I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Strike off 43 2
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 28 1
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 116 4
- Gift to son by parents 285 2
- Company investment 47 1
- What is your favourite font? 249 7
- RTI Mess 595 10
- directors loan 490 9
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,551 81
- When to register or not for PAYE 212 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 550 23
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 574 8
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 427 6
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 527 5
- Assets at strike off 179 3
- Business only use of company car 800 29
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 214 5
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,164 34
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,233 30
- New Company reviews please 686 16
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 335
- Any thoughts on Capium? 279
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 268
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 238
- auto enrolment 214
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 193
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 184
- How to account for investment in JV? 173
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 162