Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- VAT Office Grimsby 176 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 136 5
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 64 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 433 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 141 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 298 3
- Payment plans for clients 264 3
- CT600 248 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 311 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 82 1
- Lease 133 4
- Free invoicing software 495 4
- Digita Hosted Software 395 4
- signature required 877 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,315 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 180 5
- Thin Client recomendation 228 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 191 5
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 119 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 134 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,303
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 544
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 173
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 155
- Director's business mileage 145