I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,694 21
- Capital gains tax and PPR 131 2
- Badges of trade 66 1
- online accounts and timesheets 62 2
- P11D & tax return 316 11
- Member meet up 1 October in London 365 9
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 239 7
- Identify cost savings 240 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 480 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 182 2
- Jobs after completing ACCA 170 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 610 11
- are these allowable deductions? 173 1
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 582 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 100 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 148 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 429 7
- Schedule A losses 159 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 221 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 844 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 439
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 394
- Electric Car 337
- S222 Charge 273
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 242
- AIA 217
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 210
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 172
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 165