Corporation Tax relief on Goodwill write off
My Client owns 21% of an LLP. He is selling part of this holding to a Limited Company (which he has 100% control over), so the transaction is 'not at arms length'.
The Partnership share comes with rights to a guarenteed monthly drawing of £7,000 and the asset is valued at £200,000.
My Client is of the opinion, that he can write down the value of the intangible investment over 25 years, or even less. He has had advice from a financial advisor suggesting that the income received from the monthly drawing can be offset against the write down cost of the investment , thus no CT.
I have told him this advice is incorrect, as Intangible Asset w/downs are not allowable under CA relief. He has suggested that under CTA2009 (S728 onwards) there is the provision for obtaining tax relief on such write downs.
I have suggested that at best this relief would offer 4% per annum relief and this could not be justified as transaction not at arms length and there is no finite end to the monthly fee payment so there is little arguement to devalue the asset.
Even if all this wasn't relavent, the relief (at 4%) would only equate to £8k which would not put a dent in the £84,000 minimum income a year from the investment.
Unfortunately this is one of those Client's who reads a bit of information regarding Tax legislation, finds a bit that justifies his actions then will not budge from this position. If I am missing something I would appreciate a steer.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 106 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 322 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 210 3
- FreeAgent question 94 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 119 2
- CIS monthly returns 175 2
- Goodie bag 1,550 52
- Husband Wife let property 347 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 499 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 279 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 136 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 131 1
- CT600 Advice 127 1
- Fair Value Accounting 77 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 142 4
- can I approach clients ? 405 8
- Companies House Penalties 137 2
- Apostille documents 115 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 545 13
- Possible Partnership? 642
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 446
- Fuming! 381
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 255
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 176