Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 264 13
- Fee's for P11D's 246 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 370 1
- Childcare Vouchers 156 3
- Quarterly PAYE 155 6
- Audit Report Query 173 5
- Coming in from the cold 173 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 66 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,285 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 59 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 123 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 62 1
- Thats Better 251 6
- Value pricing 546 18
- reporting salary? 129 2
- apprentices 85 1
- Sage Payroll 251 10
- VAT 143 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 223 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 252 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 762
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 193
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150