CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Output tax for retailer 52 3
- VAT silly question 2,215 50
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 376 5
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 383 10
- Is this a scam? 1,292 22
- Unregistered tax driver 93 4
- Issue of TAX Invoices 117 2
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 146 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 493 21
- Gift or Capital Gain? 123 3
- Payroll software 356 13
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 247 20
- Tax tribunal strike rates 153 2
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,335 21
- ATED-Related CGT returns 292 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 196 4
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,340 31
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 930 22
- Federation Accounts 325 9
- Profit split on buy-to let 274 4
- Overseas Sales 520
- Benchmarking 459
- Possible Partnership? 403
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 393
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 372
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 310
- Wednesday rant 282
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 187
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 178
- Filing Corporation Tax Return for a company that only has investment income 168