CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 174 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 207 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 421 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 251 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 103 2
- Was I rude 787 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 283 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 214 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 290 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 283 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 196 6
- Non-compete agreement 184 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 199 1
- Any views 740 1
- IRIS Practice Management 146 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 109 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 95 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 177 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 309 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 259 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,484
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 822
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 422
- Sale of business 396
- NOVA 291
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 204
- Bonus Bonds 177
- Management expenses for investment company 174
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 167