Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 236 7
- Directors loan accounts 363 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 295 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 247 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 99 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 159 1
- Employed clients and expenses 791 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,028 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 691 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 889 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,090 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 492 18
- I.d for vat registration 263 10
- Bookkeping software 898 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 285 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 249 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 342 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,826 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 120 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 153 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 537
- NOVA 486
- Bonus Bonds 372
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 273
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 169
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 155
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 139
- Finance Lease 139