Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Share transfer question 260 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 399 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 192 5
- New Employers Helpline 123 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 213 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,278 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 182 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 185 4
- VAT Query 174 2
- Sacked my first client 644 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 410 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 218 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,264 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 620 11
- Trades and deadlines 140 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,075 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 269 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 230 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 420
- WIP Software 287
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 200
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 187