Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 356 11
- Real names 850 29
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 206 4
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 153 1
- Theatre as charitable company 106 2
- Fixed Assets 124 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 242 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 140 2
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 149 1
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 348 12
- Dividend payment date 2,018 36
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 517 14
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 96 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 234 7
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 355 1
- Capital Gains Tax 230 6
- Well well well 508 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 192 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 185 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 266 5
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 572
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 440
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 344
- IFA incorporation 327
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 306
- Sorry ignore me 267
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 262
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 249
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 249
- Cancelled 186