Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 170 3
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 198 4
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 108 1
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 287 1
- ACCA practice certificates 55 1
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,086 32
- What would you do in this situation? 691 14
- Dress code 513 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 527 16
- Project being run jointly 216 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 321 4
- Companies House 617 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 386 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 742 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,457 25
- Help Required 435 10
- directors control and tax problems 331 5
- Fastest Software 814 13
- What's in a name ? 423 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 341 4
- CTA study material 720
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 278
- AIM Stocks and IHT 256
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 239
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 210
- Trust for Employee 207
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 191
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 125