Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 950 29
- You know its over 335 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 487 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 172 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 159 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 244 3
- Cocaine anyone? 509 8
- Late Registration for VAT 486 13
- EIS/SEIS 142 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 416 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 423 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 717 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 553 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 589 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 173 3
- Hive up 491
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 438
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 200
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175