Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Time to ditch Sage? 226 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 360 12
- HMRC Post 516 7
- Transactions with directors 428 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 277 9
- Non VAT invoices 191 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 189 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Fees 234 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 252 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 220 2
- Form 17 Download 148 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 557 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 379 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 389 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,774 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 200 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178