Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 38 1
- Community awards 2014 - first category 117 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 422 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 140 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 289 3
- Payment plans for clients 257 3
- CT600 245 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 305 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 75 1
- Lease 126 4
- Free invoicing software 490 4
- Digita Hosted Software 394 4
- signature required 868 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,308 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 174 5
- Thin Client recomendation 223 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 187 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 170 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 117 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 130 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,302
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 542
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 225
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 171
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 151
- Director's business mileage 145