Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Payroo Employer allowance query 63 1
- non resident receiving UK dividends 162 2
- Underpaid National Insurance 77 1
- Career Advice 131 2
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 37 1
- Wrong career 190 8
- Other forums 79 1
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 205 6
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 94 3
- Agent with HMRC 262 11
- Quarterly PAYE 269 8
- Would this save hours of your time? 186 4
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,879 29
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 182 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 561 4
- Newsletter 246 5
- RTI Filing 1,766 22
- Fee's for P11D's 319 5
- reporting salary? 187 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 332 16
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 774
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 527
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 394
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 280
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 221
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 218
- Director Loan account operation 215
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 208
- Free Tax Legislation? 202
- vat return 179