Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- How much does the company pay 471 17
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 13 1
- Consolidation Software 115 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 409 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 993 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,138 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 289 9
- VAT on Business Premises 43 1
- HMRC property income enquiry 260 6
- I have done a terrible thing 562 13
- LLp Profits 134 5
- two business from one premises 125 2
- AIA 238 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 332 20
- partnership tax return 152 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 180 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 103 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 302 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,178 27
- s455 tax 145 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 501
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 316
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 266
- WWOOFers 255
- The booking.com con 234
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 233
- Cocaine anyone? 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 213
- UK State pension paid in NZ 174