Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 95 3
- Theatre as charitable company 16 1
- Real names 431 17
- Who owns the data 163 2
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 101 5
- Peer to Peer lending 94 5
- Loan interest rental property 170 5
- What's the plural? 641 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 85 1
- Well well well 219 2
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 110 4
- Capital Gains Tax 88 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 142 1
- Dividend payment date 1,842 32
- Use of aliases 699 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 145 1
- Accounting Crew 893 20
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 307 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 491 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,393 17
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 568
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 429
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 330
- IFA incorporation 305
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 294
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 283
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 234
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 224
- Sorry ignore me 216