Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- ACCA practice certificates 45 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 182 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,080 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 159 2
- What would you do in this situation? 680 14
- Dress code 504 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 517 16
- Project being run jointly 212 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 615 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 373 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 738 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 431 10
- directors control and tax problems 325 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 416 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 328 4
- Bulk Invoicing 199 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 717
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 276
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 265
- AIM Stocks and IHT 254
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 206
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 186