I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- P800 problems again 156 2
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 203 1
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 729 16
- Servicing AE fees 212 3
- FRS 101 Software 363 1
- VAT on farm machinery sold 293 6
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 591 9
- proper link to login to HMRC online services 156 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 105 1
- When to register or not for PAYE 552 12
- Software for Accounts layout 297 5
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 260 6
- Directors Loan Account Question 488 13
- Invoicing for monthly clients 515 10
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 149 1
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,192 41
- Flat Rate VAT 267 8
- Practice software 1,207 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 330 7
- Redundancy pay 334 9
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 310
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 300
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 276
- French ConnectionUK 243
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 220
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 206
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 205
- APN's 189
- Job costing 162
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 142