Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- ACCA practice certificates 39 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 174 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,077 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 155 2
- What would you do in this situation? 675 14
- Dress code 492 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 513 16
- Project being run jointly 209 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 316 4
- Companies House 614 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 371 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,449 25
- Help Required 428 10
- directors control and tax problems 310 5
- Fastest Software 808 13
- What's in a name ? 408 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 321 4
- Bulk Invoicing 195 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 190 3
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 439
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 258
- AIM Stocks and IHT 253
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 229
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 216
- Expat pension contributions? 204
- Trust for Employee 203
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 185