Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Personal pension 258 5
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 108 2
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 34 1
- Registering a company late 306 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,058 27
- Director taking salary, dividends and consultancy fees? 186 1
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 120 6
- Deferred Tax 257 5
- Late Registration for VAT 210 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,272 17
- How much of your work is admin? 381 2
- Legal fees selling rental property 195 3
- physiotherapy clinic 607 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 216 2
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 327 8
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,828 23
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 295 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,992 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 125 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 125 1
- TheTax Donut 1,016
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 681
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 624
- Follower cases 489
- Limited company purchase of property 419
- Hive up 417
- corporate hierarchy 383
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 380
- LIVE chat, starting now 331
- AIA or IFA 216