Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 64 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 163 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 306 7
- Capital gain? 80 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,246 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 268 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 348 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 415 8
- vat help for catering concession 276 10
- IHT dilemma 1,154 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 335 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 321 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 110 2
- Compliance check 513 13
- sole trader accountant 789 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 401 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 604 21
- More AE! 505 11
- How to classify an asset 165 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 779
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 463
- Digita Hosted Software 280
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 227
- Credit where credit's due....... 218
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 207
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 187
- Director phone costs 150