Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 208 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 731 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 100 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 387 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 304 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 96 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 219 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 131 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 236 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 130 4
- SA302's anyone?? 503 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,598 41
- Renting for military reasons 149 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,531 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,037 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 110 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 128 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 510 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,987 30
- Tax status of prizes 323 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 282
- Management expenses for investment company 259
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 165
- P11D benefit received by widow 147