I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- How would you account for warranty? 109 4
- LLP - Member leaving 86 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- Sweet Tooth 129 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,014 13
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 188 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 156 2
- trading or dormant 94 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 82 1
- tax credits 118 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 517 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 178 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 257 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 191 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 632 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 81 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 861
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 513
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 303
- Tax efficient holding company structure 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 188
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 158