Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- SA302's anyone?? 586 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 26 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 338 12
- Cash in Hand 65 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 135 4
- Busines software 127 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 182 6
- Converting a barn for business use 181 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 302 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 307 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 468 10
- are receipts needed? 604 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 290 3
- Bookkeping software 715 7
- Clogged Losses 278 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 261 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 653 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 314 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 264 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 123 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 907
- International interest certificate 520
- NOVA 370
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 319
- Management expenses for investment company 274
- Bonus Bonds 265
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 160
- EXACT ONLINE 154
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150