Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Swiching tax 447 13
- Accrued salary unpaid 209 4
- Generic notification message 218 4
- Mortgage Adviser's request 297 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 757 37
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,125 18
- Basis periods 41 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 65 2
- CGT on spouse's death 278 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 466 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 67 2
- Starting Again 276 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 638 19
- CT101 Completion 135 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 149 2
- P11D Software 780 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 205 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 272 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 396 10
- Payroll software 191 4
- Construction CIS LLP Company 597
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 582
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 382
- Pensions Regulator 349
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 285
- Using the correct forms 263
- SA penalty proposals 252
- RTI - duplicate employee record 244
- Accelerated payment notices 230
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 217