Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- How would you account for warranty? 98 3
- Sweet Tooth 121 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,013 13
- LLP - Member leaving 75 4
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 183 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 154 2
- trading or dormant 89 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 76 1
- tax credits 110 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 513 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 174 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 256 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 108 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 190 3
- Foreign income for self employed 124 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 627 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 77 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 860
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 217
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 186
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157