Closing down a Limited Company and start trading under a new company.
I suspect this question will open up a hornets nest of contention, with regards to ethics but here we go anyway!
My client is a small limited company (t/over under £150k) and VAT registered in the construction industry. He was taken to court by a prior customer and lost the case owing £3k in damages and legal fees. His financial year has just ended (october) and he has just filed a VAT return (unpaid due Dec). His only creditor is the bank to whom he owes £15,000 on his overdraft. He has approached me to ask whether he would be able to dissolve the company and write off the debts (including the corporation tax due for the year ended and the VAT). He would then look to start up a new limited company and commence trading as before with the slate wiped clean.
Before anyone says it, this is a hardworking chap who doesn't own his own property (only business assets are his work van) and lives a very modest lifestyle. His business has taken a beating in the last couple of years from competitors who massively underquote for work and go bankrupt halfway through. He is not trying to dodge paying his dues (he has always paid corporation tax and VAT for his business and personal tax where applicable), he simply cannot pay his debts.
Please could someone advise whether it would be feasible for him to take this course of action and any potential issues that may arise, with regards to starting up a new limited company. None of the company debts are secured against his personal assets (frankly he has none apart from a modest car).
Thanks in Advance.
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 36 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 126 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 172 3
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,294 16
- App recommendations 318 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- Taxable income for previous years 338 7
- accountant in Bristol 497 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 756 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,129 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 700 9
- Resident and Non-resident 759 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 157 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 409 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 133 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 395 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- Filing RTI returns from abroad 176 5
- Can company pay into private pension and claim CT relief? 447 8
- Let Property Campaign 139 1
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 354
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 276
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 191
- S222 Charge 183
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 169