Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 357 10
- Limited Company 165 5
- Selling a practice 244 3
- How much to charge 144 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 199 4
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 426 8
- Accounting Software 317 4
- VAT: Passing on Import Duty 63 1
- Share issue 181 10
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,088 14
- PSA Agreements 368 6
- VAT reverse charges 272 3
- Mobile phone and P11D 181 3
- Benefits to having a partner as director and shareholder, even though not acting as one or taking dividends!? 793 19
- Dividend in Specie on demerger 149 2
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 256 6
- P11D Rejection 346 8
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 634 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 330 5
- Late filing penalties refunded 397 5
- Theatre Tax Relief 430
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 336
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 316
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 300
- Perkbox 254
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 234
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 233
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 214
- Document Management Systems 202
- WIP Software 188