Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 290 10
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 99 2
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 199 6
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,226 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 157 3
- client can't/won't pay 413 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 167 6
- AIA 163 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 247 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 257 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,180 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 257 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 197 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 554 26
- HMRC SA software error? 159 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 170 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 267 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 209 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 182 2
- wave software 141 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 787
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 457
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 289
- Entrepreneurs' relief 276
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 270
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 251
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 237