Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 153 1
- Shareholder agreement 183 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 82 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,471 21
- Accountants' Error 743 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 164 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 160 3
- Scoot 199 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 163 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 220 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 667 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 117 1
- Regaining my qualification 231 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 250 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 264 2
- Auto enrolment 206 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 201 3
- Company Reorganisation 172 3
- Employee Loan 222 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 471 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,459
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 776
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- Advertising services? 262
- NOVA 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 253