I've just started working for a Company that uses subcontractors. This company has never deducted CIS as the engineers used were primarily air conditioning engineers. Yet now we are also going to be using Electrical Subcontractors.
We don't really want to go down the CIS route and I've noticed on the HMRC website that if its less than £1 million spent on construction works then there would be no need to deduct CIS from the subcontractors. Am I understanding this correctly that as our company's turnover is around £650k per year and that is for both air conditioning works and electrical works we would not have to make any deductions?
I've also being told by someone already in the industry that if our subcontractors become a limited company and I work for them as a book-keeper and do all the accounting works for them that this would be another way of not having to deduct anything.
Can anyone assist me as I want to make sure that what my MD wants to do is correct and that there will be no comeback from the HMRC as I know how strict they are when it comes to CIS.
Any advice will be grately appreciated.
- Loss on disposal and impairment 35 1
- Are HMRC getting it right? 81 1
- Comments on this scenario 130 3
- PPR election - what do you think? 225 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 143 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,650 67
- Penalties 115 1
- SAGE con 229 4
- rates of pay query 224 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 93 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 145 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 200 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 112 1
- Overpayment relief claim 158 5
- Charity reserves 132 3
- Have i messed up? 676 10
- Year end 368 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 233 3
- Related Parties Note 422 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 113 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,020
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 557
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 364
- Tax efficient holding company structure 290
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 277
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Charge out rates in London? 213
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151