Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 349 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 63 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 556 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 73 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 268 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 122 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 529 11
- Flat rate vat error 329 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 530 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 268 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 138 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,379 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 248 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 110 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 299 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 538 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 866 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 169 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 840
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 508
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 320
- How to format a stock book 290
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 212
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 183
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181