CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,524 71
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,277 19
- HMRC Scam 226 2
- Departments in Sage 50 77 1
- Where has Portia gone? 660 25
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 199 2
- Rogue Accountant 2,812 45
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 318 4
- Capital Gains? 252 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 94 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 68 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 444 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 119 2
- AIA - new period 217 1
- Self assessment question 1,154 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 372 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 264 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 853 20
- Dividend Tax Rate 441 8
- Ex Wives Club 542 13
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 771
- RTI - duplicate employee record 504
- Pensions Regulator 438
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 394
- Sanzar 296
- Sage Vat return box 2 296
- Digital marketing focus group 275
- How do you do it 262
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 225
- Report old income 225