Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- First VAT Visit for client 193 4
- Dividend in specie 219 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 148 8
- Partially exempt? 228 8
- Lorry Drivers 125 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 35 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 72 1
- Mexican student in UK 110 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 186 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 285 12
- payroll software 88 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,040 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 84 1
- Pricing 325 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 239 5
- VAT 112 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 846 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 641 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 209 3
- Vat 105 2
- Skandia using wrong address 476
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 274
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 268
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 217
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 201
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 157