Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,142 45
- dividend 122 10
- Error on SA Tax Return 89 2
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 90 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 240 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 148 3
- Irish Taxation 133 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 291 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 508 6
- Drector renting room to company 81 1
- Off site storage 139 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 587 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 240 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 348 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 228 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 319 4
- Self assesment losses 316 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 170 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 178 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 118 2
- Xtuple 563
- Qtac payroll for bureau 385
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 340
- Domain name sale and limited company 231
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 207
- Investment 204
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 179
- Tax on damages received 178
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 145