Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 490 16
- EC VAT 189 7
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 268 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 125 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,346 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 233 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 229 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 43 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 267 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 522 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 814 19
- Flat rate vat error 293 6
- can I claim a per diem 227 4
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 143 3
- Linux Accounting Software 555 13
- RTI due -no broadband 139 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 473 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 95 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 112 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 893 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 819
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 218
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176