I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Cloud accounting package 111 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 987 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 780 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 483 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 248 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 147 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 231 6
- Next Move 324 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 393 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 178 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 223 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 699 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 274 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 159 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,233 34
- Casual Driver 249 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 343 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,262 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 371
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 231
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217