Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 209 6
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 350 9
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 107 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 344 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 235 4
- Rental property company 114 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 328 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 264 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 387 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 165 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 204 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 151 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 507 5
- Director's tax return 402 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 189 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,142 34
- Flat rate vat 247 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 199 5
- Coming in from the cold 404 3
- Splitting the tax year 199 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 823
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 572
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 441
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 321
- Free Tax Legislation? 294
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 181