Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- accounting for this transaction 367 4
- Sage payroll alternatives 471 10
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 205 3
- Capital gain? 204 5
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,429 26
- CGT 349 15
- Entrepreneurs Relief 419 16
- Substantial shareholding exemption and foreign subsidiaries 35 1
- international employer please help!! 118 3
- CGT 187 3
- Gift Aid 211 5
- do i have to register new ltd practice as tax agent? 221 3
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 238 2
- Compliance check 583 16
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 127 3
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 381 5
- Tax Avoidance 238 1
- When to include value of import in Box 7 95 2
- sole trader accountant 903 15
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 467 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,099
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 784
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 470
- Digita Hosted Software 284
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 236
- Credit where credit's due....... 230
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 214
- Director phone costs 162
- RTI overpayments gap 158