Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- BTC is slow 264 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 215 2
- Director registration for SA question 461 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 188 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 344 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 503 22
- valuation of vehicles 405 16
- Business only use of company car 694 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 509 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 322 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 962 29
- New Company reviews please 550 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 316 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 273 2
- VAT with Russia 235 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 250 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,123 29
- directors loan 373 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 302
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 240
- Any thoughts on Capium? 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 219
- auto enrolment 189
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 158
- How to account for investment in JV? 152
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148