CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,035 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 33 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 66 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 495 4
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 218 2
- Joint Property rent 133 3
- Self assesment losses 238 7
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 179 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 212 1
- Fee protection 847 16
- Overdrawn DLA 240 9
- Disposal of an opted property 128 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 235 5
- Irish Taxation 87 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,113 31
- CIS monthly declaration 191 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 360 4
- Form 2.8b notice of intention to appoint administrator 129 3
- Companies House incorporation service 471 14
- Electronic v printed payslips 140 1
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 333
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 222
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 203
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 202
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 171
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 158