Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Budget 2015 - take two 152 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 164 4
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 190 4
- VAT Query 147 2
- Overlap relief 694 17
- Sacked my first client 591 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 381 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 193 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,243 24
- Share transfer question 246 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 601 11
- Trades and deadlines 118 3
- How to pay national insurance 640 18
- New Website Look 1,066 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 252 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 221 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 152 4
- Marketing and email surprises 345 7
- Am I too soft? 455 13
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,222 16
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- WIP Software 284
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 217
- No payroll scheme in place 214
- Software recommendations 193
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 193
- Is there anything wrong with this? 184
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 182