Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 270 7
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 388 4
- Jointly owned property 268 6
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 133 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 110 2
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 367 4
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 103 1
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 272 4
- Relevant life plan 244 6
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 156 4
- The return 984 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 139 1
- Why .... 578 6
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 536 10
- Any advice on large 55 inch + computer monitor 168 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 401 6
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 471 10
- Limited Company expenses 306 7
- Formating cells in Excel 284 6
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 201 4
- Possible Partnership? 579
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 494
- New Fangled Penalties 389
- Clubs and Taxable Income 313
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 286
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 236
- Loans to other companies 235
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 200
- Outsource Data Entry 192
- Moving away from CCH software 184