Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 102 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 161 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 165 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 813 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 525 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 688 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 300 16
- Personal pension 435 9
- Business rates consultancy 263 4
- Wrong tax code 172 6
- Benefit in Kind 251 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 85 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 277 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,058 31
- Deferred Tax 473 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 489 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 245 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 143 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 236 3
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 294
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 232
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 194
- The booking.com con 172
- UK State pension paid in NZ 164