Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Budget 2015 predictions 94 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 275 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,894 32
- Telemarketing 92 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 418 10
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 88 1
- Non domicile swiss bank 114 2
- New tax codes for ex-employees 106 1
- Husband Wife let property 78 1
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 74 1
- Gift between companies 102 2
- Physiotherapy And Vat 118 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 446 6
- Why .... 693 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 934 9
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 541 12
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 431 5
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 272 6
- Relevant life plan 311 7
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 158 2
- Possible Partnership? 587
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 496
- New Fangled Penalties 401
- Clubs and Taxable Income 322
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 293
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 246
- Loans to other companies 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 208
- Outsource Data Entry 198
- Moving away from CCH software 195