Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Refusing to complete a tax return 44 3
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 355 11
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 123 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 847 31
- What sectors to target? 239 8
- IHT and cash gifts 139 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 678 32
- Practice management 190 3
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 357 1
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 409 4
- Flat Conversion Allowance 80 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 236 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 95 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 160 7
- Clothing 244 4
- VAT registration transfer 169 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 104 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 159 2
- Director drawings 444 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 617
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 582
- Latest phishing scam 540
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 381
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 205
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 181
- Negligible Value Claim 158