Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,504 59
- VAT - Recharge 49 1
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 142 3
- Legal title not in the company name 140 8
- Deduction from Salary 183 5
- transitioning payroll 134 3
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,732 30
- Car financed by employee 182 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 107 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 618 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 154 3
- Dividend payment date 2,188 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 147 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 170 2
- One off meeting new client 1,422 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 304 6
- Child tax credits 226 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 189 2
- PITA client 568 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 359
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 302
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 276
- Probiz 266
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 220
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 197
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 168