Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,322 17
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 124 3
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 248 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 291 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 142 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 147 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 187 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,253 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 132 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 117 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 388 7
- Wear and tear allowance 451 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 199 6
- Residency test 200 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 246 3
- VAT Turnover 143 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 147 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 136 4
- Company purchase of shares 292 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 144 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 668
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 367
- Social investment tax relief 184
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 177
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 133