Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 170 5
- New Employers Helpline 110 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 206 5
- Overlap relief 711 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,252 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 167 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 174 4
- VAT Query 160 2
- Sacked my first client 610 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 397 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 209 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,250 24
- Share transfer question 249 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 609 11
- Trades and deadlines 130 3
- How to pay national insurance 646 18
- New Website Look 1,071 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 258 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 224 5
- Marketing and email surprises 350 7
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 418
- WIP Software 285
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- No payroll scheme in place 217
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 195
- Software recommendations 195
- Is there anything wrong with this? 188
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 183