I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 465 10
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 566 7
- Opening balances Sage 50 24 1
- Flat rate vat 318 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 232 6
- Rental property company 176 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 168 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 410 12
- Starting up in practice - safety net 375 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,470 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,198 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 399 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 308 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 283 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 405 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 227 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 217 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 166 2
- Director's tax return 429 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 200 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184