Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Sage bookkeeping 30 1
- Sole trader - change year end 36 3
- Vat on insurance 186 2
- HRP and child benefit 38 1
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,413 42
- Vat Receipts 253 7
- Tradesman client in poor health involved in something dodgy 745 21
- Working Tax Credits 146 5
- Accounting for Volunteer Vouchers 40 1
- LLP - Member leaving 444 13
- As if we haven't got enough to do at this time of year! 434 6
- Signifcant Debts skew SA Tax Liability 1,338 21
- Value Shifting 93 1
- Trust accounts - deficit on income account 422 17
- Disclosure of dividends 463 17
- Gift of shares - Form 42 105 1
- Ex gratia bonus to long standing employee retiring 259 4
- Interest Rate Hedging Products Redress 91 2
- Distribution of Non-dom estate 71 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 1,392 25
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 520
- Alphabet shares 354
- confusion about 221
- Membership of SPA 202
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 198
- Hmrc agent 191
- Maximum AIA Claimable 183
- Alternate 169
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 141
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 135