Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 179 3
- CGT &LLP 46 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 521 4
- Setting up an offshore company 32 1
- BrightPay 343 8
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 171 16
- Secure document exchange 98 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 147 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 376 7
- break even point 135 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 106 3
- Fax to email providers 320 11
- Payroll software 216 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 116 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 133 4
- How to issue shares to investors 63 1
- Expense management software 623 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,093 84
- Tax code 130 1
- Payroll Manager - seperate monthly & weekly 357 6