CGT instalments and ER
Taxpayer has a £3m gain on sale of shares, qualifying for Entrepreneurs relief.
£2m paid immediately , £1m over two instalments at + 12 months and + 24 months.
Consideration is ascertainable.
Q - is there any Entrepreneurs relief restriction if an election under TCGA S280 to pay by instalments is made.
My colleague thought there was, but my research today can't find anything confirming this.
My colleague may be thinking of a Marren v Ingles unascertainable situation though, where loss of ER on the deferred earn out right is a known issue.
My conclusion is that for a straightforward payment by instalment arrangement, ER isn't compromised by TCGA S280 claim to pay by instalments.
Any quick thoughts from the floor?
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,548 428
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,188 61
- Cash injection by shareholder 178 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 233 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 391 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,373 43
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 271 5
- 40% rule for travel expenses 206 1
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 330 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 278 8
- PRR 293 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 194 3
- corp tax software 365 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 453 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 477 7
- Which tax box 196 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 157 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 272 3
- References for clients 239 2
- Direct Debit - no receipts 181 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 465
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 284
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145