Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 80 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 157 4
- Late reply from HMRC 228 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 273 6
- VAT silly question 2,340 55
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,626 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,408 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,781 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 494 11
- Classic cars investment 187 5
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 198 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 226 8
- RTI - new employee 188 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 598 22
- H&W company 133 2
- BrightPay 546 14
- VAT registration 138 1
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 127 1
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,103 29
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 248 6
- Benchmarking 480
- Possible Partnership? 426
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 405
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 399
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 344
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 202
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 196
- Income tax on foreign dividends 181
- Clubs and Taxable Income 180
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 178