Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- CIS Deductions 37 2
- Share swap 402 14
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 311 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 147 3
- Check my logic on this please? 224 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 65 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 220 6
- Late P45 193 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 538 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 166 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 423 13
- CIC accounts submission 89 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 596 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 439 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 264 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,509 44
- What does it mean?? 483 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,131 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 240 4
- VAT & Landlords 222 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 240
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161