Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 69 2
- Moving to the cloud 613 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 147 2
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 70 1
- Companies house strike off 49 1
- How much to charge for payroll? 729 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 155 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 125 4
- BTC vs Digita 977 29
- Seeking a tax case 260 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 290 4
- See you all on the other side 239 5
- VATABLE Income 288 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 231 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 269 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 492 6
- P11D software 103 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 533 9
- VAT - business splitting 236 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 522
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 352
- IRIS and FRS 102 325
- Capitalising Finance Lease 292
- USA help 283
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 246
- Capital gains on rental property 228
- Sage Coretime 215
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 209