Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,209 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 215 4
- Fastest Software 653 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 110 1
- Where did it go? 250 2
- cancellation of Engagement 142 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 88 1
- Feuding directors 252 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 104 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 494 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,901 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 237 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 102 1
- Benefit fraud 3,422 49
- SA Tax Returns 157 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 148 2
- Consolidated accounts 132 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 651
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 394
- Employment related securities question 247
- ATED Penalties 221
- AIM Stocks and IHT 200
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 171
- Trust for Employee 155
- Expat pension contributions? 150
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 135
- Capital allowances 123