Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,057 36
- Disengagement Help! 1,304 20
- Accounting for stolen van? 88 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,140 21
- Capital losses on foreign property 148 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 674 10
- self employed losses 133 1
- Unpaid fees 405 9
- Vat payable on van 301 2
- Accounting for corporation tax 562 13
- AccountingWEB survey 306 2
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 592 12
- Change PAYE agent address 135 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 558 22
- Save QCD's 322 6
- Tax Calculations 762 11
- Bankstream 1,211 28
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 142 1
- Probate services 590 18
- Cash gift from India 439 12