Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- RTI 309 11
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 517 10
- Am i Liable? 677 18
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 75 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 385 8
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 202 6
- What is wrong with HMRC? 187 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,119 61
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,479 33
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 217 8
- Write off of former director's loan 756 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 73 2
- Compensation payment and child benefit 86 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 248 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 88 1
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 106 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 135 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 398 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 388 9
- Added years superannuation 109 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,268
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 623
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 414
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 323
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 236
- Alphabet shares 208
- Agent fees to sell business 201
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 198
- Office recharges 159
- Tax position on lease extension 152