Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- VAT Invoice 264 7
- VAT on sale of an Asset 119 1
- Cash in Hand 216 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 217 5
- are receipts needed? 650 17
- SA302's anyone?? 635 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 342 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 174 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 362 12
- Busines software 205 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 226 6
- Converting a barn for business use 193 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 327 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 336 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 507 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 356 3
- Bookkeping software 746 7
- Clogged Losses 295 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 292 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 677 10
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 913
- International interest certificate 527
- NOVA 376
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 339
- Management expenses for investment company 280
- Bonus Bonds 279
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 188
- EXACT ONLINE 174
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 171