Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Professional Qualification 306 3
- Jointly owned property 85 2
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 379 6
- VAT margin scheme 167 12
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 709 34
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 187 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 284 5
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 350 6
- Risk Indicators Survey 134 1
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 83 1
- Unpaid Fee's 622 10
- cold file reviewer needed 335 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 932 17
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 320 1
- Late Filing SA due to property income, individual was also a non dom for 15 years 197 11
- Auto-enrolment drivel 797 13
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 239 3
- Company Dividends Received 175 2
- Is Corp tax payable on legacy received by bowls Club? 158 1
- Client information from previous accountant 493 8
- Possible Partnership? 531
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 525
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 472
- New Fangled Penalties 329
- Clubs and Taxable Income 272
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 263
- Loans to other companies 207
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 189
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 163
- Outsource Data Entry 158