Client in Hospital
I have a client who is on life support in hospital and is unlikely to be of any help in the next month.
They are a medium sized landlord and I have *most* of the data as it came in some months ago, but there are gaps which we had been waiting for until we found out this week why we hadn't heard anything. His wife isn't involved in the business but is a co-owner of the properties.
My plan was to:
1. Prepare draft accounts on a best estimate basis
2. Prepare a list of estimates and assumptions
3. Send these estimates with the draft tax returns to the wife to sign so there is full disclosure
4. Get return in before end of Jan.
My concerns are:
1. Sending a return in without the proper client authorisation. The clients are relatively young and don't have power of attorney in place so the wife ought not be signing for the husband in theory.
2. Ticking the "estimates" box on the return triggering requests for a final return at a later date - would it be better to just put in the white space whats happening? Based on the illness I think even if he makes it out of hospital (which is at best 50:50) this is going to be beyond him for a long while, possibly permanently.
3. Should I attach a doctors note or similar to 'ward off' HMRC from taking an interest in the matter? Clearly they must have 'heard this one before' in terms of excuses people make for not doing their returns properly.
I am trying to do the best for my clients in terms of getting HMRC off their backs at a difficult time but at the same time avoiding getting in hot water myself by sending in non-signed and estimated accounts etc.
I am probably over-thinking this massively, but any help appreciated.
- Do you lose losses on cessation 330 10
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 113 2
- foreign income 99 1
- SA1 Online 52 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 73 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 86 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 334 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 87 1
- White van man 225 8
- Capital allowances offset rule 109 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 114 4
- Worried over stock value 137 1
- Start of letting business when property owner took lodgers prior to letting out 118 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,296 22
- Mortgage extended on a rental property 118 1
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 201 5
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 168 3
- VAT on leased double cabs 93 1
- Backdate C79? 138 1
- Having a Jan blank moment 213 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 818
- Copy Wanted 542
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 497
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 480
- Latest phishing scam 335
- Entrepreneurs' relief 309
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 279
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 274
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 271
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 177