Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Taxfiler V's BTC 637 24
- Directors loan accounts 96 4
- BTC Software 56 2
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 462 11
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 30 1
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,150 17
- New Practice 219 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 132 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 254 4
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 806 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 535 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 96 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,994 25
- Valuation of business 311 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 163 7
- Dividend Payments 423 10
- I.d for vat registration 196 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 161 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 215 1
- Myfirmsapp 643 13
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 356
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 223
- Quickbooks 2015 152