Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 263 4
- Director's tax return 346 8
- Comapny valuation qualifications 91 1
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 159 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,090 34
- Flat rate vat 184 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 177 5
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 76 1
- Coming in from the cold 339 3
- Splitting the tax year 164 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 201 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 170 4
- Submitting tax return 169 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 264 8
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 137 1
- Sage Payroll 318 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 212 6
- vat return 269 3
- Value pricing 740 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 257 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 306
- Free Tax Legislation? 275
- Director Loan account operation 257
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 248
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 170