Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- signature required 436 20
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 487 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 156 5
- Settlement discount 48 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 83 5
- CT600 36 1
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 151 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 87 2
- Pratice Management Software 43 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 189 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 104 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 178 2
- Homing sandwiches 367 9
- Related Party Transactions 101 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 78 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 458 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 754 13
- More AE! 758 17
- Web sites 242 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 603 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,230
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 511
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 187
- TheTax Donut 173
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 156
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155