Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- The importance of Grammar 1,676 52
- Freelance/Employee 330 8
- Xero Pain Points 620 19
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 63 1
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 187 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 239 12
- exemptions from CIS 207 4
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 168 4
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,638 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 379 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 277 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 586 23
- Cut-off accounting question 384 8
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 362 3
- Directors exempt from AE? 527 9
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 102 2
- VAT Reclaim 198 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 254 2
- Employment Allowance 207 2
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 225 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 348
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 332
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 313
- Electric Car 265
- S222 Charge 228
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 224
- Company Structure 204
- IP trans to holding company 168
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 162