I know it's a busy time so will appreciate any contributions.....
I have a client who was a partner in a two partner business. The final accounts of the partnership showed that my client was owed a substantial amount and his partner was overdrawn, so effectively he was owed the amount from his ex-partner.
After the cessation of the partnership his ex-partner was made bankrupt and he has never recovered any of the money owed to him re his partner's account.
Is this a capital loss for tax purposes under S253 TCGA 1992 - "loans to traders". The balance of his partner's account could have been a mixture of capital introduced and accumulated profits so it doesn't seem to fit into the category of a "loan", but I can't find anything more specific.
Is it a loan to his ex-partner which would qualify as a loan to a trader?
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 543 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,458 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,045 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,194 44
- R&D tax claim 242 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 515 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 125 2
- Gift to employee 369 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 145 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,131 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 310 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 119 2
- Best time software for small practice? 230 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 319 13
- private to company car? 370 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 477
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 331
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 158
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133