Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 68 2
- Moving to the cloud 613 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 147 2
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 68 1
- Companies house strike off 47 1
- How much to charge for payroll? 729 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 154 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 124 4
- BTC vs Digita 977 29
- Seeking a tax case 259 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 289 4
- See you all on the other side 238 5
- VATABLE Income 287 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 229 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 268 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 492 6
- P11D software 102 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 452 9
- VAT - business splitting 235 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 522
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 351
- IRIS and FRS 102 325
- USA help 283
- Capitalising Finance Lease 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 246
- Capital gains on rental property 228
- Sage Coretime 215
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 208