Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Legal title not in the company name 709 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,115 63
- One off meeting new client 1,610 15
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 187 3
- inheritance tax 292 10
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 494 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 161 3
- NALS Accountants Report 326 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,217 44
- Farm barn lettings 208 4
- Group Audit Thresholds 320 9
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 282 4
- Deduction from Salary 590 14
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 179 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 285 7
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 154 2
- Sole properietor 398 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,527 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 270 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 227 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 391
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 220
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196