I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Notes to statutory accounts 27 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 81 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 390 13
- Builder using cash labour 288 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 697 18
- Holding companies 27 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 106 2
- VAT & Landlords 40 1
- VAT Registration 326 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 40 1
- Valuation of PET on death 205 6
- Auto enrolment 856 10
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 246 4
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 405 17
- Vat on second hand goods 167 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 127 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 630 17
- another ir35!!!! 845 3
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 165 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,985 39
- Skandia using wrong address 1,511
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 310
- Bonus Bonds 193
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 190
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 187
- Management expenses for investment company 184
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164