I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- What are options for non CA firm 1,630 25
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 108 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 115 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,896 35
- Real names 1,133 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 520 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 164 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,385 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 685 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 242 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 117 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 141 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 299 5
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,997 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,972 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 98 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 128 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 167 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 129 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 93 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 584
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 355
- IFA incorporation 339
- Sorry ignore me 327
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 281
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 274
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 264
- Cancelled 207
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 178