Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Invoice factoring 78 4
- paye scheme very used 157 3
- Operating lease 60 4
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 121 2
- Gifting shares 72 1
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 223 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 458 8
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 799 25
- Disclosure query 118 3
- Auto enrolment 277 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 238 6
- LLP Accounts format 82 1
- Scoot 305 6
- A question about share structure 74 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 198 3
- Top slicing relief question 157 2
- Share swap 190 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 332 2
- Tax on sale of shares 173 3
- Accountants' Error 906 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,466
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 785
- Any views 713
- HMRC Employers Diary 533
- International interest certificate 430
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 399
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 267
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 260