I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 22 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 30 2
- Boffin of the Year 173 7
- Giving a seminar 642 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 896 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 331 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 315 14
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 447 9
- Altered PAYE cheque 437 9
- PAYE versus Dividends 117 1
- equipment rental 70 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 378 16
- Non sequitur 166 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,194 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 572 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 127 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 263 9
- Am i Liable? 801 19
- Joint Filing Help 167 3
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 245 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,280
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 631
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 416
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 325
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 244
- Alphabet shares 215
- Agent fees to sell business 205
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 201
- Office recharges 161
- Tax position on lease extension 156