I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 209 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,206 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 332 6
- Go Cardless 366 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 301 3
- Mehjoo 321 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 102 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 358 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 187 4
- SA302 326 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 285 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 213 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 169 1
- Hosted email exchange 186 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 361 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 252 7
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 204
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 203
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151