Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,018 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 242 2
- Dental practice incorpration 106 1
- Audit rules 151 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 223 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 811 20
- Go Cardless 260 8
- business entertaining deductibility 118 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 131 2
- R & D 101 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 74 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 107 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 152 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 148 1
- New Business Registration 212 5
- Hosted email exchange 131 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 146 1
- G P life time allowance 115 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 374 11
- Bringing money to Uk 217 3
- Xtuple 501
- Qtac payroll for bureau 335
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 280
- Industrial & Provident Societies 276
- Mehjoo 220
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 170
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 154
- CIS schemes 149