Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- SAGE winforecast 224 1
- Trust 90 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 55 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 51 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 32 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 949 9
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 170 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 126 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 207 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 119 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 91 4
- Auto enrolment 1,557 15
- Annual Report - How to? 253 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 81 1
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 252 4
- Client's company struck off 2,031 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 119 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 125 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,121 17
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 147 6
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 525
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 459
- EPS and CIS deductions 324
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 306
- Construction CIS LLP Company 297
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 286
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 242
- Overdrawn director account 208
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 201
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 182