Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 477 5
- See you all on the other side 619 6
- 12Pay 341 2
- dividends 465 2
- R&D 266 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,129 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 408 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 344 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 291 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 508 5
- Seeking a tax case 577 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 434 4
- Companies house strike off 419 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 332 2
- Moving to the cloud 705 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 202 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 855 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 189 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,069 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 451 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 543
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 307
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 278
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 272
- Capital gains on rental property 248
- Sage Coretime 228