Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- vat help for catering concession 84 1
- More AE! 103 6
- Merger of Two companies 517 20
- RTI and Directors' salaries 81 1
- Merging 484 12
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 208 6
- Excuses, excuses!!! 376 1
- Travel costs and contractors 215 1
- Why should I retain membership? 3,482 56
- Merger of Two companies 406 14
- VAT overcharged to customers 392 6
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 105 1
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 177 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 98 1
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 172 4
- CIC Dividend Cap 301 10
- IHT dilemma 997 16
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 911 21
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 275 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 673 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 973
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 741
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 429
- Digita Hosted Software 246
- Social investment tax relief 241
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 239
- Call Centre Data Costs 224
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 210
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 180
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 141