Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- reporting salary? 205 5
- Wrong career 232 9
- Other forums 146 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 344 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 128 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 112 2
- VT accounts licence key 95 3
- Underpaid National Insurance 115 2
- Career Advice 147 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 104 2
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,904 29
- Would this save hours of your time? 238 5
- Payroo Employer allowance query 84 1
- non resident receiving UK dividends 171 2
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 216 6
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 104 3
- Agent with HMRC 280 11
- Quarterly PAYE 279 8
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 191 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 575 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 775
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 530
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 395
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 281
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 224
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 219
- Director Loan account operation 217
- Free Tax Legislation? 211
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 209
- vat return 180