Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Error on SA Tax Return 101 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,159 46
- dividend 135 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 99 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 249 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 158 3
- Irish Taxation 135 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 301 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 509 6
- Drector renting room to company 86 1
- Off site storage 146 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 596 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 244 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 348 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 234 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 325 4
- Self assesment losses 319 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 172 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 180 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 118 2
- Xtuple 563
- Qtac payroll for bureau 385
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 341
- Domain name sale and limited company 232
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 207
- Investment 204
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 179
- Tax on damages received 179
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 146