Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,185 497
- Property management company Online returns 34 1
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 99 4
- Drop box Storage 531 6
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 56 1
- FIFA game and making money 1,666 14
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 59 3
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 273 9
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,093 45
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 396 19
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 575 16
- Employing a carer 198 2
- Non resident client -employed in the Cayman Islands 106 1
- "Please be advised that one or more Generic Notification Notices have been issued." 123 3
- Which profit figure to use 82 1
- rti 130 4
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 170 2
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 144 4
- RTI -Late registration -any penalties 145 1
- Another goodwill question ....... 166 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,385
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 527
- National Insurance 428
- Non Resident 323
- Hands on experience of Digita 249
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 234
- Employer's Helpline 190
- CIS paid under reg 9 190
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 156
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 153