CGT - Temporary non-residence, Am I missing something
My client has been working overseas for several years. Non-res no probs and HMRC know this.
He bought a property in 1995 (when he was UK res) and sold it in June 2010 (when he was not). He came back in August 2011, 11/12 not the year of sale.
I need to check when he became non-res but my reading of s10A TCGA says "between year of departure and year of arrival there must be fewer than five years".
So if my client has been overseas for 10 years, say, it looks like s10A does not operate. Then what, no CGT? Surely it can't be simple.
It's very late. Am I being stupid?
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 248 11
- HMRC filing meltdown? 570 15
- client can't/won't pay 1,969 42
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 123 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 110 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 109 2
- Non resident income. 475 21
- Why do I do this every year 462 10
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 293 22
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 179 3
- Hobby Horse 815 8
- What sectors to target? 622 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 280 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 198 3
- Self assesment online 1,018 11
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 310 5
- closing limited company 203 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 134 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 263 9
- IHT and US resident 82 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 938
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 655
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 605
- Latest phishing scam 583
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 421
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 316
- Scratch Head 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 240
- Sabbatical payments 201
- Negligible Value Claim 181