Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Self Assessment and P11D 65 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 126 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 604 22
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 867 36
- TRONC scheme 100 1
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 119 3
- Investment from Friend 140 8
- Advice on letting a client go ? 686 13
- Capital Gains Relief 145 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,600 29
- Identity check problem 1,251 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 187 3
- Business Set up cost 104 1
- Aged Debtor 82 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 966 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 99 3
- blank - ignore 500 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 89 2
- calculate mortgage interest 366 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 459 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 574
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 473
- Entrepreneurs' relief 418
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 343
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 242
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 237
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 165