Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Growing pains 349 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 226 14
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 538 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 38 1
- Consequential loss claim 103 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 182 5
- Vat threshold issues 59 1
- ATT Annual Return Problems 112 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 99 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 326 5
- private to company car? 169 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 945 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 576 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 132 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 213 1
- Partner with an IVA 162 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 580 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 413 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 301 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 230 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 455
- CTA study material 415
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 280
- Pre incorp expenses 271
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 240
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 232
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176