Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Goodwill ammortisation 212 2
- Overpayment relief claim 94 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 208 9
- Related Parties Note 363 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,506 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 497 28
- Charity reserves 104 2
- SAGE con 128 1
- Aggressive HMRC 1,450 16
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 484 8
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 122 1
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,236 19
- do I have to pay NI? 259 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 94 3
- rates of pay query 143 1
- Flat rate vat error 410 8
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 95 2
- How to format a stock book 393 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 269 8
- Investment property company accounts template 262 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 996
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 540
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 357
- Tax efficient holding company structure 284
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 268
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 201
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Interest on Loan to a Company 168