Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,481 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 154 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 100 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 286 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 237 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,237 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 373 6
- Go Cardless 388 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 334 3
- Mehjoo 337 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 158 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 415 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 201 4
- SA302 349 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 298 13
- Bringing money to Uk 304 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 220 4
- Hmrc software 265 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 203 1
- Hosted email exchange 196 5
- Xtuple 526
- Qtac payroll for bureau 358
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 302
- Industrial & Provident Societies 295
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 239
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 217
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 214
- Domain name sale and limited company 184
- CIS schemes 180
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 157