Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,061 41
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 67 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 87 2
- Cut-off accounting question 144 6
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 202 7
- statutory maternity pay 85 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 273 8
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 397 8
- Auto Enrolment 133 1
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 420 9
- Freelance/Employee 221 7
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,197 12
- Depreciation on purchase of software 282 4
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 208 1
- What would you do? 505 4
- Remove Extinguished Charge 214 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 615 19
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 304 8
- Liquidation caught by transactions in securities? 83 1
- Class of Shares 138 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 385
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 338
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 316
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 304
- Electric Car 256
- S222 Charge 223
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 203
- Company Structure 198
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 164