Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,638 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 367 9
- Vat 86 3
- PAYE 101 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 114 2
- IHT dilemma 301 11
- Share Valuation 67 2
- Dormant company or not? 320 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 97 1
- Best form of debt recovery 169 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 378 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 314 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 197 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 124 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 658
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 523
- Auto enrolment excuses 504
- Removed post 372
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 350
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 156
- Digita Hosted Software 141
- option to tax 127