Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 31 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 216 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,214 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 346 6
- Go Cardless 371 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 309 3
- Mehjoo 324 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 112 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 372 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 188 4
- SA302 331 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 286 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 214 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 174 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 380 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 207
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 204
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151