I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- VAT refund 287 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,256 37
- flat rate scheme 49 2
- Turnover on a tax return 519 12
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 67 2
- incorrect old p60 548 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 84 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 175 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 127 1
- Special dividends & CGT 193 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 169 1
- Networking 345 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 271 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 302 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 151 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 331 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 280 2
- IT Contractor 282 1
- Sage instant account codes 199 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 298 1