Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 167 9
- client threatening legal action 1,795 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 676 8
- Partially exempt? 239 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 87 1
- First VAT Visit for client 226 4
- Dividend in specie 226 7
- Lorry Drivers 136 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 96 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 96 1
- Mexican student in UK 116 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 195 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 298 12
- payroll software 128 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,052 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 109 1
- Pricing 333 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 250 5
- VAT 117 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 852 18
- Skandia using wrong address 488
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 273
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 226
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 217
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 160