CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- CGT 413 18
- Vat registration exception 33 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 382 9
- Charity Grant accounting 76 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 374 10
- Property income in different capacities 195 4
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 136 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief 835 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 217 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 383 8
- how to object to registered company name... 191 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 483 14
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 390 5
- VAT QUESTION 311 3
- More AE! 691 15
- Money Soft payroll 555 11
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 217 2
- Change of payroll software 425 10
- Director phone costs 290 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 213 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,190
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 802
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 497
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 290
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 230
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 169
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 146
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 132
- TheTax Donut 131