Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 143 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 186 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 88 1
- Invoice Help 223 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 147 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 227 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 218 3
- Sorry ignore me 891 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 569 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,939 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,251 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 798 20
- VAT & capitalising 85 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 339 5
- Free Shares ? 244 2
- Is this a scam? 564 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 297 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 152 1
- Peer to Peer lending 870 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165