Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 504 12
- Classic cars investment 345 10
- Failure to operate PAYE 957 25
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 171 3
- break even point 676 20
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 848 22
- Asset holding company 268 6
- How much to charge? 451 7
- National Insurance Contributions 118 1
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 317 6
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 235 3
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 276 1
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 3,017 36
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 759 8
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 233 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 447 13
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 659 9
- HMRC - Sage Backup 257 5
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,182 29
- BrightPay 752 23
- Possible Partnership? 480
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 452
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 446
- New Fangled Penalties 259
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 245
- Clubs and Taxable Income 234
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 230
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 220
- Loans to other companies 179
- Tasbook email configuration 167