I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 298 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,930 449
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,755 23
- Direct Debit - no receipts 274 4
- VAT and gap in trading of uncertain length 127 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,722 10
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 552 9
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 308 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,336 63
- Freehold or Investment Property 106 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 858 8
- capital gains on PPR 286 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 381 14
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 246 7
- Company expansion 133 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 400 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 516 15
- 100% Xero practice 2,486 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 291 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 224 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,320
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 482
- National Insurance 374
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 265
- Hands on experience of Digita 218
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 159