Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Accrued salary unpaid 206 4
- Generic notification message 215 4
- Mortgage Adviser's request 294 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 757 37
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,122 18
- Basis periods 39 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 64 2
- CGT on spouse's death 276 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 465 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 67 2
- Starting Again 275 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 637 19
- CT101 Completion 134 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 149 2
- P11D Software 780 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 204 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 271 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 395 10
- Payroll software 191 4
- Company UTR numbers 309 6
- Construction CIS LLP Company 597
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 582
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 382
- Pensions Regulator 349
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 285
- Using the correct forms 263
- SA penalty proposals 252
- RTI - duplicate employee record 244
- Accelerated payment notices 230
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 216