Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,579 43
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 254 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 767 17
- CIC Company 399 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,664 57
- Is this a scam? 769 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 130 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 340 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 246 5
- New company - form a group? 167 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 186 4
- PITA client 239 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 377 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,326 33
- Dividend dates 492 8
- R&D tax credit claim 225 5
- CIS Deductions 273 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 123 1
- is this fraud? 793 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 500 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 599
- Cancelled 348
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 333
- Cancelled 285
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 256
- Probiz 243
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 190
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 159