Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Use of home deduction 496 15
- Copy Wanted 665 3
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 30 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 848 31
- Non resident income. 237 12
- Company dividends 392 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 60 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 83 2
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 176 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 531 21
- Software 329 8
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 400 6
- SA late payment penalty 183 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 297 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 105 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 109 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 114 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 122 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,419 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 264 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 853
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 547
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 514
- Latest phishing scam 402
- Entrepreneurs' relief 374
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 334
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 317
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 302
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 213
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190