Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 91 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,483 42
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 178 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 163 3
- Special dividends & CGT 271 2
- flat rate scheme 628 17
- Attachment of Orders 99 1
- Sage instant account codes 259 2
- Allocation of income from property 240 7
- Protocol to be followed for professional clearance 163 2
- Turnover on a tax return 702 13
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 210 4
- UK tax exposure 389 7
- Companies House Presenter Account 172 3
- regulated mortgage work? 226 3
- Employer Making Employee Calculate own Holiday Pay 182 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 288 8
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,296 11
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 563 8
- Directors salary 182 1