Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- What do you all do in your spare time? 655 29
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 21 1
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 157 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 426 8
- VAT on employee loan 268 4
- Accountants website 338 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 52 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 96 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 344 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,399 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 213 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 160 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 207 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 193 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 713 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Purchased Goodwill 142 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 83 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 110 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 224 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 931
- QROP pension input amounts 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 341
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 267
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 237
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189