Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- How much does the company pay 117 3
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 879 12
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 567 20
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,479 5
- Help with CGT please 100 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 140 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 316 6
- Benefit in Kind 320 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 327 17
- Will I need to resign? 955 11
- Cocaine anyone? 686 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 262 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 172 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 207 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 183 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 732 13
- Personal pension 459 9
- Business rates consultancy 279 4
- Wrong tax code 202 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 120 2
- Hive up 523
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 479
- corporate hierarchy 458
- Advice - 302
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 250
- WWOOFers 246
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 202
- The booking.com con 193
- Cocaine anyone? 176