Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- When to include value of import in Box 7 58 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 159 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 297 7
- Capital gain? 73 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,242 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 262 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 346 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 412 8
- vat help for catering concession 273 10
- IHT dilemma 1,153 17
- Tax return software for remote working 230 3
- CGT 330 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 318 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 107 2
- Compliance check 508 13
- sole trader accountant 782 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 603 21
- More AE! 495 11
- How to classify an asset 157 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 777
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 461
- Digita Hosted Software 279
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 223
- Credit where credit's due....... 215
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 204
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 185
- Director phone costs 148