Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 62 4
- SA316s 242 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 49 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 167 4
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 88 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 125 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 957 46
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 590 13
- Filing amended tax return 117 1
- Tier One Tribunal 207 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 828 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 122 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 126 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 259 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 160 2
- Another transfer of property 152 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 225 7
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 205 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 201 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 567 14
- Construction CIS LLP Company 613
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 598
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 358
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 296
- Using the correct forms 271
- RTI - duplicate employee record 266
- SA penalty proposals 259
- Accelerated payment notices 240
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 236