I've just started working for a Company that uses subcontractors. This company has never deducted CIS as the engineers used were primarily air conditioning engineers. Yet now we are also going to be using Electrical Subcontractors.
We don't really want to go down the CIS route and I've noticed on the HMRC website that if its less than £1 million spent on construction works then there would be no need to deduct CIS from the subcontractors. Am I understanding this correctly that as our company's turnover is around £650k per year and that is for both air conditioning works and electrical works we would not have to make any deductions?
I've also being told by someone already in the industry that if our subcontractors become a limited company and I work for them as a book-keeper and do all the accounting works for them that this would be another way of not having to deduct anything.
Can anyone assist me as I want to make sure that what my MD wants to do is correct and that there will be no comeback from the HMRC as I know how strict they are when it comes to CIS.
Any advice will be grately appreciated.
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 213 6
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 228 5
- Employed clients and expenses 760 13
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 33 1
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 105 2
- Taxfiler V's BTC 807 31
- Quickbooks 2015 171 1
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 361 13
- Sage reporting 105 4
- SA302's anyone?? 2,775 41
- Directors loan accounts 246 6
- Professional Clearance 1,511 23
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 340 8
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 112 2
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 124 2
- BTC Software 265 9
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 199 7
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 102 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 572 30
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,715 25
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,014
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 523
- NOVA 481
- Bonus Bonds 361
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 346
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 261
- Payment for Promotional Samples 234
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 233
- Friendly Pensions 158
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 147