Client never did a 2010/11 tax return
A client came to me after not paying any tax for 18+ months, a limited company contractor. He joined me after 31 Jan 12. His Ltd has a year end of June.
He took loads of money out since setting the company up (ignoring the CT bill and everything else). My plan was to date dividends to May 2011 so that they fell into the 11/12 tax year (money withdrawn being a DL up until that point). The problem then though is that there are effectively two years of dividends going through in 11/12 so a higher proportion of them fall into the 32.5%/25% threshold boosting his income tax bill.
What would happen if I was to phone up HMRC and say sorry client didn't realise he had to register as self employed, he was never asked to submit a 10/11 tax return but should have? Interest + late filing penalty + potentially not registering as self employed?
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 161 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,207 35
- Mortgage Reference 516 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 215 7
- Insovent companies 877 19
- New Build 179 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,293 48
- BrightPay quirks 190 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 799 20
- Website Content 142 1
- Personal Tax 621 12
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 127 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 171 1
- USA Tax Query 294 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 434 5
- last minute request 647 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 345 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 380 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,736 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 987 6