Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 17 1
- Turnover on a tax return 494 11
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,225 34
- incorrect old p60 537 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 63 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 170 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 107 1
- Special dividends & CGT 183 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 147 1
- Networking 335 5
- VAT refund 276 2
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 267 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 298 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 142 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 328 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 268 2
- IT Contractor 281 1
- Sage instant account codes 190 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 288 1
- Cashflow forecasting software 329 4