Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 89 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 228 1
- will this work for IHT 250 2
- Best software for small practice? 633 20
- Paid too much !! 251 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,744 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 255 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 204 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 483 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 119 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 97 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 99 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 476 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 749 11
- Sports Sponsorship 150 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 267 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 213 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 253 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,328 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,274 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 767
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 275
- DTA tie-breaker issue 262
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 247
- CGT for NOn UK residents 222
- Apprenticeship Levy 202
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181
- Just checking re PSA 175