Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- monthly payments 18 1
- Fixed Assets 290 6
- Tick & Bash Bristol 343 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 242 12
- Client Death 215 2
- Coding notices post P11d 1,848 12
- Tax position re this lease? 190 3
- Normal trading company or property management company for CT600? 142 1
- What are options for non CA firm 1,688 26
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 576 24
- Real names 1,178 35
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 91 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 157 2
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 264 8
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 192 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,947 35
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 226 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,391 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 720 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 254 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 585
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 355
- IFA incorporation 340
- Sorry ignore me 329
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 282
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 277
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 265
- Cancelled 209
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 179