Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,414 385
- P11D Query 168 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 157 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 147 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 100 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,258 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 516 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 267 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,281 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 129 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 178 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 112 1
- Scottish but not UK 329 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 292 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 108 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 445 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 110 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 301 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 328
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 246
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 153