Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- How much does the company pay 520 21
- I have done a terrible thing 591 14
- VAT on Business Premises 58 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 29 1
- Consolidation Software 121 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 428 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,003 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,148 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 298 9
- HMRC property income enquiry 274 6
- LLp Profits 136 5
- two business from one premises 128 2
- AIA 241 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 339 20
- partnership tax return 157 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 183 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 107 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 304 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,179 27
- s455 tax 149 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 501
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 316
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 266
- WWOOFers 256
- The booking.com con 236
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 233
- Cocaine anyone? 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 214
- UK State pension paid in NZ 174