Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 108 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 267 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 157 1
- Top slicing relief question 211 2
- Valuation of PET on death 75 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 216 6
- Share swap 275 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 65 1
- Online filing 124 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 315 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 127 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,659 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 89 2
- Converting a barn for business use 76 1
- Was I rude 680 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 216 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 100 2
- Joint rental income 107 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 324 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 133 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 803
- Any views 723
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 382
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 277
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 193
- Expenses claim for non employee 181