Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- eBay trading 186 4
- HMRC filing meltdown? 30 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 167 17
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 246 10
- Self assesment online 859 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,089 46
- childcare 67 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 214 8
- What sectors to target? 523 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 115 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 428 12
- PAYE Control Visit 166 2
- Practice management 329 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 196 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 245 8
- Capital allowances on Software 114 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 213 10
- Pension contribution 157 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 226 3
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 287 12
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 918
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 636
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 568
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 396
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 301
- Scratch Head 222
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Capital allowances in first basis period 209
- Sabbatical payments 188