I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- calculate mortgage interest 285 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 673 26
- Directors NIC's 102 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,474 23
- Advice on letting a client go ? 536 9
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 51 1
- Entrepreneurs relief 135 2
- Declaration of interest 174 7
- Do we have to register for VAT? 397 8
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 226 6
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 75 1
- White van man 821 27
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 135 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 143 4
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 90 3
- Unbelievable!! 739 6
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 384 1
- Receipt bank 294 6
- blank - ignore 451 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 54 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 872
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 567
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 533
- Latest phishing scam 462
- Entrepreneurs' relief 411
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 335
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 239
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 219
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 161