Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Closing my business down 37 3
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 216 3
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 52 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 577 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,237 36
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 215 3
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,460 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 178 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 827 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 79 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 281 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 79 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,080 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 401 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 144 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 212 3
- FPS or EPS 159 2
- Continuity of Practice 211 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 139 2
- Moving away from CCH software 951
- QROP pension input amounts 438
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 324
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 255
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 226
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197