CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Sage Priority Support 77 1
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 673 17
- incorrect old p60 93 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 473 4
- VAT on new builds 103 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 340 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 114 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 105 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 118 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,815 26
- Missing tax return 158 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 917 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 273 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 155 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 550 18
- Physiotherapy 236 3
- Inflation and fees 1,214 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 158 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 277 8
- CGT help please 141 1