Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 275 5
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,218 36
- Start up allowance? 172 7
- Business rates consultancy 193 3
- Surely not? 88 2
- AIA or IFA 299 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 119 4
- Old CGT loss 88 1
- Share structures 71 1
- Late Registration for VAT 292 10
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 267 4
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 560 8
- Are HMRC staff on early 483 7
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 168 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 205 4
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 196 9
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 858 13
- Reverse charge and EC sales list 107 2
- CGT and Expenses on Property Rental Business 79 1
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 211 6
- TheTax Donut 1,034
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 683
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 626
- Follower cases 491
- Limited company purchase of property 428
- Hive up 421
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 389
- corporate hierarchy 384
- LIVE chat, starting now 338
- Advice - 192