CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- first year company tax return for a limited company 323 12
- Goodwill 28 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 230 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 210 9
- change of office address 210 6
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 272 6
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 214 3
- Furniture Rental Business 160 4
- Solicitor accounts 203 5
- Real names 1,346 41
- Illegal dividends 79 1
- Unallocated client money 311 8
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 174 3
- SAGE V12 78 1
- Errors in prior year accounts 702 18
- What are options for non CA firm 1,860 32
- Expenses Apps 187 3
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 358 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 459 8
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 134 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 608
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 497
- Sorry ignore me 393
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 369
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 283
- Cancelled 254
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 183
- C79 Discrepancy 178
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 167