Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Freelance/Employee 86 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 534 17
- Profit split from an investment property 223 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 795 29
- The importance of Grammar 1,404 44
- VAT & Offshore Companies 258 7
- VAT and customer entertaining 259 4
- tax saving on card points 279 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 296 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,316 11
- Xero Pain Points 571 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 194 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 723 12
- PI cover 255 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 977 15
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,484 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 222 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 282 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 274 9
- Scissors 915 24
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 376
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 333
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 314
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 301
- Electric Car 251
- S222 Charge 220
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 202
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 187