Company car leases in Director's name
... Instead it insisted that they should be in the director's sole name. There are two contracts one for a car used by an employee (not connected to the director- except for being an employee) and one used by the Director's wife who is also employed by the company. P11Ds etc have always been prepared and the relevant tax and class1A NIC paid. 50% only of VAT was recovered.
Now we have a problem: the invoices will be in the director's name so the company won't be able to recover a proportion of the VAT
if the company reimbursed the director for the lease rental payments, will this be a BIK for him? If so, do we still have a BIK (car benefit) for his wife and employee?
This would seem grossly unfair as the car would be taxed twice.
If we can demonstrate to HMRC that the invoice is only in the director's name because the leasing company refused to put the contracts in company's name will they accept this as a payment by individual on behalf of company? Could this be covered under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 or by a dispensation? P11D would continue to be prepared for wife and employee to declare the car benefit as before and Company would claim corporation tax relief on lease rental payments. I don't know what CO2 g/km the cars are but obviously the deduction will be restricted if this was in excess of 160g/km
I believe the VAT input claim is a lost cause as invoice is in his personal name and not the company.
I should be grateful for any advice from anyone who has come accross this. Apparently all leasing companies are tightening up on car rentals to companies.
Thank you for any feed back.
- RTI 312 11
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 520 10
- Am i Liable? 677 18
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 77 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 385 8
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 202 6
- What is wrong with HMRC? 188 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,119 61
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,481 33
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 217 8
- Write off of former director's loan 757 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 73 2
- Compensation payment and child benefit 86 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 249 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 88 1
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 107 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 135 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 398 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 388 9
- Added years superannuation 109 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,269
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 624
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 414
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 323
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 236
- Alphabet shares 208
- Agent fees to sell business 201
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 198
- Office recharges 159
- Tax position on lease extension 152