Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 76 4
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,153 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,958 337
- property rental income split 210 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 239 11
- Payments on account coded out?? 274 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 297 9
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 226 7
- Mortgage deposit Gift 377 17
- What should I do for 'free' 550 6
- Declined for business bank account 477 7
- Negativer Payslip Request 223 3
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 663 14
- Family loan 1,167 16
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 144 5
- FIFA game and making money 1,232 12
- Use of home for storage 259 5
- App recommended by HMRC for record keeping 1,224 11
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 241 10
- Amending Share Capital 181 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,173
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 396
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 309
- National Insurance 303
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 256
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 230
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 225
- Non Resident 209
- Franchise income and costs 195
- Hands on experience of Digita 138