Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Anyone done ATT? 186 5
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 141 4
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 291 4
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 61 1
- Accounting for software development costs 226 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,619 54
- Bereavment payment 328 4
- VAT invoice 160 4
- Fee protection 1,055 23
- indexation factors 68 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,589 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 124 1
- Payroll Software Recommendations 214 6
- Received a CIS invoice 210 4
- claim fees with out without VAT? 127 2
- Vat on motor repairs 131 3
- saturday staff 341 3
- Free accounts system for small business? 249 5
- Property Revaluation - Postings 74 1
- Electronic v printed payslips 254 4
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 402
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 237
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 200
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 194
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 160
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 158