Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 422 6
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 843 12
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 159 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 88 3
- Client right to working papers 1,521 11
- vat gross margins 180 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 162 4
- e mail 106 1
- Auto enrolment 571 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,347 6
- VAT on new build property 142 2
- Auto enrolment 293 9
- SAGE 50 2011 129 1
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 182 3
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,625 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,859 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 190 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 894 18
- 1st year reporting under FRS 102 - Property revaluation 256 5
- IFA giving dodgy advice? 398 9
- NHS finance professionals 667
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 410
- Foreign Pension Contribution 375
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 356
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 348
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 309
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 273
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 234
- IFA income recognition & reporting 211