Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- Comments on this scenario 102 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,628 67
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 74 2
- Penalties 108 1
- SAGE con 218 4
- rates of pay query 215 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 135 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 103 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 129 3
- Have i messed up? 666 10
- Year end 361 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 217 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 105 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 128 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 594 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,012
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 548
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150