Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 812 16
- Cloud accounting package 140 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,005 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 487 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 271 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 168 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 262 6
- Next Move 358 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 399 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 206 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 250 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 342 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 708 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 295 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 182 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,243 34
- Casual Driver 269 4
- Self Assessment Software 634 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 346 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,268 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 632
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- 2015 tax year end 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 232
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 225
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 220