Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Accounts Software 33 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,657 38
- Help with HMRC investigation 162 4
- Director Drawings 71 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 235 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 190 7
- HMRC Agents Line 157 3
- Collection or business assets 74 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 233 8
- Company Director In Prison 401 10
- Tax position re this lease? 357 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 690 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 90 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,641 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 77 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 328 5
- AWeb - download file 131 2
- pension paid by company? 326 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 744 17
- Late annual return 127 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 505
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 334
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 326
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 198