I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 717 19
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 106 2
- Share restructure 237 7
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 307 9
- Gross sales to purchases 192 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 178 3
- Capital allowances 130 2
- RTI Filing 1,319 21
- Shareholder Loan write off 511 23
- Loan to a participator 145 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,232 10
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 364 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 106 3
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 227 2
- £2000 Employment Allowance 153 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 350 4
- First RTI P45 212 3
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 172 2
- Non resident director pay 128 2
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 94 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 712
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 316
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 304
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 250
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 191
- VAT on Gaming Machines 186
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 161