Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 944 29
- You know its over 325 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 483 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 212 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 165 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 153 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 231 3
- Cocaine anyone? 502 8
- Late Registration for VAT 481 13
- EIS/SEIS 136 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 272 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 410 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 418 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 710 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,213 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 168 3
- Hive up 489
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 434
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 197
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173