Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- payroll software 380 4
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 97 5
- client threatening legal action 2,105 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 135 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 148 1
- Instant CPD offer 292 4
- Cash basis 526 13
- Income from rent charged to business 150 2
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 452 5
- Statutory sick pay 319 4
- Dividend in specie 373 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 227 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 183 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 149 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 278 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 299 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 179 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 416 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,863 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 340 3
- Skandia using wrong address 584
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 311
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 310
- Employee rewards 291
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 261
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 232
- Etax Australian 191
- LLP in Construction Industry 158
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 135
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 135