Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- inflation rate year on year 171 4
- Accounts Question 121 5
- Deleted question? 743 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,185 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,951 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 714 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,404 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,931 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 661 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 451 4
- VAT Return Errors 190 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 138 5
- Yorkshire Day 612 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 195 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 188 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 383 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 152 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 298 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 239 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 156 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 378
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 263
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 237
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 232
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 153