Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Sage Line 50 135 3
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,633 41
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 74 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 343 6
- Accountant Specialization. 294 4
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 359 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 130 1
- Freelance/Employee 673 17
- Recommendations for online payroll software 202 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 174 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 179 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 477 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 117 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 603 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 697 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 148 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 206 2
- Is it just me ... 325 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 307 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 133 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 289
- S222 Charge 238
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 194
- IP trans to holding company 189
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 173
- AIA 167
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 165