Confusion between self employment and limited company income
Client set up a limited company on 6th January 2012. He has presented me with his invoices, bank statements etc for the year to date so that I can prepare some management accounts for him. Two points have arisen:
1) I note that his first two invoices, dated 16th January and 1st February 2012, related to work performed by himself in November 2011 and December 2011 for a client, i.e. before the company was incorporated.
Is it allowable to treat this income as company income, given that the invoice was dated post-incorporation? Would expenses be allowable for that period?
2) The company bank account was not set up (due to various delays) until the end of May 2012. In the meantime, all invoices were paid to the client's personal bank account and later transferred to the business account by the client.
I do not think there is a problem with this course of action (the client needs to receive payments from his clients!), but my query is whether I can treat the payment date as the date the client paid the money into the company bank account? Or should there be a directors loan implication as the client did hold onto the money in his personal account for quite some time before making the transfer?
Thanks for any advice.
- BrightPay 634 19
- Gift or Capital Gain? 337 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 270 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 890 25
- Abolish the penalty regime 87 3
- IHT Query 142 3
- Statutary sick pay 181 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 261 4
- Director Salary 354 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 331 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 296 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 186 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 307 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 334 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 379 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 284 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 294 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 165