Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 182 3
- CIS monthly returns 225 4
- Apostille documents 152 3
- Fair Value Accounting 117 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,475 88
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 229 6
- Husband Wife let property 382 11
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 111 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 205 4
- Games Tax Relief 51 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 526 13
- Goodie bag 1,707 54
- can I approach clients ? 495 9
- Film Actors - Averaging? 358 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 232 3
- FreeAgent question 146 2
- Output tax for retailer 326 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 305 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 152 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 154 1
- Possible Partnership? 648
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 525
- New Fangled Penalties 453
- Fuming! 396
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 321
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 262
- Outsource Data Entry 245
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 239
- Moving away from CCH software 234
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 179