Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 52 3
- Real names 657 23
- Capital Gains Tax 198 6
- Fixed Assets 28 1
- Well well well 421 6
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 157 3
- Dividend payment date 1,954 35
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 196 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 178 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 172 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 208 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 211 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 229 9
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 500 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,315 28
- LLP and LTD Co 107 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 115 1
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 305 9
- CGT on Sale of shop 101 1
- Disincorporation before selling goodwill in the business 224 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 439
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 341
- IFA incorporation 321
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 308
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 302
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 258
- Sorry ignore me 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 242