Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 485 17
- MAAT vs ACCA 210 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,334 67
- Accountancy Career 223 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 66 1
- Managing Employee Expenses 24 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 72 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,987 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 46 1
- Small company audit 623 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 476 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 561 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 688 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 242 3
- West Bromich Albion 413 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 118 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 99 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 221 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 115 4
- inheritance tax 510 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 652
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 421
- Cancelled 413
- How not to compose an email 378
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 354
- Probiz 321
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209