Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 979 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 107 3
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 177 8
- SAGE winforecast 232 1
- Trust 97 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 63 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 67 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 53 1
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 177 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 128 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 221 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 163 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 94 4
- Auto enrolment 1,570 15
- Annual Report - How to? 272 10
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 261 4
- Client's company struck off 2,065 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 155 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 135 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,132 17
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 526
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 460
- EPS and CIS deductions 325
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 307
- Construction CIS LLP Company 298
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 288
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 245
- Overdrawn director account 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 203
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 187