Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Check my logic on this please? 196 1
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 100 3
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 45 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 213 6
- Share swap 391 13
- Late P45 181 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 500 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 162 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 421 13
- CIC accounts submission 79 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 583 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 428 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 263 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,497 44
- What does it mean?? 472 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,104 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 237 4
- VAT & Landlords 217 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 111 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 171 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,563
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 236
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 205
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161