CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 167 5
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 157 3
- Where has Portia gone? 1,650 63
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 86 1
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 199 6
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 187 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 253 4
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 385 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 325 9
- Merging my businesses 125 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,719 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 515 16
- VAT on commercial property 141 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,036 49
- deceased creditor 198 5
- Corporate member of LLP 278 1
- Investment company 271 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 343 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 220 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 374 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 781
- RTI - duplicate employee record 535
- Pensions Regulator 444
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 404
- Sage Vat return box 2 307
- Sanzar 304
- Digital marketing focus group 288
- How do you do it 278
- Portia ... Where art thou 257
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 252