Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 122 7
- White van man 318 15
- Window Comb Binder Cover 283 5
- STUDENT LOAN 41 1
- Bookkeeping question 558 6
- wave software 209 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 330 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 194 3
- Backdate C79? 156 2
- Entertaining - definition? 289 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 345 10
- foreign income 106 1
- SA1 Online 85 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 90 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 89 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 342 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 96 1
- Capital allowances offset rule 133 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 124 4
- Worried over stock value 157 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 820
- Copy Wanted 545
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 501
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 485
- Latest phishing scam 338
- Entrepreneurs' relief 311
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 284
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 277
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 273
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 180