Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 676 8
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 184 6
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,560 115
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 335 10
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 366 9
- FBI2 98 1
- On line Remote Training 69 1
- error on companies house accounts 556 15
- Transfer of stock 104 4
- PPR election time limit - change in the number of residences 62 1
- Virtually Impossible 328 6
- Personal allowance for non-resident 86 2
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 148 2
- Brightpay 94 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 58 1
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,083 8
- Newly Started Practice 594 12
- SSP days and Holidays 152 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 561 6
- Is there a reporting requirement? 152 1
- QROP pension input amounts 486
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 428
- EPS and CIS deductions 277
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- Construction CIS LLP Company 264
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 225
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 183
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 175