Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- R&D tax credit claim 185 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,313 27
- PITA client 74 2
- CIS Deductions 257 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 41 1
- is this fraud? 738 13
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,258 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 466 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,467 28
- Dividend dates 448 7
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 194 5
- Not a good start no broadband 464 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 157 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 708 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 206 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 81 1
- Intrastat triangulation 66 1
- CGT 149 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 192 4
- Question regarding gym training 384 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 589
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 236
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 176
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 168
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150