Confusion re Directors Loan-need help here!
I agreed to complete 2011/12 accounts for a family member as a favour to help save some accountant fees. He is a Director for his limited company SME (just him, one director, no-one else involved). All was plain sailing until we reconciled the Trade Debtors account.
The trade debtors account was showing a £20k balance and it turns out that this was amounts paid from the company for personal items such as rent, personal phone, general living expenses, etc. A salary had been paid as well, but only up to the personal tax free limit. For the year we have been preparing the accounts, further payments were made so the 'trade debtors' now stands at £35k.
I feel that the previous accountant has treated this incorrectly in showing it as a trade debtor rather than a loan. Before I submit the accounts and offer him advice, I would really appreciate it if someone could reassure me that I am correct.
This is how I think it should be treated:
(1) the loan should always have been treated as a benefit in kind, therefore interest should have been charged.
(2) none of the loan has ever been repaid, and it is now over the 9 month period, so we have the following options available:
(a) the company must pay 25% corp tax on the loan balance
(b) we release the loan to show it as salary/dividends and he is then liable to pay the respective NI on the loan amount.
(c) the loan is written off and he will still owe the NI
Or am I missing something and have got it totally wrong, and the original accountant was correct in that we can treat it a a trade debtor forever with no tax to be paid?
Would really appreciate any comment here! Thanks very much in advance.
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 43 1
- Concurrent users 385 7
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 42 1
- Member meet up 1 October in London 162 6
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,517 18
- VAT on children's clothing 99 3
- P11D & tax return 211 9
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 141 3
- Freelance/Employee 864 20
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 215 3
- Why do I get the feeling ... 226 4
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 455 8
- Fees 699 7
- Creation of leases out of freehold 160 2
- Selling Business 308 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,352 50
- Capital Goods Scheme 134 6
- HMRC incompetency 372 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 2,137 59
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 733 22
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 792
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 385
- Electric Car 324
- S222 Charge 261
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 235
- AIA 208
- IP trans to holding company 208
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 196
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 162