Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 123 3
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 406 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 71 2
- What does it mean?? 353 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 286 13
- VAT on motor expenses 898 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 72 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,709 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,309 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 102 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 167 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 205 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 160 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 750 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 392 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 211 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 335 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 118 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 97 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 237
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 223
- Management expenses for investment company 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 207
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 194