Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 199 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 191 9
- JIEB Exams 131 1
- RTI 89 1
- Christmas party 104 1
- Am i Liable? 114 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 739 10
- Checking a contract 294 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 311 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 230 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 161 7
- VAT on garage rent 325 14
- Value-shifting 68 1
- Pattern for CTA 208 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 450 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 84 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 233 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 243 5
- EBT 179 1
- Giving a seminar 531 28
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,211
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 608
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 407
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 315
- Agent fees to sell business 189
- Alphabet shares 189
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 182
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 176
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 164
- Office recharges 147