Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Payroo Employer allowance query 146 4
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,003 32
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 156 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 276 4
- Value pricing 691 24
- Reregister for VAT 127 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 196 6
- Weely paid employees 241 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 133 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 461 11
- Director's tax return 276 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 207 6
- Wrong career 473 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 281 7
- Laptop purchase 1,385 20
- PTP software disaster 269 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 226 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 102 2
- Tricky VAT question 187 1
- VT accounts licence key 274 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 796
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 415
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 293
- Free Tax Legislation? 265
- Director Loan account operation 245
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159