Consumer Prices as advertised
Does anybody know which legislation says that for consumer goods, the prices advertised must be stated inclusive of VAT or at least state in small print "+ VAT".
The reason I am asking this is because Tesco recently advertised unlimited broadband package for £2.50 per month but it did not state that this price is exclusive of VAT. Therefore, the actual price for a consumer is £3.00. Now on top of this you also need to add the line rental of £13.75 + VAT. Again the line rental was simply stated as £13.75 per month. It did not state anything like "+ VAT".
The only reference for this is at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm but it does not give any statutory reference.
BT prices are always inclusive of VAT; TalkTalk prices are also inclusive of VAT.
I migrated from TalkTalk to Tesco but now it has worked out more expensive than the package I had with TalkTalk. To get out of the contract there is a stiff penalty of making up the lost revenue to Tesco of upto 1 years package.
Thanks to anybody who can reply swiftly.
- cgt quoted shares losses 215 2
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 49 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 400 15
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 845 28
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,059 29
- directors loan 272 8
- Director registration for SA question 280 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 231 3
- New Company reviews please 470 12
- Business only use of company car 609 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 346 4
- CIS not deducted 317 5
- Car Capital Contribution 184 2
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 103 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 269 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 360 8
- VAT with Russia 144 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 221 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,168 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 285
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 211
- Any thoughts on Capium? 204
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 147
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 147