Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 336 4
- transitioning payroll 148 4
- Legal title not in the company name 162 9
- VAT - Recharge 55 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,540 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 149 3
- Deduction from Salary 192 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,739 30
- Car financed by employee 186 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 114 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 622 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 156 3
- Dividend payment date 2,190 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 160 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 179 2
- One off meeting new client 1,427 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 308 6
- Child tax credits 232 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 190 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 303
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 220
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 197
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169