Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 538 7
- Travel expenses 424 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,452 142
- Reclaim vat on invoice 168 3
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,098 29
- Shadow director or alternative? 253 3
- Computerised Accountancy Software 278 1
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 493 13
- Bankruptcy 426 10
- P11d Van - no private use 434 12
- Expanding To UK From USA 147 2
- How do I account for trees?! 282 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 503 17
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 237 5
- Abbreviated Accounts 348 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 579 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 323 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 284 5
- Standard 'email' template system 351 5
- HMRC Enquiry re interest paid 467 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 990
- Employment related securities question 504
- Looking for a qualified accountant 328
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 309
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 276
- National Insurance 214
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 202
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 194
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 191
- Payments on account coded out?? 149