I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 38 3
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 135 1
- signature required 397 17
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 169 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 99 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 170 2
- Homing sandwiches 340 9
- Related Party Transactions 97 2
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 144 4
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 70 1
- UK resident receiving USA pension 47 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 454 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 750 13
- More AE! 752 17
- Web sites 235 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 595 13
- Dispensation 171 3
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 504 14
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 101 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 303 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,229
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 510
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 306
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 183
- TheTax Donut 172
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 155
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155