Class 4 NI on foreign partnership share
A client is UK domiciled and resident. He's a partner in a large US law firm. Like many of these firms, there is a "global" partnership which essentially consolidates worldwide income and produces a US partnership return, and underneath that there is a plethora of national partnerships. So he's a partner in the US firm, and also a partner in the "subsidiary" UK firm. His total income is reported in the US and is taxed there and here (albeit the UK partnership share is deducted thereform to avoid double taxation). On his tax return, his UK partnership page is entered as normal, and the remaining share of profits from the global firm is reported as a foreign partnership.
The question is - is Class 4 due on the non-UK profits as well as the UK profits? I'm getting entirely opposite views from different sources. Section 9.42 of Ray's Partnership Taxation says not, but I can't see the proof of this in the legislation referred to (SSCBA 1992 s15 (1) c). All I can see there is that the liability for Class 4 follows that for income tax. I did see something on the HMRC website saying that Class 4 wasn't due where the the profits arose on a trade or profession where the activities were carried on entirely oveseas. but I can't find it now.
I should mention that he doesn't pay the Class 4 equivalent in the US.
Can anyone help?
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 162 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 198 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,229 35
- Mortgage Reference 547 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 252 7
- Insovent companies 885 19
- New Build 212 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,297 48
- BrightPay quirks 226 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 807 20
- Website Content 181 1
- Personal Tax 630 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 197 1
- USA Tax Query 313 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 441 5
- last minute request 656 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 367 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 401 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,742 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6