Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- What would be a tax efficient way of selling the main business asset but keeping some to continue with business? 326 17
- HMRC & daft penalty 1,310 8
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 73 2
- Appealing agianst HMRC penalties for dormant company 68 1
- Capital allowances - Jersey 114 4
- Share transfer question 96 2
- Unpaid Share Capital and Companies House Template 113 6
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 392 7
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 101 1
- ERS reporting - online filing 295 8
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 272 5
- Pension contributions 181 5
- Marketing and email surprises 164 2
- Bookkeeping and a/c reconciliation for a members club - advice please 204 5
- Dividend Waiver 258 5
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 266 8
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 476 4
- Document Management Systems 304 1
- Mutual gifts of properties 99 1
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 307 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 408
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 394
- Perkbox 344
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 281
- WIP Software 265
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 203
- No payroll scheme in place 193
- Benefit in Kind? 185
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 184
- Software recommendations 176