Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Car or Van - BIK not VAT 397 12
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 93 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 202 4
- Let Property Campaign 173 3
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 52 1
- What would you do? 336 2
- Taxable income for previous years 361 8
- Depreciation on purchase of software 146 2
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,308 16
- App recommendations 330 4
- Defend your local inspector? 622 7
- accountant in Bristol 499 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 761 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,149 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 705 9
- Resident and Non-resident 768 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 167 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 418 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 148 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 398 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 357
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 279
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 195
- S222 Charge 184
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 176
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 175