Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 23 1
- recompense capital input 209 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,152 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 80 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 259 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 235 2
- CT losses carry back 112 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 548 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 182 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 779 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,287 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 160 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 186 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 994 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 566
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 415
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185