Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 371 7
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 21 1
- How much of your work is admin? 32 1
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,844 16
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,767 19
- Goodwill complications 106 2
- Personal pension 190 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 108 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 278 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 227 6
- Late Registration for VAT 107 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 985 25
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 960 26
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,141 12
- property development 262 8
- Registering a company late 179 5
- Business rates consultancy 115 2
- sale of house 631 18
- Corporation tax penalty 1,515 9
- Part Disposal of Freehold 323 13
- TheTax Donut 996
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 656
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 612
- Follower cases 475
- Hive up 400
- Limited company purchase of property 399
- corporate hierarchy 372
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 368
- LIVE chat, starting now 305
- AIA or IFA 202