Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- White van man 233 9
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 20 1
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 135 3
- Backdate C79? 144 2
- Entertaining - definition? 276 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 334 10
- foreign income 101 1
- SA1 Online 58 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 79 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 86 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 334 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 87 1
- Capital allowances offset rule 115 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 116 4
- Worried over stock value 140 1
- Start of letting business when property owner took lodgers prior to letting out 118 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,296 22
- Mortgage extended on a rental property 118 1
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 201 5
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 169 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 818
- Copy Wanted 542
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 497
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 481
- Latest phishing scam 335
- Entrepreneurs' relief 310
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 279
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 274
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 272
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 178