Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- Audit 390 13
- PITA ex-client 89 6
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 287 4
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 49 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 814 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 61 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 227 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 318 8
- Scottish Independance 864 24
- Funding Circle experience 54 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 691 20
- Awkward IP 1,488 16
- New supplier 90 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 51 2
- Buying a horse?? 306 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 206 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,126 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 976 11
- What's in a name ? 1,153 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 225 2
- CTA study material 792
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 442
- Employment related securities question 315
- AIM Stocks and IHT 294
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 272
- Trust for Employee 251
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 214
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155