I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 67 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 166 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 309 7
- Capital gain? 84 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,253 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 274 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 352 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 418 8
- vat help for catering concession 276 10
- IHT dilemma 1,157 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 338 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 323 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 112 2
- Compliance check 517 13
- sole trader accountant 795 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 406 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 606 21
- More AE! 511 11
- How to classify an asset 167 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,085
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 781
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 466
- Digita Hosted Software 282
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 229
- Credit where credit's due....... 223
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 209
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 190
- Director phone costs 153