Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 936 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 81 2
- Accountants website 359 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 214 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 672 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 445 8
- VAT on employee loan 273 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 76 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 107 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 352 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,404 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 216 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 166 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 215 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 197 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 714 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 149 1
- Purchased Goodwill 150 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 91 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,080
- Moving away from CCH software 934
- QROP pension input amounts 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 371
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 343
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 310
- fraud 268
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 238
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 212
- Construction CIS LLP Company 190