Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 67 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 254 8
- recompense capital input 193 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 105 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 99 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 164 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 768 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,277 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 148 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 231 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 215 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 259 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185