Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 234 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 37 1
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 49 1
- Quote for client 280 7
- Investment Unrealised Gains Accounting Treatment 70 1
- PAYE 54 1
- Annual Report - How to? 52 1
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 279 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 267 10
- Investment property? 569 4
- error on companies house accounts 907 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 188 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,001 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 119 2
- Client's company struck off 1,833 21
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 86 1
- Refurbised Pub 179 4
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 183 4
- Directors obligation to notify 395 6
- Tax relief in respect of rental property/withdrawing of capital 95 2
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 516
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 452
- EPS and CIS deductions 319
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 302
- Construction CIS LLP Company 293
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 277
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 224
- SAGE winforecast 213
- Overdrawn director account 201
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 199