I am a member of the CIOT having qualified years ago (!) and have receieved my renewal for 2013 (£300 odd).
I am seriously considering whether to renew - I cave in each time when I recall the effort taking the exams etc, but that is a sunk cost.
In reality, clients have never heard of CIOT and I really cannot think of any benefit of actually being a member.
They recently admitted members from the Institute of Indirect Taxation, as far as I can see just to get their member numbers up as an end in itself, but not realising that diminishes the value (at least in my view).
Can any members provide good reasons to renew? Apart from local meetings/lectures which I would agree may make it worthwhile, but I already have my CPD taken care of.
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 163 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 200 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,229 35
- Mortgage Reference 549 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 253 7
- Insovent companies 885 19
- New Build 213 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,297 48
- BrightPay quirks 227 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 807 20
- Website Content 182 1
- Personal Tax 631 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 199 1
- USA Tax Query 314 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 441 5
- last minute request 656 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 368 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 402 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,742 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6