Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 166 2
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,285 13
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 564 7
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 151 3
- HMRC Postal Delays 285 8
- Termination Payment 470 15
- Company Share Buy Back 328 8
- P11D Car Value 93 2
- Business lending another business money (UK) 237 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,971 30
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 286 5
- bookkeeping system 675 9
- Legal advisor recommendation please 185 3
- Landing clients 705 21
- Signed accounts for bank 526 10
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 130 3
- Time to react ? ? ? 673 6
- Dividends 152 3
- Closure of PAYE scheme 146 1
- cash the returned VAT cheque 337 3