Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Regular Director bonus 79 2
- FreeAgent question 192 4
- AAT or ATT 300 3
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 244 5
- Goodie bag 1,958 60
- Practising options 373 4
- Accts software 279 3
- CIS monthly returns 272 6
- Corporation Tax Software 189 4
- Games Tax Relief 114 2
- Payroll year end - P11d and optional declarations 93 1
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 335 9
- Fair Value Accounting 155 3
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 251 4
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 257 6
- Formating cells in Excel 775 7
- Apostille documents 192 4
- Do sole traders qualify for tax relief at source on pension contributions? 242 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,507 88
- Husband Wife let property 403 11
- Possible Partnership? 657
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 526
- New Fangled Penalties 456
- Fuming! 411
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 322
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 264
- Outsource Data Entry 246
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 241
- Moving away from CCH software 236
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 181