Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,649 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 499 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 851 23
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,351 18
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,985 39
- VAT & capitalising 134 3
- Final year's accounts 160 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 316 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 306 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 314 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 255 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 149 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,982 36
- Invoice Help 256 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 193 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 262 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 246 3
- Sorry ignore me 919 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 599 5
- Free Shares ? 252 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 170
- What's the market like for temps? 168