Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,733 21
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 543 11
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 370 5
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 200 3
- Incorporation of gp practise 128 1
- Love is in the air 386 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 247 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,000 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 284 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 530 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 554 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 303 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 326 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 372 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 425 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 428 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 260 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 523 1
- Paying Son 681 18
- HMRC accounting 413 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 280
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 273
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 212
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 190