Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 109 1
- Instant CPD offer 277 4
- Cash basis 509 13
- Income from rent charged to business 115 2
- payroll software 361 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 434 5
- Statutory sick pay 300 4
- Dividend in specie 363 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 217 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 174 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 269 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 293 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 163 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 376 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,854 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 328 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 254 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 105 1
- Investor exit 197 3
- Skandia using wrong address 568
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 303
- Employee rewards 288
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 246
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 226
- Etax Australian 186
- LLP in Construction Industry 151
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 131
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130