Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 46 1
- Bank request To verify Accounts 155 2
- The stupidity continues 1,308 67
- AML report needed? 125 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 139 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 381 9
- Marketing and email surprises 443 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 761 26
- What is IRIS World like? 407 10
- transactions after account have been closed 300 9
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 316 5
- Mlom bollocks 231 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 98 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 584 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 301 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 276 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 163 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,371 25
- New Employers Helpline 231 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 443
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 442
- WIP Software 306
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 292
- No payroll scheme in place 240
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 196
- Uncommercial property business 186