Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,263 11
- The importance of Grammar 1,326 40
- Xero Pain Points 549 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 132 2
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 201 5
- Best way to draw a salary? 700 12
- PI cover 242 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 218 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 949 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 737 26
- Profit split from an investment property 180 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,432 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 163 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- tax saving on card points 246 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 267 9
- Scissors 895 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 442 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 463 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 271 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 329
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 298
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 174