CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 453 8
- Company assets 275 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,017 12
- Director resignation 705 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,767 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 103 1
- CIS Only Scheme 67 1
- No payroll scheme in place 334 1
- Xero Training 379 3
- SA Penalty 218 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 235 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 74 1
- The stupidity continues 2,801 103
- Company oversea and VAT 172 7
- Am I too soft? 1,075 14
- looking for a practice consultant 377 4
- Sample wording for fair usage terms 188 2
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 441 11
- Small Business Payroll 198 7
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 246 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 474
- Is there anything wrong with this? 275
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 263
- Uncommercial property business 235
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 202
- Registering online CWF1 180
- Accrued income scheme 176
- VAT - registration needed? 172
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 170