Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,431 43
- Private use for Small hotel owner: historic rules 86 1
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 118 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 152 5
- Career change - how to get relevant experience? 1,038 11
- Late leaver notification 140 4
- A little bit of politics 459 6
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 265 6
- Filling in my self assessment 679 14
- Should small companies be audited? 979 41
- Mileage claim restriction 364 3
- Self Assessment employed and self employed 142 1
- Overlap profit 570 15
- What does PITA mean? 424 9
- career 344 2
- Help required please 463 10
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 462 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 226 3
- Vat to be Paid? 218 3
- CGT base cost 311 11
- Sanzar 453
- Digital marketing focus group 376
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 339
- Continuity Agreement 289
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 274
- Sainsbury's mangement 266
- Buyback 263
- Avanti Accounts 246
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 200
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 173