Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 158 7
- Can I pay into a pension? 195 5
- Summer festivals! 228 6
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,032 18
- Overlap profit 364 8
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 90 3
- NHS England and the Off Payroll Worker Team 146 3
- Do accountants work at home? 654 13
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 337 5
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 191 4
- Personal Expenses 225 5
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 474 10
- Accountants Qualifications 321 3
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 93 1
- US Company charging VAT. How to account 168 2
- PPR for transferee spouse 90 1
- Rogue Accountant 3,977 58
- Where has Portia gone? 6,261 120
- How to introduce funds in to a Limited by guarantee company 89 1
- ER Relief 122 2