Clients - don't you just love them!
Just had a call from a client. He asked what I was referring to when I spoke with his wife earlier in the day about the monthly CIS returns. "I don't do anything monthly" he says, but I pay the tax once a quarter...
Heart failure at this end of the phone. He has been a client for 10 years. So I explained what the monthly return was, and how I thought he had been posting them off every month since they were introduced was it 4 years ago - total blank - "no, I haven't done anything like that..."
So we arrange a meeting for tomorrow to work out what to do next - winding up the company may be top of the agenda if there are 4 years of penalties to face. I can't understand how he has never received a penalty notice when I have been declaring the total cis tax on each of the last few years' P35s. All a total mystery.
Then half an hour later, he rings me back - "Oh you mean the MONTHLY returns that I send off on the 5th of each month." - well, yes, that is what I had been trying to explain - "Of course I do those. I didn't realise that is what you meant". Just wondering how many monthly returns he does and which one he thought I was referring to...
So everyone is happy again and off we go.
It's lucky he is a really nice client! But he is a builder and not an accountant....
- Ltd company or sole trader 498 12
- Self assessment tax arrears 431 4
- overdrawn directors loan 98 4
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 29 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 279 7
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 144 2
- Fee protection 647 12
- Rights of Alphabet shares 250 8
- Excel formula 491 10
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 818 34
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 110 2
- Disposal of an opted property 64 1
- Forfeited despoit for property - allowable loss? 98 2
- New charity 102 1
- Self assesment losses 109 2
- Repairs or Improvement? 196 4
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 153 3
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 361 1
- Partnership UTRs 129 4
- Transfer of shares 476 17
- Xtuple 558
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 329
- Industrial & Provident Societies 318
- CIS schemes 238
- Domain name sale and limited company 213
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 195
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 194
- Investment 194
- Tax on damages received 156