Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 32 1
- Small hotel - food for personal use 174 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,626 59
- Xero Pain Points 223 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 83 1
- HMRC site down ? 76 3
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 57 1
- The importance of Grammar 826 22
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 110 5
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 127 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 340 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 138 4
- New starter - tax code 122 3
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 569 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 227 3
- Childcare 263 4
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 224 2
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 799 19
- New .accountant domain name extension 130 1
- VAT REGISTATIONS 207 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 359
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 296
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 281
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 279
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 269
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 193
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170