Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Disbursement of recharge 385 3
- When to tick the estimated figures on ct600 19 1
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 304 9
- Mortgage Reference 905 16
- Payroll manager and the cloud 307 1
- CIMA CBA or AAT 108 4
- Rental of property in New Zealand 151 1
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 131 1
- RTI offline? 616 2
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 154 1
- CIS and Xero 278 1
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 257 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 177 2
- property capital gains 412 4
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 153 2
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 941 9
- Tips on meals 572 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,353 15
- S.455 Tax again 456 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 234 3