CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Losses carry forward to self employed 111 2
- Fees 365 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,843 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 456 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 325 5
- Agent Authorisation Issue 263 3
- HMRC Post 547 7
- Transactions with directors 460 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 300 9
- Non VAT invoices 226 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 225 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,408 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 269 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 238 2
- Form 17 Download 172 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 578 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 395 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,001 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 293 3
- Accountant Specialization. 409 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 368
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 187
- AIA 182
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180