Closing PAYE Schemes
Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?
Company directors pay themselves a salary of £624.00 per month by standing order. The amount puts them just below the point at which their company has to pay Class 1 employers contributions. There must be tens of thousands of such cases.
No payments are due to HMRC and we do a P60/P35 each year.
This is not a question about RTI.
We have been receiving letters from HMRC saying that there is no indication that we are operating PAYE and therefore they are going to close the scheme.
Further enquiry shows that they send this letter if no money is being received by Accounts office.
But we ARE operating PAYE, it’s just there are no deductions.
We have an annual payments flag set by Accounts office. Had this flag not been set, we would have been receiving reminders for payments.
The lady at HMRC this morning said that annual payment schemes are rare these days. Why is this?
Of course, when you phone, they have their stock answers and do not understand how things work in practice. No-one at HMRC seems able or willing to flag up the fact that potentially something is going wrong which is so frustrating.
I've had 11 of these this week.
Has anyone else experienced this and how have you deal with it?
Or is it me!
- New business - journal entries 62 4
- Resident Landlord Expenses 127 2
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 240 7
- Using CT600.pdf if all the directors are different 48 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 24 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,432 40
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 146 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 268 16
- Lettings expenses 37 1
- IFA incorporation problems 168 3
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 56 2
- Director's loan account in credit 180 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 669 23
- Excel Help - Check box and hiding cells 301 3
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,372 17
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 313 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 153 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 153 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 223 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,274 42
- Auto enrolment excuses 721
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 695
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 373
- Social investment tax relief 190
- Digita Hosted Software 184
- Call Centre Data Costs 182
- option to tax 166
- VAT on deposits 155
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 141
- Travel costs and contractors 136