Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,321 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 263 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 852 18
- NALS Accountants Report 99 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,467 35
- Legal title not in the company name 270 10
- Dividend dates 561 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 125 3
- Sole properietor 169 4
- transitioning payroll 237 8
- dividend proposals 104 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 231 2
- Deduction from Salary 296 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 191 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,725 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 88 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 255 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 89 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 311
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176