Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Virus Alert - VERY realistic aimed at acountants 40 1
- Do I pay VAT back to employer for my training?? 89 5
- Company dividends 685 24
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,236 46
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 305 11
- White van man 902 27
- FYAs on second-hand vans 79 5
- VAT Margin Schemes 76 1
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 96 4
- Investment from Friend 273 11
- VAT registration transfer 58 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 195 7
- US-UK pension problem 141 3
- Limited Companies Merger 84 3
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 283 1
- Treatment of income for sole trader 322 3
- Serious help with shutting down company I started as a kid? 228 3
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 186 4
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 100 2
- How to value a business asset? 182 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 891
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 588
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 558
- Latest phishing scam 498
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 363
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 332
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 263
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 180
- Capital allowances in first basis period 168
- Sabbatical payments 162