Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Undeclared rental income 1,395 14
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,233 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 55 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 244 3
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,003 11
- PRR 547 16
- Cash basis 90 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 189 2
- Partially exempt? 297 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 238 3
- Lorry Drivers 289 4
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 499 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 92 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 228 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 205 4
- Money laundering POCA 371 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 93 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 182 3
- client threatening legal action 2,027 29
- Incorporation Relief 183 3
- Skandia using wrong address 522
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 286
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 284
- Employee rewards 273
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 246
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 237
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 229
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 136