Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 367 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,179 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 147 4
- New Company reviews please 635 16
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,082 33
- Business only use of company car 747 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 405 8
- Gift to son by parents 169 1
- valuation of vehicles 494 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 292 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 185 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 415 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 466 4
- BTC is slow 313 3
- Director registration for SA question 535 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 474 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 521 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 531 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 369 4
- VAT with Russia 288 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 325
- Any thoughts on Capium? 264
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 260
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 249
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 229
- auto enrolment 201
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 187
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 173
- How to account for investment in JV? 167
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 159