Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 242 7
- Directors loan accounts 374 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 314 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 252 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 102 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 179 1
- Employed clients and expenses 793 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,032 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 696 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 902 34
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,105 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 510 18
- I.d for vat registration 271 10
- Bookkeping software 901 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 288 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 251 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 345 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,827 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 129 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 161 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 540
- NOVA 489
- Bonus Bonds 375
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 353
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 139