Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Funds received in advance of share issue 21 1
- Great Service 892 10
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 472 9
- WIP valuation at year end 229 4
- Getting a business loan with a personal default 46 1
- Speed of VAT registration 59 1
- Difficult handover 399 5
- Selling Fees 159 3
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,022 26
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 411 1
- Sale of overseas investment property 154 5
- PAYE & NIC 641 31
- Can't vote dividends due to minority shareholder 228 3
- Can I call Agent Dedicated line to request UTR be posted? 179 2
- German VAT registration? 107 2
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 272 4
- salary earned outside UK 206 4
- Contact number for HMRC Banking? 129 1
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 597 9
- revenue or capital if 200 1
- Sanzar 513
- Digital marketing focus group 406
- Sainsbury's mangement 363
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 361
- Continuity Agreement 343
- Avanti Accounts 341
- Buyback 295
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 245
- Aggresive sales from Iris 223
- Charity volunteers and mileage 182