Club being given property
I am a treasurer of a club in the UK. The members of this club all own apartments in a complex abroad. We do have a constitution and rules but this matter is not covered.
Due to severe financial problems, one of our members can no longer afford to pay fees that the club use to pay for repairs, legal fees, security etc, and just wants to walk away without fear of future liablilty. He has offered his deeds to his property in exchange for clearing his debts.
Is this legal?
Can the UK based voluntary club take control of his property?
Who will actually own the property ie will it have to be held in trust for members and what if other members also fail to pay and then ultimately leave the club?
Thank you in advance
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 51 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 383 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,760 71
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 159 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 665 11
- Which software for practice books? 530 20
- Related Parties Note 634 10
- Dazed & confused 351 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 110 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 139 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 310 7
- trading or dormant 241 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 187 6
- Payroll Liabilities 103 2
- SAGE con 300 6
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 136 4
- Charity reserves 249 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 143 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,676 18
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 333 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,047
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 564
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 371
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 280
- Charge out rates in London? 222
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 217
- Personal consumption by landlord 191
- Interest on Loan to a Company 178
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 155
- Agent fees to sell business 149