Client in Jail, Company insolvent and ceased trading. What do I do next?
I have a client who is in jail pending trial and will be going to jail for a long time. His business has ceased trading as a result and is also insolvent with an bank overdraft of £9,000. Accounts due are for the year ending 31st March 2012 along with self assessment and these are likely to result in significant corporation tax and personal tax liabilities.
The Company will not trade again and I have been asked to cease it permanently. There are no funds thus I will not be completing any works as I will not get paid however I have agreed to assist in terms of finding out what to do next in these circumstances just to help out the familly.
eg do the last accounts/self assessment have to be completed to crystallise the tax liability, does this all get handed over to the official receiver to deal with and if so how do I go about this etc etc etc.
At the moment I have simply alerted HMRC to the position and the client's familly have alerted the bank. Can anybody offer any advice in these circumstances?
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 808 18
- Tasks for new trainees 161 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 277 10
- VAT on garage rent 143 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 92 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 162 3
- Property scam victim 317 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 245 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 59 1
- Have i messed up? 751 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 424 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 58 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 114 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 74 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 77 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 571 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 107 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,652 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 266 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,819 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,095
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 577
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 384
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 290
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 190
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 161
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 155