Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 245 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 238 4
- Closing my business down 52 3
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 190 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 73 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 578 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,238 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,461 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 181 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 830 33
- VAT flat rate scheme 85 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 283 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 80 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,088 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 404 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 146 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 214 3
- FPS or EPS 162 2
- Continuity of Practice 214 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 141 2
- Moving away from CCH software 952
- QROP pension input amounts 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 381
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 356
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 256
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 227
- Construction CIS LLP Company 211
- EPS and CIS deductions 198