Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 197 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 188 9
- JIEB Exams 130 1
- RTI 84 1
- Christmas party 97 1
- Am i Liable? 106 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 737 10
- Checking a contract 289 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 309 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 228 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 157 7
- VAT on garage rent 322 14
- Value-shifting 62 1
- Pattern for CTA 206 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 448 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 83 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 226 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 240 5
- EBT 177 1
- Giving a seminar 528 28
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,208
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 607
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 406
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 313
- Agent fees to sell business 188
- Alphabet shares 188
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 181
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 174
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 162
- Office recharges 146