Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 177 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 269 4
- Self assesment losses 269 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 146 3
- Off site storage 68 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,065 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 106 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 92 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 519 4
- Joint Property rent 150 3
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 197 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 237 1
- Fee protection 869 16
- Overdrawn DLA 261 9
- Disposal of an opted property 132 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 240 5
- Irish Taxation 97 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,134 31
- CIS monthly declaration 200 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 377 4
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 334
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 223
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 204
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 204
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 159