Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- CGT on Inherited Property 246 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 76 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 282 15
- Value pricing 561 19
- Fee's for P11D's 257 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 374 1
- Childcare Vouchers 161 3
- Quarterly PAYE 162 6
- Audit Report Query 177 5
- Coming in from the cold 185 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,291 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 67 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 126 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 68 1
- Thats Better 269 6
- reporting salary? 134 2
- apprentices 92 1
- Sage Payroll 254 10
- VAT 145 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 228 7
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 764
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 194
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150