Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Donations (to a school!) 26 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 49 3
- Beaters and allowable exenses 78 2
- Family loan 217 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 126 5
- Standard 'email' template system 608 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 664 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,690 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 465 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 24 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 168 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 294 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 226 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 187 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,651 39
- Consolidation of new group 73 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 251 3
- Recycle old study books 450 11
- Being Tax relevant 432 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,079
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 351
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158