Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Why should I retain membership? 2,656 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 164 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 319 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 120 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,250 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 383 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,453 18
- Vat 240 4
- CT/CIS offset 111 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 163 4
- Trade name 164 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 128 1
- New business - journal entries 308 20
- B2B vat in the EU 104 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 308 18
- VAT on deposits 202 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 124 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 401 12
- option to tax 202 1
- Share of profits from building society 98 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 776
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 705
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 384
- Social investment tax relief 203
- Digita Hosted Software 198
- Call Centre Data Costs 191
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 156
- Travel costs and contractors 149
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 142
- Certificates of tax deposit 135