Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 88 1
- Fastest Software 642 10
- Where did it go? 221 2
- cancellation of Engagement 101 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 84 1
- Feuding directors 234 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 92 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 479 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,890 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 603 5
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 202 3
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 225 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 86 1
- Benefit fraud 3,417 49
- SA Tax Returns 150 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 132 2
- Consolidated accounts 118 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,021 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,399 22
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 242
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 164
- Trust for Employee 150
- Expat pension contributions? 147
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 133
- Capital allowances 119