Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 186 4
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 45 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 39 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 119 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,383 58
- Aggressive HMRC 1,161 14
- Charity reserves 51 1
- Have i messed up? 382 7
- Related Parties Note 287 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 334 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,324 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 468 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 245 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,234 18
- How to format a stock book 366 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,377 31
- Disposal of property 99 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 131 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 244 2
- trading or dormant 204 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 969
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 350
- Tax efficient holding company structure 276
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 260
- Investment property company accounts template 242
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 188
- Personal consumption by landlord 165
- Interest on Loan to a Company 157