I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- BVI registered 151 3
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,335 23
- Closing a limited company 375 6
- Self assessment for directors 146 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 272 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,606 17
- A little knowledge 368 6
- Digita in the cloud 160 2
- Tax relief when working away 81 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 967 36
- Tax relief when working away 183 3
- Designated sole Residence 247 5
- Scratch Head 347 1
- Year end 269 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 324 13
- Clothing 638 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 173 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 204 5
- Identity check problem 1,522 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 268 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 965
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 688
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 612
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 451
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 267
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 229
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Negligible Value Claim 207