Closing PAYE Schemes
Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?
Company directors pay themselves a salary of £624.00 per month by standing order. The amount puts them just below the point at which their company has to pay Class 1 employers contributions. There must be tens of thousands of such cases.
No payments are due to HMRC and we do a P60/P35 each year.
This is not a question about RTI.
We have been receiving letters from HMRC saying that there is no indication that we are operating PAYE and therefore they are going to close the scheme.
Further enquiry shows that they send this letter if no money is being received by Accounts office.
But we ARE operating PAYE, it’s just there are no deductions.
We have an annual payments flag set by Accounts office. Had this flag not been set, we would have been receiving reminders for payments.
The lady at HMRC this morning said that annual payment schemes are rare these days. Why is this?
Of course, when you phone, they have their stock answers and do not understand how things work in practice. No-one at HMRC seems able or willing to flag up the fact that potentially something is going wrong which is so frustrating.
I've had 11 of these this week.
Has anyone else experienced this and how have you deal with it?
Or is it me!
- Overlap relief 737 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 61 1
- What is IRIS World like? 327 8
- Pension contributions 343 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 95 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,340 18
- The stupidity continues 199 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 115 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 458 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 147 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 444 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 257 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 248 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 197 1
- Share transfer question 321 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 549 10
- New Employers Helpline 150 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 214 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 203 4
- VAT Query 209 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 426
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- No payroll scheme in place 222
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 222
- Software recommendations 207
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 201
- Is there anything wrong with this? 194
- Small Part Disposal of Property 175