Client works in France, family lives in UK
We have a new client with a somewhat 'unusual' situation...
Considered UK tax resident and payer between 2001-2007. He was non-UK domiciled (Italian), but this did not have any consideration to his income at the time.
2007-2011 full time resident and tax payer in France. His work in France is on a French contract, full time employed for a French based company.
His wife and son returned to UK during 2012, while he conitnues to work for the same company under the same contract, and commutes between Paris and London every week / every 2nd week for one or two weeks at a time.
He owns (mortgaged) property in UK (where the family are now living) and in Paris (which he occupies when working from Paris).
His commute schedule is such that he has the option of choosing in which part of the 180-day rule he should spend in France and the other in UK.
He has asked if he should remain French tax payer or opt to change to UK tax system. Does anyone have any advise or comments on the best way to do this?
This would mean he would still continue to pay the Social Security tax in France, so it should just be question of the personal tax implications.
- Would this save hours of your time? 638 12
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 848 35
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 57 1
- Audit Required 1,165 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 288 9
- Residential Management Companies 59 2
- Value pricing 2,837 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 382 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 369 11
- Payroll software for Mac 113 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 94 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 209 5
- CIS and Close Company 195 6
- LLP members share of profits 630 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 422 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 134 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 94 1
- Registered Office 96 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 108 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 291 7
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 935
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 388
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 253
- Paye procedures for CVA 244
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 241
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 189
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 183
- Pension Fixed Protection 181