Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 46 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 130 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 224 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 397 9
- Scanners 156 3
- Payment plans for clients 85 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 215 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 215 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 387 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 432 9
- P60 or payslips? 76 1
- Property income in different capacities 94 1
- IHT dilemma 1,378 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 183 1
- IT advisory questions? 165 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 792 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 124 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 522 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 463 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 635 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,154
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 318
- Credit where credit's due....... 269
- Director phone costs 229
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 225
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 189
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 150
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 133