Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Large director's pension contribution 465 5
- Charge for tax returns 362 9
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 24 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 667 9
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 438 6
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 583 13
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 99 3
- Support / ticketing software 160 8
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 413 8
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 422 11
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,610 18
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 288 9
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 221 6
- interest in client bank account 165 3
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 263 13
- Landlord expenses incurred looking for new properties 332 6
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 604 14
- Company Number 10000000 876 11
- Company car v company allowance 747 2
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 212 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 780
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 209
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 201
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186
- Just checking re PSA 185
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 181