Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 200 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 135 7
- Buying a horse?? 134 6
- Audit 292 8
- Awkward IP 1,360 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 774 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 475 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 618 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 761 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,011 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,111 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 132 1
- carry back of gift aid 190 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 306 8
- What's in a name ? 1,064 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 927 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 249 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 568 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 251 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 424 6
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 266
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 209
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154