Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 162 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 198 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,229 35
- Mortgage Reference 547 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 252 7
- Insovent companies 885 19
- New Build 212 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,297 48
- BrightPay quirks 226 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 806 20
- Website Content 181 1
- Personal Tax 630 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 197 1
- USA Tax Query 313 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 441 5
- last minute request 656 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 367 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 401 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,742 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6