Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 50 1
- Entrepeneurs relief 78 5
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 82 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,218 14
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 114 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 405 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,085 16
- Scottish Independance 606 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 93 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 238 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 411 6
- WC's and capital allowances 78 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 232 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 847 10
- carry back of gift aid 120 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 131 3
- Dress code 1,336 29
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 390 17
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 723 19
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 342 8
- CTA study material 752
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 466
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 354
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 242
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 142
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140