Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Sole Trader to Ltd 95 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 423 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 612 8
- VT accounts licence key 366 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 418 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 490 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 47 1
- Flat rate vat 328 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 236 6
- Rental property company 182 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 177 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,476 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,207 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 412 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 320 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 290 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 240 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 220 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 170 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184