I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,541 42
- CIC Company 377 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,646 57
- Is this a scam? 752 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 112 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 323 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 231 5
- New company - form a group? 153 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 171 4
- PITA client 203 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 361 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,310 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 739 15
- Dividend dates 487 8
- R&D tax credit claim 211 5
- CIS Deductions 271 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 113 1
- is this fraud? 786 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 495 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,534 28
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 331
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 254
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 184
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 176
- Car leasing scheme 175
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 153