Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Getting fees, getting harder? 974 25
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 259 8
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,117 36
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 35 1
- CIS Deductions 274 8
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 154 4
- sole trader to ltd company 120 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,099 33
- Spousal transfer and PPR 317 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 247 7
- Dual taxation - usa 186 2
- My house has fallen down 477 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 113 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 286 10
- Inheritance Tax Advice 120 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 127 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 572 8
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 290 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 208 2
- Property sale split between years 164 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 641
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 325
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 297
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 188