Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 233 4
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 533 8
- Are HMRC staff on early 453 7
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 147 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 190 4
- Start up allowance? 88 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 186 9
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 51 2
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 817 13
- Late Registration for VAT 269 9
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 89 2
- AIA or IFA 273 2
- CGT and Expenses on Property Rental Business 59 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,167 33
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 199 6
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,340 19
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 80 1
- How much of your work is admin? 555 4
- Goodwill complications 219 3
- Registering a company late 404 13
- TheTax Donut 1,031
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 683
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 626
- Follower cases 491
- Limited company purchase of property 424
- Hive up 420
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 387
- corporate hierarchy 384
- LIVE chat, starting now 336
- Advice - 192