I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 106 2
- Capital Gain? 509 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 201 5
- Sell business after leaving country 113 2
- How much to charge? 227 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 157 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 638 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 239 2
- break even point 593 18
- Simple consolidation question 108 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 388 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 998 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 404 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 277 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 113 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 168 4
- IHT Query 238 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 447 2
- BrightPay 695 22
- Possible Partnership? 464
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 441
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 429
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 227
- Clubs and Taxable Income 217
- New Fangled Penalties 216
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 212
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 184
- Loans to other companies 167