Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Non VAT invoices 151 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 165 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 249 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 151 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 280 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,370 32
- Fees 178 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 244 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 200 2
- Form 17 Download 115 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 543 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 987 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 269 3
- Accountant Specialization. 375 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 194 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 453 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 398 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 413
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 183
- AIA 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177