CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Project being run jointly 162 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 291 4
- Companies House 574 9
- Dress code 329 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 109 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 307 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 713 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,418 25
- What would you do in this situation? 588 13
- Help Required 368 10
- directors control and tax problems 232 5
- Fastest Software 785 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 955 28
- What's in a name ? 340 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 268 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 453 15
- Bulk Invoicing 185 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 167 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 254 2
- ATED Penalties 280 1
- CTA study material 710
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 432
- Employment related securities question 272
- AIM Stocks and IHT 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 206
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 195
- Trust for Employee 191
- Expat pension contributions? 189
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 186
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 163