Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Is it possible to link documents into transactions in Sage? 83 2
- Overseas workday relief 40 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 694 11
- Change PAYE agent address 177 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 103 4
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 177 8
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 46 1
- Claiming for breach of contract 226 4
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 133 2
- AccountingWEB survey 348 4
- An IT question 351 8
- Maintenance company for buy to let 113 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,112 38
- Disengagement Help! 1,410 21
- Accounting for stolen van? 215 3
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,158 21
- Capital losses on foreign property 157 1
- self employed losses 178 1
- Unpaid fees 480 9
- Vat payable on van 311 2