Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 190 3
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 475 15
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,049 11
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 294 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 313 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 253 6
- Potentially dodgy client 263 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 544 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 430 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 395 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 505 23
- Do I need to pay my accountant 619 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 189 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 330 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 654 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 149 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 169 3
- Lloyds bank ... 461 6
- Limited company buying a car 266 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 515 10
- CTA study material 780
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 413
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 263
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 197
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150