Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 160 13
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 99 1
- Invoice Help 213 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 130 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 213 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 206 3
- Sorry ignore me 884 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 554 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,931 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,240 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 790 20
- VAT & capitalising 82 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 316 5
- Free Shares ? 240 2
- Is this a scam? 555 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 293 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 276 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 150 1
- Peer to Peer lending 864 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 105 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 189
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 188
- Probiz 169
- What's the market like for temps? 164
- Married woman dies owning marital home 162