Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 657 5
- See you all on the other side 701 6
- 12Pay 467 2
- dividends 633 2
- R&D 330 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,193 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 443 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 422 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 379 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 551 5
- Seeking a tax case 647 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 510 4
- Companies house strike off 568 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 438 2
- Moving to the cloud 754 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 218 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 910 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 219 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 509 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 307
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 307
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 295
- Class 2 NI 284