Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- VAT - Medical Staff 156 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,110 13
- Really?! 790 10
- CIS 186 5
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,159 16
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,369 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 645 15
- VAT 701/49 query 218 2
- backpack 287 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 148 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 236 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 342 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 192 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 354 5
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 153 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 190 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 119 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 251 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 463 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 902 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 704
- 2015 tax year end 439
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 415
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 355
- Costly Accounting Software contract 311
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 254
- Directors' advances and credits 252
- DTA tie-breaker issue 238
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 221
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 202