Contract cancellation letter lost in post
I recently sent a letter to cancel a contract for services which requires a 90 day notice period before the annual renewal date. If you fail to send it in time you have to pay for another 12 months.
The letter was lost in the post - their word against mine as I didn't send it registered post. Since I hadn't had a response I sent a second letter and fax asking for a response but this letter was later than the required 90 days notice. I still heard nothing.
Next I rang our "customer services rep" and she promised to deal with it. The next thing I get is an invoice in the post for the renewal. I rang straightaway and said I wouldn't be paying the invoice as we'd cancelled the contract. Now I have an e-mail stating that the MD has refused to cancel the contract because they didn't receive the first letter.
Where do I stand legally with this? Does anyone know my options on this?
We have used this company for at least 10 years and I cannot believe they are being so inflexible for what is in effect a contract worth less than £2k. We certainly don't treat our customers in this way.
- Apostille documents 142 3
- Fair Value Accounting 104 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,468 88
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 222 6
- Husband Wife let property 376 11
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 110 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 195 4
- Games Tax Relief 43 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 523 13
- Goodie bag 1,689 54
- CIS monthly returns 218 3
- can I approach clients ? 484 9
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 174 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 357 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 228 3
- FreeAgent question 139 2
- Output tax for retailer 326 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 301 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 150 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 151 1
- Possible Partnership? 647
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 524
- New Fangled Penalties 451
- Fuming! 394
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 321
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 262
- Outsource Data Entry 245
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 239
- Moving away from CCH software 234
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 179