Connected party loans
I act for a number of companies under common control, that, over the years, have built up loans that will probably never actually be paid.
None of the companies are insolvent, but a certain amount of 'tidying up' is required.
There are no 'bad debts' as such, and, while the debt is probably a mixture of trade and non-trade, hopefully a formal release of the debt will ensure a tax-neutral position.
In fact, my question is an accounting one, not tax.
It doesn't seem correct to account for this through the profit and loss account, as that will distort the true trading position. There is, after all, no trading reason for doing this.
Perhaps we could adjust the retained profits figure by way of note? in which case is any tagging required?
- Do I need to pay my accountant 67 1
- Limited company buying a car 160 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 295 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 463 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 559 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 197 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 289 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 118 2
- ACCA practice certificates 499 5
- Limited company buying director's car 294 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 82 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 115 1
- WC's and capital allowances 175 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 314 13
- Dress code 1,549 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 483 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 262 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 383 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 475 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 199 4
- CTA study material 770
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 482
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 399
- Employment related securities question 309
- AIM Stocks and IHT 281
- Expat pension contributions? 259
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 258
- Trust for Employee 238
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 184
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 148