I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 157 5
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 872 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 449 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 131 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 165 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 102 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 84 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,844 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 99 1
- 'Find an accountant' 188 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 95 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 79 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 104 1
- Construction Industry Funding 108 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 95 1
- How important are Journals? 325 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 720 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 601 1
- Social Worker limited Co 127 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 490
- Skandia using wrong address 432
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 378
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 265
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 227
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 206
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 179