Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 40 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 48 3
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 361 21
- Use of home for storage 284 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 272 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 735 15
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,207 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 328 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 167 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,049 338
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 56 1
- property rental income split 221 2
- Payments on account coded out?? 283 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 329 9
- Mortgage deposit Gift 391 17
- What should I do for 'free' 589 6
- Declined for business bank account 492 7
- Negativer Payslip Request 253 3
- Family loan 1,223 16
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 153 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,178
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 398
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 311
- National Insurance 305
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 258
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 231
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 230
- Non Resident 215
- Franchise income and costs 199
- Hands on experience of Digita 139