Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Busines software 45 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 283 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 129 5
- Buy to let and capitak gain 90 2
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 282 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 448 10
- are receipts needed? 593 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 252 3
- Bookkeping software 699 7
- Clogged Losses 273 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 251 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 647 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 306 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 256 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 116 1
- General tax book with planning 249 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 188 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 199 1
- Gift of property & improvements 156 3
- VAT Invoice 213 6
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 518
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 316
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 179
- P11D benefit received by widow 156
- EXACT ONLINE 151
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 149