Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,213 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 215 4
- Fastest Software 654 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 110 1
- Where did it go? 250 2
- cancellation of Engagement 142 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 88 1
- Feuding directors 252 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 104 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 495 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,901 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 237 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 103 1
- Benefit fraud 3,422 49
- SA Tax Returns 157 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 150 2
- Consolidated accounts 133 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 651
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 394
- Employment related securities question 247
- ATED Penalties 221
- AIM Stocks and IHT 201
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 171
- Trust for Employee 155
- Expat pension contributions? 150
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 135
- Capital allowances 123