CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,637 50
- Not renewing AAT 554 6
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 416 9
- New dividend taxation 242 1
- Company formation and bank account 329 9
- Next Move 598 18
- Owning overseas property 279 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 273 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 187 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 672 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 589 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 221 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 403 8
- OneNote is fantastic 532 11
- VAT Direct Debit 376 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 461 8
- Self Assessment Software 693 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 447 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,364 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 295 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 662
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 395
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 389
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 343
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 293
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 234
- DTA tie-breaker issue 203
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 202