Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 116 3
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 136 7
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 39 1
- UK resident receiving USA pension 16 1
- signature required 313 12
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 443 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 743 13
- More AE! 742 17
- Web sites 205 3
- Homing sandwiches 281 7
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 580 13
- Dispensation 156 3
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 487 14
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 94 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 296 3
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 256 3
- Capitalising purchased software 120 2
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 280 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 570 17
- how to object to registered company name... 358 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,225
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 809
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 508
- Digita Hosted Software 330
- Credit where credit's due....... 303
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 182
- TheTax Donut 170
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 149