Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- CGT on spouse's death 169 7
- Non resident pension withdrawal 131 2
- Tax relief for networking day out? 412 10
- Mortgage Adviser's request 229 6
- Starting Again 173 4
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 698 35
- P11D Software 767 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 190 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 250 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 380 10
- Payroll software 178 4
- Company UTR numbers 295 6
- Summer house for business only 110 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 102 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 568 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 142 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 142 3
- How do you count your clients 410 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 156 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 114 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 580
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 380
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 238
- Accelerated payment notices 228