Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,231 45
- practice planning 152 3
- Accounts Software 710 19
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 239 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 499 14
- Dividend Vouchers 377 5
- Gift to employee 413 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 162 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 152 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,117 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 187 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 159 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,665 10
- Which address 1,079 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 615 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,522 17
- R&D tax claim 264 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 553 9
- Tax Allowance on University Course 210 1
- Transfer of a business 133 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 467
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 323
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 274
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 129