Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,022 19
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 31 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 372 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 116 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 188 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 90 1
- FPS or EPS 124 2
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 251 3
- Continuity of Practice 183 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 119 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 309 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,202 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 243 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 156 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 293 10
- Online Downtime 336 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 329 3
- What do you all do in your spare time? 793 31
- Personal allowance 674 15
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 448 6
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 221
- Construction CIS LLP Company 209
- EPS and CIS deductions 196