Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- The stupidity continues 458 18
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 160 5
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 86 1
- transactions after account have been closed 102 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,318 25
- New Employers Helpline 184 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 175 3
- Software recommendations 244 1
- Share transfer question 360 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 297 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 159 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,409 19
- Overlap relief 751 19
- What is IRIS World like? 352 8
- Pension contributions 369 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 489 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 184 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 477 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 268 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 206 1
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 436
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 431
- WIP Software 294
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 287
- No payroll scheme in place 231
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 199
- Small Part Disposal of Property 182
- Uncommercial property business 176