Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Accountant software 403 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 136 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 229 1
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 137 2
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 196 4
- CIS gross status review 88 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 121 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 347 6
- Flat rate vat error 240 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 132 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 141 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 79 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 144 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 359 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 616 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 267 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 606 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 201 4
- Charge out rates in London? 214 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 183 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 751
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 482
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 296
- How to format a stock book 262
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 211
- Tax efficient holding company structure 201
- Investment property company accounts template 190
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 186
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 168
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 159