Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Accountants' Error 682 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 139 3
- Scoot 170 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 145 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 190 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 659 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,445 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 103 1
- Regaining my qualification 189 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 232 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 216 2
- Auto enrolment 186 3
- Shareholder agreement 168 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 159 3
- Employee Loan 201 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 461 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 588 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 141 1
- Wear and tear allowance 461 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 760
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 521
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 353
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 251
- IRIS Open Books problem 241