Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 672 18
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 285 4
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 275 10
- Love is in the air 600 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,058 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 378 4
- Setting up a practice 532 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 544 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 498 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 407 1
- Stamp Duty 302 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 240 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,822 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 720 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 396 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 588 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 592 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 416 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 404 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 465 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 305
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 296
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- Foreign domicile status 263
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 258
- Apprenticeship Levy 243
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 242
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 226
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 225