Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Capital Gains Relief 181 6
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 87 3
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 665 26
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 199 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 228 6
- HMRC SA302s 39 1
- Amend tax return? 80 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 965 40
- Investment from Friend 197 10
- Receipt bank 358 8
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 66 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 497 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 171 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 351 4
- Company dividends 552 15
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 106 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,196 15
- TRONC scheme 112 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 723 13
- client can't/won't pay 1,621 29
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 882
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 584
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 546
- Latest phishing scam 481
- Entrepreneurs' relief 429
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 353
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 327
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 251
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 250
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 175