I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 232 8
- Is this legal? 573 9
- Scams are not always obvious 598 16
- Market Value/Connected Persons 159 7
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 575 16
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 123 3
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,969 23
- Cells from many sheets 106 2
- Taxation of rental income 148 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 127 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 52 1
- Childcare vouchers 66 1
- Directors loan 1,386 9
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 117 1
- New company formation and equity 154 3
- Previously dormant company now medium sized - does it need an audit? 115 1
- Tax planning, transferring BTL property to company 211 5
- Forming a Holding Company 153 2
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 99 1
- OMB contractor company making himself redundant 238 3
- New Fangled Penalties 1,038
- Moving away from CCH software 899
- Recruitment agencies 521
- QROP pension input amounts 409
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 361
- Deemed Employment Payment 340
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 301
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 216
- fraud 200