I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- CisVerification as an agent 164 2
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 249 2
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 344 6
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 318 6
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 303 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 392 9
- Transmission of ISA 250 3
- Is the CT61 return dead? 405 5
- backpack 396 4
- CIS 354 9
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 693 16
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,323 18
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,186 14
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 486 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 186 2
- Really?! 916 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,418 26
- VAT 701/49 query 249 2
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 223 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 223 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 711
- 2015 tax year end 444
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 422
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 361
- Costly Accounting Software contract 323
- Directors' advances and credits 264
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 226
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204