Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 13 1
- client issues 128 3
- break even point 333 10
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 714 17
- Setting up an offshore company 186 2
- Payroll software 299 12
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 60 1
- Sage Line 50 Help 33 1
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 248 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 377 20
- Rip off letting agents 575 12
- VAT silly question 2,111 44
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 54 1
- Automatic Enrolment Letter code 142 3
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 284 7
- Profit split on buy-to let 163 2
- BrightPay 456 12
- Question for FreeAgent users 201 6
- Hello there 492 4
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,713 41