Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 133 4
- PRR 451 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 48 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 226 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 292 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 206 2
- cross border vat 110 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,902 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 773 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 277 12
- Can't read my handwriting 633 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,650 74
- Employing a carer 131 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 531 16
- Corp Tax Refund 169 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 401 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 279 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 91 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 233 1
- Audit partner? 278 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,372
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 518
- National Insurance 411
- Non Resident 320
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 226
- Employer's Helpline 187
- CIS paid under reg 9 184
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 151
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 145