Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 402 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 65 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 102 2
- What does it mean?? 348 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 286 13
- VAT on motor expenses 895 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 71 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,707 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,306 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 101 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 165 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 201 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 160 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 747 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 392 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 210 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 334 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 117 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 97 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 236
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 222
- Management expenses for investment company 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 205
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 194