Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 53 3
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 33 1
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 70 2
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 433 14
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 372 16
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 410 13
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 196 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 286 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 186 1
- tax insider 305 4
- Auto-Enrolment 209 3
- Annual subs 170 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 156 2
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 191 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 164 1
- ICAEW professional subscription and tax implications 234 4
- CGT Relief on Share Sale in LTD company 335 5
- Problems filing paper copies of accounts / computations with HMRC 502 9
- Payroll Manager not reoprting properly 331 7
- Directors remuneration declared after year end PAYE/NIC 611 25
- Skandia using wrong address 1,410
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 724
- Any views 660
- HMRC Employers Diary 493
- International interest certificate 410
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 367
- Sale of business 315
- NOVA 224
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 221
- Advertising services? 218