Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 140 9
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,646 24
- new capital structure ltd with investors 280 4
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 89 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 254 6
- Companies House 293 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 121 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 105 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 338 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 116 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 219 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 672 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 662 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 151 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 677 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 487 5
- SA tax assessments 171 2
- Director self assessment 412 16
- Sage Import Data 183 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 241 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 432
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 291
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 244
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 220
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 217
- Slight twist on employment related securities 198
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 150
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 144