Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Estate agent and VAT registration 21 1
- is this fraud? 718 13
- CIS Deductions 244 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,248 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 455 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,438 28
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,266 25
- Dividend dates 437 7
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 180 5
- Not a good start no broadband 455 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 138 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 700 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 198 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 75 1
- Intrastat triangulation 63 1
- CGT 148 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 188 4
- Question regarding gym training 377 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 172 3
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 586
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 236
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 175
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 167
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150