Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Highlighting a line on cell click 32 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 319 14
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,432 42
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 160 1
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 484 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,947 65
- Client refusing to change basis period 116 2
- Companies House Authentication code 131 5
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 402 5
- Free accounts system for small business? 333 6
- Payroll Software Recommendations 286 9
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 642 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 342 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 254 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 125 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 289 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 399 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 278 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 288 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,840 14
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 228
- Tax on damages received 207
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 167
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- PTP Software 148
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 137