Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- SA302 182 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 103 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,047 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 253 2
- Dental practice incorpration 113 1
- Audit rules 154 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 228 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 819 20
- Go Cardless 266 8
- business entertaining deductibility 129 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 144 2
- R & D 105 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 80 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 111 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 163 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 155 1
- New Business Registration 216 5
- Hosted email exchange 135 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 151 1
- G P life time allowance 122 3
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 281
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 171
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 151