Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,249 23
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 34 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 569 10
- Agent online self service 601 14
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 345 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 3,011 54
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 105 2
- Not renewing AAT 754 9
- What's the best software for this? 437 4
- Email encryption 1,424 15
- Next Move 783 21
- Zoho Books 194 1
- Self-assessment statistics 2,515 59
- Transmission of ISA 174 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 246 2
- CGT of shares gifted 398 6
- New dividend taxation 595 3
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 200 1
- Company car v company allowance 341 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 454 9
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 675
- Property letting & CAs 408
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 350
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Costly Accounting Software contract 246
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 222
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 211