Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 357 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 447 13
- Auto-Enrolment 4,271 188
- VAT on exports to EU 110 5
- 5th April 385 16
- s455 Directors loan 252 4
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 609 24
- Company buy back of shares from directors 229 11
- NIC thresholds - two employments 2,000 33
- Cash basis 157 5
- Cash basis 812 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 287 2
- Investor exit 258 4
- client threatening legal action 2,338 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 149 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 251 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 353 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,605 23
- Rental income 185 2
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 79 1
- Skandia using wrong address 617
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 328
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 276
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 156
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 145
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 141