Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 115 2
- Industry Reports 33 1
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 54 1
- recompense capital input 221 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 748 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,158 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 709 31
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 281 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 108 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 240 2
- CT losses carry back 126 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 551 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 204 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 812 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 423 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,322 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 166 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 192 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 244 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 1,006 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 801
- RTI - duplicate employee record 567
- Pensions Regulator 458
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 416
- Portia ... Where art thou 343
- Sanzar 318
- How do you do it 307
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 275
- new investor structure 186