Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- New Practice 288 17
- BTC Software 145 6
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 79 1
- CGT on second home? 65 3
- Myfirmsapp 687 17
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 252 6
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 203 6
- Feedback on Kashflow and VAT 49 1
- Sage reporting 48 2
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 73 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 851 29
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 484 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 672 25
- Directors loan accounts 136 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,160 17
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 150 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 267 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 543 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 105 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 2,003 25
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 473
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 337
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 258
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 224
- Quickbooks 2015 154