Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 112 7
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 26 1
- Moneysoft payroll 198 12
- Need to register for SA? 119 3
- Supplier invoice addressed to a different company, how is this treated for VAT? 98 1
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 367 15
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 144 8
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 280 4
- business card address 711 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,850 399
- Time limit 209 4
- Course on trust taxation for qualified ACA? 284 5
- Declined for business bank account 994 11
- Benefits in Kind 175 5
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 431 7
- Payroll provider 452 6
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 648 12
- Letting relief 124 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,394 28
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 452 24
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,243
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 446
- National Insurance 346
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 331
- Non Resident 262
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 262
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 256
- Franchise income and costs 225
- Hands on experience of Digita 169
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 166