Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Being Tax relevant 377 4
- FIFA game and making money 111 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,293 230
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 116 2
- Client has never prepared tax returns 323 2
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 101 2
- Recycle old study books 399 10
- Tax investigation pending 1,386 8
- Trademark Fun 252 7
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 83 2
- Distribution on cessation of trade 226 4
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 156 1
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 223 6
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,535 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 235 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 195 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 718 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 242 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 202 1
- Share for share exchange 177 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,062
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 345
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 292
- National Insurance 246
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 226
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 210
- Payments on account coded out?? 204
- Non Resident 165
- Franchise income and costs 155