Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 294 15
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 32 1
- Money laundering POCA 169 4
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 32 1
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 56 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,947 157
- Pricing 109 2
- P11d mistake 83 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 166 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 450 1
- CLG exempt under s60 121 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 136 4
- Alternative to CIS 405 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 350 4
- Supplier 1,254 13
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 141 2
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 954 22
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,009 7
- Mutual trading organisation 126 2
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 520 9
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 498
- Skandia using wrong address 441
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 239
- Employee rewards 231
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 183
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 149