Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Drop box Storage 751 8
- Undeclared rental income 108 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 640 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 208 2
- rti 177 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 194 6
- FIFA game and making money 1,723 15
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 79 1
- Drop Down Boxes 88 1
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 365 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 241 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 750 21
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,283 497
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 143 2
- Property management company Online returns 87 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 117 3
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 320 9
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,122 45
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 413 19
- Employing a carer 223 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,398
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 531
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 325
- Hands on experience of Digita 251
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 235
- Employer's Helpline 191
- CIS paid under reg 9 190
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 157
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 156