Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- 40% rule for travel expenses 250 4
- capital gains on PPR 55 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,568 430
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 294 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 198 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 249 8
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,200 61
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 392 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,377 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 333 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 279 8
- PRR 309 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 205 3
- corp tax software 372 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 453 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 481 7
- Which tax box 202 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 166 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 284 3
- References for clients 247 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 286
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 152
- CIS paid under reg 9 145