Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 62 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,009 28
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 147 2
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 281 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 654 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 565 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 654 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,255 45
- practice planning 188 3
- Accounts Software 735 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 505 14
- Dividend Vouchers 392 5
- Gift to employee 424 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 179 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 178 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,129 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 198 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 167 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,684 10
- Which address 1,093 12
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 494
- CTA study material 470
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 344
- Pre incorp expenses 329
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 278
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 269
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 217
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 173
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 145
- Employment related securities question 131