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 282
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 179
- Overdrawn director account 171