Is there an advance clearance procedure for getting HMRC agreement that Rent-a-room relief is available in a given set of (borderline) circumstances? Obviously would not be obtainable in time for 31 Jan deadline for 2011-12, but I mean generally.
An alternative would be to claim the relief and white space yourself into oblivion. But would you have to repeat that process every year? I appreciate that the circumstances might change from one year to the next (much as they might do when a PAYE dispensation is granted) and a clearance might have to be reviewed and re-confirmed. I just wanted to try to get out of the hassle of annual white spacing when there are no relevant changes of circumstance.
Another alternative would be to white space yourself to kingdom come in year one and then, if no enquiry is raised into that return, AND if there are no changes in circumstances, then to assume implicit clearance. The likelihood of an enquiry in a later year would probably be reduced by adopting this policy, but that would have to be weighed up against the penalty regime and opportunity for back duty assessments. It occurs to me however that you might have a defence against an accusation of "carelessness" if you have gone through the hoops in year one (alone). In that case, even if there is as adjustment the penalty would be at 0%. Doesn't get you out of the back duty assessments, mind, so on balance a more dangerous policy, perhaps.
With kind regards
- P11d query 269 5
- Rental expenses 57 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 137 5
- What are my legal responsibilities 351 14
- Business lending another business money (UK) 88 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 337 4
- No more tax returns... 1,540 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 420 6
- Signed accounts for bank 296 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 478 10
- Landing clients 424 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,155 22
- Termination Payment 212 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 220 3
- CRM / marketing 114 2
- Allocation of income from property 759 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,886 28
- Opening a Quick books file 145 1
- 64-8 problems 524 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 351 10