Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- VAT on employee loan 249 3
- What do you all do in your spare time? 631 28
- Accountants website 313 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 44 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 87 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 333 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,394 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 205 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 395 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 149 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 195 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 181 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 709 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Purchased Goodwill 125 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 79 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 101 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 212 4
- Recruitment agencies 589 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 529 20
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 930
- QROP pension input amounts 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 337
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 263
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 236
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189