CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,616 44
- New company - form a group? 179 3
- Small company audit 98 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 267 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 777 17
- CIC Company 408 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,677 57
- Is this a scam? 781 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 137 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 348 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 254 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 194 4
- PITA client 257 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 382 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,330 33
- Dividend dates 493 8
- R&D tax credit claim 229 5
- CIS Deductions 276 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 138 1
- is this fraud? 800 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 600
- Cancelled 349
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 334
- Cancelled 286
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 257
- Probiz 244
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 195
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 181
- Car leasing scheme 179
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 166