Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 254 5
- Vat on new builds 59 1
- Using home as clients registered address 227 5
- VAT MOSS registration 96 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 468 15
- How much does the company pay 818 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 163 4
- Cocaine anyone? 887 14
- HMRC property income enquiry 455 10
- Proof of identification 126 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 153 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 123 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 308 5
- Childcare vouchers 373 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 102 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 92 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 88 1
- two business from one premises 193 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 70 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 375 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 510
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 330
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 279
- WWOOFers 267
- The booking.com con 252
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 252
- Cocaine anyone? 235
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 228
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178