Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Dress code 1,512 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 454 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 221 6
- Limited company buying director's car 223 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 414 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 349 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 460 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 118 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 72 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 172 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 149 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,408 17
- Scottish Independance 760 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,248 26
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 199 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 262 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 171 1
- Historical figures for WTC 98 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,246 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 139 2
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 471
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 379
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 248
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 143