CGT - Temporary non-residence, Am I missing something
My client has been working overseas for several years. Non-res no probs and HMRC know this.
He bought a property in 1995 (when he was UK res) and sold it in June 2010 (when he was not). He came back in August 2011, 11/12 not the year of sale.
I need to check when he became non-res but my reading of s10A TCGA says "between year of departure and year of arrival there must be fewer than five years".
So if my client has been overseas for 10 years, say, it looks like s10A does not operate. Then what, no CGT? Surely it can't be simple.
It's very late. Am I being stupid?
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 680 24
- Renting for military reasons 109 2
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 73 2
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 49 3
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 239 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,452 18
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 156 8
- Accounting for a finance lease 88 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,528 39
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,019 18
- SA302's anyone?? 452 15
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 94 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 100 1
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 214 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 479 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,967 30
- Tax status of prizes 304 17
- Clogged Losses 241 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 306 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 253 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,612
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 894
- International interest certificate 503
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 277
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 256
- Help with tax codes on Sage 204
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 168
- tax on apprenticeship income 161