Connected under s993 ITA 2007?
I have a client and his (non-married/non-cp) life partner. He has a company with a six-figure sum sitting in the bank and he is planning the following:
1. Set up a UK Newco owned 50:50 with his life partner
2.lend the cash to Newco from his existing company
3. Newco will buy a residential property in another EU country which will be let as holiday accommodation mainly.
4. They may visit it for a few weeks a year for holidays.
For the purposes of the relief from BIK in ITEPA 2003 s100B the two companies must not be connected (unless a commercial rate of interest is charged)
I think they pass all the tests in ITA 2007 s993 except I'm not sure about s993(7). As they will be able to control the new company together this sub-section seems to deem them to be connected so that the companies become connected. This seems a bit absurd as it leads to the situation where virtually all companies are connected in this type of situation, regardless if the individuals are "connected" under s993 (1)-(6).
Or am I being stupid? If so please tell me why!!
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 939 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 60 3
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 747 28
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 123 2
- Identity check problem 1,207 12
- blank - ignore 479 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 79 2
- calculate mortgage interest 342 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 433 9
- Capital Gains Relief 85 3
- Companies House praise 215 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,037 14
- Advice on letting a client go ? 618 11
- client can't/won't pay 1,549 27
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 144 1
- Directors NIC's 172 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 72 1
- Entrepreneurs relief 152 2
- Declaration of interest 191 7
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 270 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 569
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 533
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 239
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 227
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163