Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Transferring rental property to limited company 287 10
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 46 1
- Revenue phishing examples 51 1
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 320 11
- iris update 11.9.2 154 2
- Land Registry 195 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 429 13
- Company Number 10000000 199 3
- IR35 325 4
- 2015 tax year end 511 1
- Company Structure 227 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,276 25
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 753 17
- Advertising Tips? 209 6
- Not renewing AAT 1,454 14
- Cloud-based email services? 261 6
- Dormant co. now trading 320 9
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,699 21
- Online or Paper 64-8? 231 4
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 427 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 728
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 430
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 370
- Costly Accounting Software contract 353
- Directors' advances and credits 279
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 259
- DTA tie-breaker issue 246
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 207
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195