Closing PAYE Schemes
Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?
Company directors pay themselves a salary of £624.00 per month by standing order. The amount puts them just below the point at which their company has to pay Class 1 employers contributions. There must be tens of thousands of such cases.
No payments are due to HMRC and we do a P60/P35 each year.
This is not a question about RTI.
We have been receiving letters from HMRC saying that there is no indication that we are operating PAYE and therefore they are going to close the scheme.
Further enquiry shows that they send this letter if no money is being received by Accounts office.
But we ARE operating PAYE, it’s just there are no deductions.
We have an annual payments flag set by Accounts office. Had this flag not been set, we would have been receiving reminders for payments.
The lady at HMRC this morning said that annual payment schemes are rare these days. Why is this?
Of course, when you phone, they have their stock answers and do not understand how things work in practice. No-one at HMRC seems able or willing to flag up the fact that potentially something is going wrong which is so frustrating.
I've had 11 of these this week.
Has anyone else experienced this and how have you deal with it?
Or is it me!
- Tax implication on superannuation 174 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,527 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 42 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 183 3
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 268 5
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 211 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 800 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 69 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,291 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 906 37
- Second Limited Company 93 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 487 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 286 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 480 20
- trading losses allowable? 756 14
- Post AAT? 674 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 129 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,639 37