Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 238 6
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 197 7
- Dispensation pointless ? 357 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 474 8
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 117 5
- r&d payable tax credits 28 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 351 3
- CIS gross status review 158 2
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 114 2
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 191 4
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 103 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,120 26
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 353 10
- Claiming pension relief 58 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 280 8
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 210 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 205 7
- Write off of former director's loan 392 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 254 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 220 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 778
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 493
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 305
- How to format a stock book 269
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 222
- Tax efficient holding company structure 211
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 203
- Investment property company accounts template 195
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 167