Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Sweet Tooth 23 1
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 155 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 144 2
- trading or dormant 71 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 46 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 984 11
- tax credits 94 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 490 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 163 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 550 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 248 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 98 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 184 3
- Foreign income for self employed 117 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 616 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 68 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 486 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 219 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 853
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 222
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 184
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154