Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- What's the best software for this? 409 4
- Email encryption 1,400 15
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,189 22
- Next Move 737 21
- Zoho Books 167 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 246 3
- Self-assessment statistics 2,495 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 322 5
- Transmission of ISA 142 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 220 2
- Not renewing AAT 688 9
- CGT of shares gifted 389 6
- New dividend taxation 537 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,821 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 185 1
- Company car v company allowance 313 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 444 9
- Company formation and bank account 468 9
- Owning overseas property 372 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 295 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 673
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 412
- Property letting & CAs 405
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 349
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- Costly Accounting Software contract 231
- DTA tie-breaker issue 221