Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- ACCA - still making me laugh 398 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 225 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 284 11
- Tax return software for remote working 442 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 460 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 773 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 396 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 435 9
- How to purchase business premises? 118 2
- Will I need to resign? 781 10
- Childcare vouchers 133 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 202 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 173 3
- PAYE coding out 163 3
- Follower cases 569 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,142 1
- Hive up 466
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 431
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 196
- WWOOFers 192
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 172
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168