Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 609 5
- See you all on the other side 676 6
- 12Pay 440 2
- dividends 591 2
- R&D 308 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,168 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 433 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 394 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 367 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 538 5
- Seeking a tax case 636 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 499 4
- Companies house strike off 529 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 414 2
- Moving to the cloud 733 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 214 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 891 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 206 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,088 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 488 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 560
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 371
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 322
- USA help 315
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 295
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 288
- Marginal rates of tax 278
- Class 2 NI 266