Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,104 305
- Mortgage deposit Gift 87 3
- Expenses of overseas employment 161 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 110 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 606 12
- Statutory Residence Test - Travelling 134 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,104 15
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 350 3
- EC sales list 64 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 348 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 390 11
- ICPA-Scotland 180 2
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 228 1
- Declined for business bank account 388 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 543 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 226 10
- Standard 'email' template system 926 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 241 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 119 1
- Circular shareholding 279 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,125
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 369
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 275
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 241
- Payments on account coded out?? 236
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 196
- Non Resident 193
- Franchise income and costs 181