Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 63 3
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 131 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 47 1
- Your comments please 155 4
- CGT history of shares 108 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 664 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 90 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 181 2
- Closing my business down 332 20
- Recording Calls 71 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 73 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,283 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 917 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 74 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 164 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 256 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 257 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Moving away from CCH software 960
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 194