CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,930 208
- Trademark Fun 95 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,456 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 119 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 153 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 634 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 169 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 148 1
- Recycle old study books 349 9
- Share for share exchange 132 3
- Wind turbines 128 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 509 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 179 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 402 7
- VAT claim 353 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 161 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 400 9
- State Pension 1,208 10
- Late Corporation tax return 355 7
- The iIns and outs of VAT 378 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,057
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 339
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 287
- National Insurance 241
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 222
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 221
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 205
- Payments on account coded out?? 200
- Non Resident 159
- Franchise income and costs 138