I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Share transfer question 259 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 397 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 187 5
- New Employers Helpline 119 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,275 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 177 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 180 4
- VAT Query 170 2
- Sacked my first client 639 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 408 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 216 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,262 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 618 11
- Trades and deadlines 138 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 266 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 228 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 419
- WIP Software 286
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 199
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 186