Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 772 21
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,075 103
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 79 3
- VAT flat rate scheme 215 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 318 4
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 45 3
- Company name change and Final Accounts - Can the Accounts be under new company name? 56 2
- Client's company struck off 100 2
- Error or mistake in CT return 160 1
- Anyone had this problem?? 268 5
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 329 4
- Out of time or not? 271 1
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 284 4
- Statement of Accounts 156 5
- Closing my business down 515 21
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 207 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 160 2
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 141 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 224 7
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 246 3
- QROP pension input amounts 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 395
- fraud 317
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 295
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 252
- Construction CIS LLP Company 235
- EPS and CIS deductions 232
- First Choice Final Accounts 186
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 173