Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- First VAT Visit for client 193 4
- Dividend in specie 218 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 147 8
- Partially exempt? 227 8
- Lorry Drivers 124 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 32 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 71 1
- Mexican student in UK 109 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 185 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 283 12
- payroll software 87 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,040 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 84 1
- Pricing 325 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 239 5
- VAT 112 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 846 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 639 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 208 3
- Vat 105 2
- Skandia using wrong address 476
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 274
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 267
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 217
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 201
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 157