Client ceased trading December 2012
My sole trader client's accounts year end was usually 5th April each year. He has always been behind with letting me have his records and often picks up a penalty for a late Tax Return. He also has tax arrears that he pays off by instalments.
Client has not yet let me have his records to 5th April 2012 despite my repeated requests.
Client telephoned me today to say he will let me have his records to 5th April 2012 soon (I will believe that when I see them).
As a by the way, client mentioned that his business ceased trading in December 2012 but that it will take him some while to let me have his records from 6th April 2012 to cessation of trading as he is way behind with his records. In his usual way the client will just accept the late Tax Return penalties and keep paying his tax and penalties arrears by instalments. Is there any chance HMRC will not penalise him for a late 2012 Tax Return on the basis that his 2012/13 tax liability cannot be determined until his final accounts are available and would normally be included in his 2013 Tax Return ?.
On another issue, clients capital allowance pool was written off several years ago using the small pools writing down allowance and I doubt that the equipment now has any value so no balancing charge would result, but in 2011 client purchased a motor van, annual investment allowance was claimed on this van such that it has a nil capital allowances balance, however client is keeping that van so I guess that a market value should apply at 31st December 2012 and a balancing charge then arises - Do balancing charges result when AIA has previously claimed ?.
Old timer needing his hand held on these technical issues - thanks for any help.
- Cash basis VAT return 202 2
- Using home as clients registered address 454 7
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 235 1
- Technical reference 279 3
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 284 6
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 307 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 878 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 185 4
- EIS/SEIS 243 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 310 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 199 2
- Form EIS3 138 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 176 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 283 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 324 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 278 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 230 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 249 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 267 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 138 1
- The booking.com con 363
- Cocaine anyone? 349
- WWOOFers 348
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 338
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 230
- Ho Ho Ho 225
- logical office 214
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 199
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 197
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 191