Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 188 7
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 187 8
- Parent and subsidiary... 128 4
- Clothing 540 15
- Anybody still doing returns? 774 32
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,224 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 357 16
- Designated sole Residence 160 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 732 15
- Anyone know what this is? 278 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 917 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 539 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 278 9
- no utr 308 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,143 49
- Director drawings 612 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 300 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 94 1
- Capital Loss 142 3
- LLP formed in 2013 114 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 600
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 258
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199