Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Residents Association Corp Tax 165 5
- Consequential loss claim 85 2
- Vat threshold issues 23 1
- ATT Annual Return Problems 100 2
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 499 10
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 93 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 318 5
- private to company car? 156 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 931 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 569 10
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 212 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 118 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 180 1
- Partner with an IVA 155 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 564 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 406 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 273 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 220 6
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 347 13
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 141 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 453
- CTA study material 414
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 278
- Pre incorp expenses 269
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 240
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 231
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176