Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 138 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 217 9
- How to Value a Business 473 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 133 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 541 13
- How much did you pay for your website 481 13
- Companies House 139 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 113 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 381 7
- Company Pension Contributions 260 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 219 4
- Expenses allowable 170 3
- Let Property Campaign 386 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 135 1
- Self employment trap - pension 347 3
- Awkward IP 612 9
- ESC A19 130 2
- When does my Property business start 269 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,537 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 868 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 224
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 199
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 176
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 135
- Expat pension contributions? 127
- Trust for Employee 125