Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,458 65
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 76 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 616 28
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 347 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 596 11
- calculate mortgage interest 158 1
- Auto enrolment 1,647 27
- AIA 223 5
- Depreciation 198 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 158 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 236 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 193 3
- client can't/won't pay 478 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 225 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 262 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 274 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,196 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 292 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 236 5
- HMRC SA software error? 214 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 798
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245