Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- first year company tax return for a limited company 124 5
- Real names 1,229 37
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 387 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 87 1
- Expenses Apps 147 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 159 4
- Quick Easy Quote 230 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,782 29
- Solicitor accounts 39 1
- Unallocated client money 223 7
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 175 2
- change of office address 109 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 216 3
- Incorporation Relief 114 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 90 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 353 4
- Furniture Rental Business 94 2
- Client Death 548 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 196 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 354 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 602
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 476
- Sorry ignore me 378
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 278
- Cancelled 241
- Cancelled 212
- Bartercard 172
- C79 Discrepancy 166
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 159