CGT and PPR - lived in, inherited the other half
My client sold a property in 2011/12.
She bought the property in 2005 jointly with her father and they both lived in it 2 years. She moved out in 2007. Father carried on living there and died in 2008 at which time she received the other half. It was let for a period until sale.
I have a gain of 30K - total proceeds less half of original cost and then half of probate value. But now i'm stuck on divi-ing it between occupied periods of living in, letting relief.
How would you split the gain to do PPR etc. At first principles half of the gain would be wholly exempt under the normal "owned, lived in, let and then sold" scenario due to last three years and letting relief. And then the other half has been never lived in ie from father's death. Of course I am not saying two assets are being sold, it is just the one house.
We can't apply the last three years to the whole gain as she only lived in half of it.
I am aware of s222(7) which treats ownership as beginning when the daughter bought a share, ie her half. But it then seems a bonus that as well as getting a probate uplift she also can treat the whole property as being one that she did live in, which would then be wholly exempt after PPR, lettings, last 3 years etc.
Any thoughts please?
- 27,000 Really? 1,038 32
- Legal title not in the company name 761 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 61 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 66 1
- This is getting boring 579 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 232 7
- pension paid by company? 84 3
- inheritance tax 398 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 320 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 215 4
- State pension 287 3
- Accountancy Career 106 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,815 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,273 66
- Deduction from Salary 639 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 431 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,686 16
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 304 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 247
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221