Chargeable Events on a Share Disposal?
A client's father has recently died who held a group of shares with his bank (cost £32k). The client has done some research on the subject and the bank and HMRC have told her that the disposal is not a capital gain due to the fathers death (or something similar) and is in fact a chargeable event.
Now I've only brushed this briefly in my CTA studies as it's not a popular subject nor is it a very common tax area in practice, but now it's come up, I need some assistance to fully understand the implications of this.
The client has always been a basic rate taxpayer and has only had pension income which has put him no where near the higher rate bracket. I read that if they were a basic rate taxpayer, then the tax on the qualifying gain from the share disposal is already paid for and therefore there is no tax liability nor does the client even have to do anything regarding Self Assessment.
The shares were disposed for around £43 so the gain on the policy was only £11k. Shame it's not a capital disposal as the resulting CGT would have been a poxy £209 after the annual exemption, I'm just hoping there's no massive liability as a result of the gain.
Please can someone clarify why it's a chargeable event and also whether my assumptions are correct on there been no tax to pay or any SA requirement?
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,115 340
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 115 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 409 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 121 3
- property rental income split 238 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 458 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 86 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 77 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,249 5
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 392 21
- Use of home for storage 307 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 314 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 777 15
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,227 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 340 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 203 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 80 1
- Payments on account coded out?? 291 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 362 9
- What should I do for 'free' 624 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,182
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 400
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 312
- National Insurance 306
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 259
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 232
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 232
- Non Resident 216
- Franchise income and costs 199
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 139