Cost of adopting a road - Revenue or capital?
I am looking at a case where the client owns a number of properties in different areas. For one of them there are included costs of having the road adopted during the last year.
My initial thought was that this was capital and not allowable against the letting income, but in due course on the ultimate sale in the CGT computation.
Having done a little more research it would appear that these costs are probably repair costs payable to the council adopting the road to bring it up to standard for them to then take on responsibility for maintaing the road that was originally the responsibility of the owners. This being so it seems more likely that the costs are repairs and should be allowable against the rental income.
The costs do not exceed income and a profit will remain for the year, albeit reduced on previous years.
Do others have any experience of having argued this point with HMRC, or any views on which side of the line the expense falls?
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,022 33
- vat return 245 3
- Flat rate vat 79 1
- Payroo Employer allowance query 167 5
- Value pricing 715 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 147 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 177 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 284 4
- Reregister for VAT 131 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 197 6
- Weely paid employees 243 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 476 11
- Director's tax return 281 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 216 6
- Wrong career 479 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 288 7
- Laptop purchase 1,393 20
- PTP software disaster 281 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 234 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 103 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 798
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 416
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 294
- Free Tax Legislation? 266
- Director Loan account operation 245
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 240
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 238
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 159