Corporation tax payment error
A friend has just come to me with a problem regarding his small limited company. He made a corporation tax payment to HMRC but used the incorrect sort code and account for HMRC along with the wrong reference (he used the Giro only account/sort code for a none giro payment and used the company's tax reference rather than the specific payment reference HMRC provide). The payment cannot be seen on his online 'business dashboard' when he logs into HMRC.
How should he proceed with resolving this with HMRC? I have told him to just ring them and speak to them but he is panicking and thinks he will be in trouble/lost his payment.
A second problem he has is that he thought he had changed his accounting year end to 31st March 2012 (the basis of the payment he made) but upon checking with companies house it is August 2012 still. I presume he can just make another payment (with the correct details this time) to HMRC for the extra tax for the extra 5 months and file his accounts/tax return as usual?
The company has since ceased trading and will be closing down so there is little point in changing the accounting reference date anymore.
Many thanks for any comments.
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 481 8
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 149 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 560 18
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 112 5
- Corrupt Excel File 659 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 322 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,947 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,160 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 272 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 358 7
- Personal Tax 392 10
- Xerocon 2016 924 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,606 24
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 108 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 206 4
- last minute request 437 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,233 46
- Practical experience 891 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 267 2
- Mortgage Reference 300 2