Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 130 7
- Audit 426 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 365 8
- Tax on free shares 66 3
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 92 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 92 1
- Buying a horse?? 363 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 178 2
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 162 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 722 21
- PITA ex-client 187 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 231 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 344 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 316 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,656 19
- New supplier 126 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 821 22
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 244 13
- Scottish Independance 879 24
- Funding Circle experience 77 1
- CTA study material 798
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 490
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 450
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 217
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 157