Confused over providing a company car
We are a small start up company hiring a new salesman who needs a vehicle. We are considering the options, but likely the comapny will lease or hire a vehicle for him to use mostly for work, but some private use. I'm struggling to understand how the process works.
The employee pays for petrol some of which is for private use. As I understand if the company repays everything he would be hit for an addiitonal P11D charge for the provission of private fuel use. Since most of his miles will be business I expect this won't be tax efficient. So if we don't pay all of the petrol cost I understand we can repay at up to the advisory fuel rate of say 15p/mile on whatever is documented as business use. I understand this is free of any tax implication for the employee.
If the above is correct what happens to VAT? The employee has paid VAT on the fuel purchase so can we claim back VAT on the 15p we pay to him i.e. 2.5p?
I'm assumnig the Fuel Scale Charges I have come across only apply where the company pays all of the fuel costs and therefore where the employee is taking the P11D hit for fuel provision i.e. this is not relevant in this case.
Thanks for any clarification.
- P35 and Service Company questions 25 1
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 113 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 282 7
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 162 5
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 115 5
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 91 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,567 12
- Companies House incorporation service 265 11
- Share Capital 56 2
- Trading income or not? 124 1
- Charge HMRC 356 3
- FRS17 query 223 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,744 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,567 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 555 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 272 2
- How to opt out? 405 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 92 1
- utr 178 4
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 319 7
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 281
- CIS schemes 214
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 176