Company car leases in Director's name
... Instead it insisted that they should be in the director's sole name. There are two contracts one for a car used by an employee (not connected to the director- except for being an employee) and one used by the Director's wife who is also employed by the company. P11Ds etc have always been prepared and the relevant tax and class1A NIC paid. 50% only of VAT was recovered.
Now we have a problem: the invoices will be in the director's name so the company won't be able to recover a proportion of the VAT
if the company reimbursed the director for the lease rental payments, will this be a BIK for him? If so, do we still have a BIK (car benefit) for his wife and employee?
This would seem grossly unfair as the car would be taxed twice.
If we can demonstrate to HMRC that the invoice is only in the director's name because the leasing company refused to put the contracts in company's name will they accept this as a payment by individual on behalf of company? Could this be covered under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 or by a dispensation? P11D would continue to be prepared for wife and employee to declare the car benefit as before and Company would claim corporation tax relief on lease rental payments. I don't know what CO2 g/km the cars are but obviously the deduction will be restricted if this was in excess of 160g/km
I believe the VAT input claim is a lost cause as invoice is in his personal name and not the company.
I should be grateful for any advice from anyone who has come accross this. Apparently all leasing companies are tightening up on car rentals to companies.
Thank you for any feed back.
- Am i Liable? 162 6
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 101 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 205 10
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 89 1
- Added years superannuation 73 2
- Giving a seminar 539 30
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 202 1
- JIEB Exams 140 1
- RTI 104 1
- Christmas party 122 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 751 10
- Checking a contract 300 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 313 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 239 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 163 7
- VAT on garage rent 329 14
- Value-shifting 86 1
- Pattern for CTA 212 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 458 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 85 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,221
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 609
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 410
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 316
- Alphabet shares 192
- Agent fees to sell business 190
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 183
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 181
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 167
- Office recharges 150