CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Market Value/Connected Persons 195 8
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 70 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 143 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 122 2
- Personal allowance 418 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Scams are not always obvious 692 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 124 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 129 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 94 3
- Related party disclosures 172 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 181 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 85 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 616 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 240 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 253 8
- Is this legal? 624 9
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,995 23
- Cells from many sheets 126 2
- Taxation of rental income 218 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,042
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 345
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 299
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 220
- fraud 217