I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 87 1
- Vat 257 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,259 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 334 7
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 107 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 410 6
- Why should I retain membership? 2,687 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 175 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 138 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,473 18
- CT/CIS offset 126 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 184 4
- Trade name 183 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 132 1
- New business - journal entries 314 20
- B2B vat in the EU 119 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 314 18
- VAT on deposits 207 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 137 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 414 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 802
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 710
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 208
- Digita Hosted Software 202
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 152
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 147
- Certificates of tax deposit 139