Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- I have missing sales invoices 321 5
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 163 1
- is my company accounts right? 615 16
- Invoice Help 336 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 196 8
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 329 5
- What are options for non CA firm 2,369 51
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 337 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 923 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,034 26
- Directors Subsistence 162 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 226 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 408 16
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 257 3
- Final year's accounts 327 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,905 27
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,477 20
- Free Shares ? 326 6
- Dividend dates 326 6
- Sxx rather than sxx 290 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 550
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 317
- Cancelled 313
- Cancelled 263
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 222
- Married woman dies owning marital home 214
- Probiz 202
- What's the market like for temps? 198
- CIS Deductions 160
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 155