I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Tax code for Companies House fees 169 3
- Scoot 138 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 645 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,425 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 97 1
- Regaining my qualification 159 2
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 118 1
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 225 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 171 2
- Auto enrolment 172 3
- Shareholder agreement 160 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 193 3
- Company Reorganisation 147 3
- Employee Loan 189 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 457 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 577 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 134 1
- Wear and tear allowance 460 6
- Accountants' Error 652 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 354 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,447
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 754
- Any views 688
- HMRC Employers Diary 520
- International interest certificate 422
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 384
- Sale of business 348
- NOVA 254
- Advertising services? 245
- IRIS Open Books problem 239