Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Share restructure 288 11
- Paperless office question 83 4
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 365 7
- Warning about Tax Insider (taxinsider.co.uk) 878 5
- Stock Valuation 111 1
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 456 14
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,882 30
- Corporation tax due and repayable 71 1
- IR35 and working for an EU company 163 2
- Newsletter 214 4
- Business Challenges 490 11
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 407 10
- £2000 Employment Allowance 251 2
- Is an iPad a taxable benefit? 264 4
- dividends, shares, waivers 1,128 15
- Using a PO Box address 126 4
- Capital Gains Query 157 2
- Late filing fees - worth appealing? 344 2
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 443 7
- Unknown cash receipt 1,630 12
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 719
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 489
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 323
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 320
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 258
- growth voucher supplier 230
- VAT on Gaming Machines 199
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 195
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 162
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 162