CGT Implications of Issuing Shares
I have a client company which is very profitable (profits approx. £1m pa) - it has three shareholders all owning 30 ordinary shares each.
They want to invite another shareholder into the business who has a similar / complementary business which is currently loss making but which they feel has huge potential. This person would also become a director and receive a small salary & dividend etc.
They would like to issue 10 new ordinary shares to the new shareholder in consideration of him transferring his trade into their existing business.
Are there any capital gains tax implications for the existing shareholders because under the new structure they will own 30% of the shares each as opposed to 33.3% etc. i.e. do the S29 value shifting provisions apply and also are there any tax (benefit in kind) issues for the incoming shareholder? I don't think there are any CGT implications for the existing shareholders as it is a fresh issue of shares nor do I think that there are any tax issues for the incoming shareholder as he is not receiving shares by virtue of his employment etc. but any expert advice would be very welcome.
As ever, my apologies if my understanding is basic but I do not have a huge amount of experience in these matters.
- The process of issuing dividend? 40 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 167 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 26 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 465 9
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,217 20
- Non-resident employer & employee 73 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 148 2
- Write off of former director's loan 904 13
- PPR query 128 1
- Fixed asset registers 256 9
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 540 8
- Tech Champion of the Year 161 4
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 54 1
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,104 7
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 115 2
- Vat on digital download of music 112 3
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,655 34
- equipment rental 171 8
- Accomodation BIK? 177 3
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 353 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,345
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 430
- Alphabet shares 233
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 218
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 165
- Charge out rates in London 162
- which entity 147
- confusion about 139
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 139