CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- Career in Practice 142 3
- Goodie bag 154 3
- Software recommendations? 292 4
- Budget 2015 predictions 214 5
- Husband Wife let property 141 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 445 8
- Relevant life plan 348 8
- Limited Company expenses 379 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 200 6
- Telemarketing 178 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 163 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 160 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 194 3
- how to value rental space 109 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 335 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 73 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 465 5
- Output tax for retailer 266 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 453 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,940 32
- Possible Partnership? 608
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 502
- New Fangled Penalties 412
- Clubs and Taxable Income 333
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 300
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 259
- Loans to other companies 245
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 218
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 216
- Outsource Data Entry 213