Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Would this save hours of your time? 626 12
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 838 35
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 45 1
- Audit Required 1,163 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 287 9
- Residential Management Companies 56 2
- Value pricing 2,832 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 381 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 365 11
- Payroll software for Mac 111 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 90 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 207 5
- CIS and Close Company 193 6
- LLP members share of profits 623 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 421 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 133 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 91 1
- Registered Office 92 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 107 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 290 7
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 934
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 387
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 253
- Paye procedures for CVA 244
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 240
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 187
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 181
- Pension Fixed Protection 180