Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Self-employed 160 7
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 429 11
- Personal Service Company and Isle of Man 160 1
- Microsoft One Drive 507 18
- Online Back Up 52 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 378 5
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 967 19
- VAT commercial property TOGC 93 2
- Audacity 1,411 24
- minority interest discount 196 6
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 615 9
- Not a question but made my day 1,254 24
- Software Sales 133 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 358 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 346 5
- vat gross margins 139 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,613 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 202 1
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 217 4
- On to a loser here? 1,207 4
- NHS finance professionals 607
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 367
- vat gross profit percentage margins 338
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 333
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 311
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 276
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 267
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 238
- IFA income recognition & reporting 202