Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,027 32
- valuation of vehicles 473 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 260 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 94 1
- Voluntary Disclosure 336 6
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 369 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 444 4
- BTC is slow 287 3
- Director registration for SA question 514 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 435 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 512 22
- Business only use of company car 719 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 522 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 347 4
- New Company reviews please 578 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 341 4
- VAT with Russia 265 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 240 4
- Money Laundering Manual 318 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 264 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 311
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 255
- Any thoughts on Capium? 250
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 247
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 225
- auto enrolment 199
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 185
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 164
- How to account for investment in JV? 163
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 151