Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 823 40
- Tax relief for networking day out? 529 14
- SA316s 171 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 51 1
- Swiching tax 525 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 740 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 507 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 525 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 370 11
- Start-up cost recognition 105 1
- Lunches 242 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 393 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 140 3
- Generic notification message 258 6
- Property Expenses 220 7
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 153 1
- Accrued salary unpaid 263 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,211 18
- Basis periods 116 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 125 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 604
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 591
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 386
- Pensions Regulator 351
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 290
- Using the correct forms 265
- SA penalty proposals 256
- RTI - duplicate employee record 255
- Accelerated payment notices 236
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 227