Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- B2B vat in the EU 138 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,732 47
- Coding Notice 161 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 139 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 127 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 448 7
- Vat 279 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,277 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 346 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 190 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,491 18
- CT/CIS offset 146 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 193 4
- Trade name 194 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 143 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 212 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 147 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 820
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 392
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 143