Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Wrong career 418 18
- Would this save hours of your time? 356 8
- Laptop purchase 1,349 20
- PTP software disaster 215 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 152 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 197 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 87 2
- Director's tax return 190 3
- Tricky VAT question 127 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 97 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 225 6
- VT accounts licence key 231 5
- Weely paid employees 209 2
- Splitting the tax year 78 1
- FPS Submission 130 2
- Value pricing 636 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 201 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 127 1
- vat return 220 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 173 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 789
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 544
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 409
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 290
- Free Tax Legislation? 250
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 234
- Director Loan account operation 232
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 158