CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 360 12
- TaxCalc Accounts production 365 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 605 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 483 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 508 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 27 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 84 7
- Personal pension 378 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 202 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,184 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 871 27
- Cocaine anyone? 348 5
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 87 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,493 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 300 4
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 272 1
- Tax return software for remote working 500 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 467 9
- How to purchase business premises? 201 2
- Will I need to resign? 875 10
- Hive up 478
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 441
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 253
- Amortisation of Goodwill 228
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 214
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 185
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 161