Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Jobs after completing ACCA 93 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 569 11
- are these allowable deductions? 85 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,636 20
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 132 3
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 556 12
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 62 1
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 54 1
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 397 6
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 128 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 411 7
- Schedule A losses 147 1
- Identify cost savings 167 3
- Member meet up 1 October in London 296 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 184 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 828 1
- Fees 778 8
- P11D & tax return 281 10
- Freelance/Employee 921 22
- VAT on children's clothing 182 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 332
- S222 Charge 267
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 240
- AIA 212
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 203
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 170
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157