Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- AWeb - download file 200 4
- Director Drawings 217 6
- Incorporated when they should not have 292 9
- Accountancy Career 350 5
- Accounts Software 189 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,378 22
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,711 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 122 1
- HMRC Agents Line 232 4
- calculation DTR restriction 99 1
- Company Director In Prison 475 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 99 1
- Charity work 254 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 283 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 282 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 243 7
- Collection or business assets 119 1
- Tax position re this lease? 374 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 738 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 111 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 529
- Cancelled 430
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204