Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- New build property to be rented 28 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 28 1
- Sorry - another PPR question 143 2
- Outstanding Loans 183 3
- RTI and Advances to Employees 36 1
- Networking 824 7
- Allocation of income from property 608 22
- Services by BVI Company for UK Company 72 2
- bookkeeping system 440 7
- Private company division 277 4
- Sharing ODBC Excel Pivot Tables over network 109 2
- Company car in the LLP 93 1
- 64-8 problems 302 4
- flat rate scheme 1,792 37
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 870 11
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 318 9
- Unpaid share capital 202 2
- Bad debt receipt for dissolved company 135 1
- VAT Refunds 164 2
- Company van paid by director 306 3