I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 238 7
- Directors loan accounts 367 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 304 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 249 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 101 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 164 1
- Employed clients and expenses 792 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,031 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 692 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 891 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,094 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 499 18
- I.d for vat registration 269 10
- Bookkeping software 900 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 286 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 251 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 343 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,826 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 124 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 156 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 539
- NOVA 488
- Bonus Bonds 374
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 139