Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- What is the law regarding selling your Ltd company to another? 43 3
- Summer festivals! 321 12
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 161 2
- Do accountants work at home? 772 21
- Can I pay into a pension? 259 8
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 236 5
- Tax Implications for Selling a Subsidiary 52 2
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 145 4
- Selling a property at a loss. Does HMRC still require a tax return 32 1
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 413 11
- Merging my businesses 287 4
- Where has Portia gone? 6,438 122
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 877 22
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 255 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,092 19
- new investor structure 220 1
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 179 7
- Overlap profit 374 8
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 108 3
- NHS England and the Off Payroll Worker Team 205 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 884
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 472
- Sanzar 362
- Digital marketing focus group 319
- Fit for purpose 215
- career 189
- Continuity Agreement 188
- Buyback 179
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 170
- Isle of Man payroll 168