Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,050 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 101 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 203 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 239 6
- Federation Accounts 347 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 523 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 269 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 109 2
- Late reply from HMRC 242 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 281 6
- VAT silly question 2,357 55
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,649 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,416 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,788 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 499 11
- Classic cars investment 194 5
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 211 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 231 8
- RTI - new employee 191 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 604 22
- Benchmarking 482
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 401
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 203
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 201
- Income tax on foreign dividends 184
- Clubs and Taxable Income 182
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 179