Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 8 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 634 41
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 37 1
- Audit rules 63 1
- Bringing money to Uk 146 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,197 37
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 509 10
- Hotel accommodation tax deductible? 259 3
- VAT Inspection 160 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 282 8
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 343 23
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 137 4
- Faxpay in the 21st century 91 4
- Accounting for investment club gains 75 1
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 713 7
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 169 5
- Is it just me 313 7
- LLP classification of division of profit 186 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 501 9
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 142 5
- Xtuple 486
- Qtac payroll for bureau 326
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 266
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 210
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 163
- Domain name sale and limited company 147
- South African Government Pension 144
- CIS schemes 139