Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Homing sandwiches 420 11
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 49 2
- CT600 93 3
- CIS software 32 1
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 145 7
- Settlement discount 105 4
- signature required 481 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 504 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 171 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 160 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 110 2
- Pratice Management Software 95 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 200 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 122 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 184 2
- Related Party Transactions 114 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 101 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 758 13
- More AE! 766 17
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,239
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 520
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 310
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 191
- TheTax Donut 178
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 158
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157