I've just started working for a Company that uses subcontractors. This company has never deducted CIS as the engineers used were primarily air conditioning engineers. Yet now we are also going to be using Electrical Subcontractors.
We don't really want to go down the CIS route and I've noticed on the HMRC website that if its less than £1 million spent on construction works then there would be no need to deduct CIS from the subcontractors. Am I understanding this correctly that as our company's turnover is around £650k per year and that is for both air conditioning works and electrical works we would not have to make any deductions?
I've also being told by someone already in the industry that if our subcontractors become a limited company and I work for them as a book-keeper and do all the accounting works for them that this would be another way of not having to deduct anything.
Can anyone assist me as I want to make sure that what my MD wants to do is correct and that there will be no comeback from the HMRC as I know how strict they are when it comes to CIS.
Any advice will be grately appreciated.
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 306 16
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 229 7
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 535 10
- The stupidity continues 86 2
- New Employers Helpline 138 3
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 426 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 222 5
- Overlap relief 724 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,303 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 194 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 192 4
- VAT Query 194 2
- Sacked my first client 666 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 418 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 252 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,273 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 622 11
- Trades and deadlines 163 3
- How to pay national insurance 652 18
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172