Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Dividend dates 542 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 99 3
- Sole properietor 140 4
- transitioning payroll 215 8
- dividend proposals 69 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 215 2
- Deduction from Salary 278 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 172 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,699 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 74 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 428 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 155 2
- 12 Pay Problems 244 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 241 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 87 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 478 13
- VAT - Recharge 93 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 353 4
- Legal title not in the company name 234 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 174