Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Director's tax return 311 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 64 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 150 2
- Sage Payroll 306 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 198 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,049 33
- vat return 254 3
- Flat rate vat 135 1
- Value pricing 725 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 159 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 225 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 291 4
- Reregister for VAT 152 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 201 6
- Weely paid employees 254 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 500 11
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 231 6
- Wrong career 493 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 298 7
- Laptop purchase 1,412 20
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 799
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 553
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 421
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 299
- Free Tax Legislation? 269
- Director Loan account operation 251
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 247
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 241
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 160