Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- What is your favourite font? 354 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 39 1
- CGT on Let Property 345 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 289 4
- Strike off 203 7
- Franchise affiliations 93 1
- Company investment 151 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 73 1
- Gift to son by parents 337 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,197 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 145 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 455 7
- New CASC rules 144 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 272 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 144 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 249 6
- valuation of vehicles 532 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 126 1
- RTI Mess 609 10
- directors loan 515 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 339
- Any thoughts on Capium? 288
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 269
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 239
- auto enrolment 217
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 197
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 189
- How to account for investment in JV? 175
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 165