Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Abolish the penalty regime 26 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 231 3
- Gift or Capital Gain? 313 9
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 314 6
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 872 24
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 287 7
- Capital Gain? 421 11
- IHT Query 99 2
- Reversing out RTI 150 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 299 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 277 6
- BrightPay 624 18
- Classic cars investment 248 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 246 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 327 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 360 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 277 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 283 2
- H&W company 267 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 218 3
- Benchmarking 498
- Possible Partnership? 445
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 418
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 416
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 362
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 217
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 213
- Clubs and Taxable Income 205
- Income tax on foreign dividends 196
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 191