Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- Lack of VAT Receipt 43 1
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 243 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 120 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 175 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 175 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 823 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 536 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 695 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 304 16
- Personal pension 436 9
- Business rates consultancy 268 4
- Wrong tax code 178 6
- Benefit in Kind 262 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 92 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 295 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,059 31
- Deferred Tax 474 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 496 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 248 1
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 296
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 233
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 195
- The booking.com con 175
- UK State pension paid in NZ 165