Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Commission on holiday accrual 62 1
- error on companies house accounts 110 4
- Newly Started Practice 179 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 155 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 182 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 188 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 86 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 93 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 346 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 226 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 168 2
- Generic Notification Notices 125 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 114 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 93 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 244 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 145 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 241 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 214
- SAGE winforecast 180
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166