Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- WIP Software 349 1
- C79 and VAT Paid to Parcelforce 49 1
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 52 3
- Director resignation 468 11
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 149 9
- Dividend Waiver 158 5
- effective advertising 456 10
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 370 10
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 239 4
- Company oversea and VAT 56 1
- Small Part Disposal of Property 251 1
- Capital Distribution 78 3
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 534 12
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 141 2
- VAT in Eu 132 2
- minimum shareholding 165 4
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 642 8
- CGT on transfer of property 465 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,706 28
- PAYE Desktop viewer and/or Moneysoft 112 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 492
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 471
- No payroll scheme in place 303
- Is there anything wrong with this? 265
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 260
- Uncommercial property business 233
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 198
- SA Penalty 196
- Accrued income scheme 174
- Registering online CWF1 171