Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Proof of identification 29 1
- How much does the company pay 753 32
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 52 2
- Which tax returns can I submit? 62 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 284 5
- Using home as clients registered address 177 4
- Childcare vouchers 359 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 65 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 67 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 52 1
- two business from one premises 179 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 41 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 411 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 343 4
- Merry Christmas 118 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 81 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,090 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 422 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,431 9
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 244
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 220
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177