Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 134 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 185 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 86 1
- Invoice Help 221 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 145 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 224 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 218 3
- Sorry ignore me 890 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 565 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,935 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,246 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 795 20
- VAT & capitalising 85 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 337 5
- Free Shares ? 243 2
- Is this a scam? 563 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 296 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 279 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 150 1
- Peer to Peer lending 869 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165