I've just started working for a Company that uses subcontractors. This company has never deducted CIS as the engineers used were primarily air conditioning engineers. Yet now we are also going to be using Electrical Subcontractors.
We don't really want to go down the CIS route and I've noticed on the HMRC website that if its less than £1 million spent on construction works then there would be no need to deduct CIS from the subcontractors. Am I understanding this correctly that as our company's turnover is around £650k per year and that is for both air conditioning works and electrical works we would not have to make any deductions?
I've also being told by someone already in the industry that if our subcontractors become a limited company and I work for them as a book-keeper and do all the accounting works for them that this would be another way of not having to deduct anything.
Can anyone assist me as I want to make sure that what my MD wants to do is correct and that there will be no comeback from the HMRC as I know how strict they are when it comes to CIS.
Any advice will be grately appreciated.
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 73 2
- Help 127 9
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 202 9
- Where has Portia gone? 5,024 109
- Overlap profit 290 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 316 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,059 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 118 1
- Payments on account 175 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 73 1
- What do your junior staff do? 521 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 646 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 410 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 535 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 128 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,940 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 347 3
- On the high seas 113 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 145 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 857 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 852
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 340
- How do you do it 336
- Digital marketing focus group 311
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 295
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 209
- Fit for purpose 202
- new investor structure 198
- VAT Registration 180