I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Unhappy client over fees 989 24
- ACCA student with study package 270 7
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 1,302 13
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 202 8
- HMRC Online services Issue 227 10
- VAT exempt question.. 134 4
- do i need an online accounting software 448 5
- Financing goodwill 154 3
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 598 13
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 167 2
- ltd company 178 3
- Flat rate VAT and Work in progress 248 4
- How did the VAT Office get the bank account? 238 2
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 364 2
- What VAT rate 150 3
- Preference Shares and Dividend Waivers 152 1
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 255 8
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 268 5
- Staff commissions 150 1
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 284 4
- NHS finance professionals 781
- Foreign Pension Contribution 464
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 453
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 397
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 359
- Incorporating doctors 338
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 253
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 240
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 200