I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Interim dividends 140 4
- Company Payroll 73 1
- Dates, more dates and cessation 81 2
- Any printer recommendations? 162 6
- Out of date tax returns 243 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 120 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,045 6
- VAT on Exhibition services 117 3
- Filling in my self assessment 969 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 162 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 324 7
- proposed dividends 658 22
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 438 6
- FPS responses ... 517 16
- Nominal Codes 277 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 210 7
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 235 2
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 196 3
- HMRC SMP Calculator - does it still exist? 130 2
- Alcohol VAT reclaim 179 1
- Sanzar 499
- Digital marketing focus group 399
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 379
- Sainsbury's mangement 330
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 329
- Continuity Agreement 325
- Avanti Accounts 323
- Buyback 286
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 233
- Aggresive sales from Iris 199