Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 335 4
- Unallocated client money 191 6
- Incorporation Relief 80 2
- change of office address 65 2
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 89 1
- Letting income or partnership income? 52 1
- Quick Easy Quote 202 3
- Furniture Rental Business 71 2
- Client Death 534 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 169 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 348 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 83 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 318 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 146 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 404 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,927 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 965 15
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 345 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 132 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 212 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 472
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 276
- Cancelled 238
- Cancelled 206
- Bartercard 170
- C79 Discrepancy 164
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 158