Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 421 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 60 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 135 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 205 5
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 672 7
- EBT 161 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 138 8
- deleting customers on Sage 50 117 5
- Giving a seminar 501 28
- Joint Filing Help 87 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 175 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 248 13
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,175 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 245 2
- Writing off bad debts 165 4
- Added years superannuation 44 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 98 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 343 7
- Care to help a student out? 278 9
- Residency 91 day rule 191 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,196
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 403
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 186
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 175
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 155
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 155