Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Self-assessment statistics 2,474 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 218 5
- Transmission of ISA 50 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 189 2
- Next Move 715 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 186 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 505 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,799 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 163 1
- Company car v company allowance 290 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 441 9
- Owning overseas property 352 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 285 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 738 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 286 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 668
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 320
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 208