Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 490 5
- See you all on the other side 625 6
- 12Pay 349 2
- dividends 478 2
- R&D 270 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,133 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 411 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 350 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 298 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 510 5
- Seeking a tax case 582 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 442 4
- Companies house strike off 429 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 342 2
- Moving to the cloud 707 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 204 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 858 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 190 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,072 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 458 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 308
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 279
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 273
- Capital gains on rental property 251
- Sage Coretime 228