Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- This is getting boring 184 7
- 27,000 Really? 178 12
- Legal title not in the company name 438 17
- VAT on printing when being a third party 36 1
- NALS Accountants Report 202 3
- VAT - Recharge 165 6
- Employment Allowance 304 5
- Farm barn lettings 35 1
- CIC Company 579 10
- transitioning payroll 303 9
- dividend proposals 214 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 286 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,888 61
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,545 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 219 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 550 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 922 19
- Opening Balances 130 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 233 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,417 21
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 277
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 246
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180