Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Company formation and bank account 211 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 636 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,521 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 499 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 391 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 183 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 391 8
- OneNote is fantastic 472 11
- VAT Direct Debit 353 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 436 8
- Self Assessment Software 682 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 434 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,349 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 247 11
- Owning overseas property 238 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 345 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 282 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 691 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,148 21
- PPR on a development? 242 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 651
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 400
- Property letting & CAs 388
- 2015 tax year end 382
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 381
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 265
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 236
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230